OnePlus 7 Pro [Nebula Blue] - Review - @avi.seth123 [UPDATED 8th June 2019]

1. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 15, 2019

avi.seth123, May 15, 2019 :
    Presentation1.jpg

I am super psyched to be a part of the selected few who will be reviewing the OnePlus 7 Pro for the OnePlus community on behalf of OnePlus' The Lab program.

You can find the complete unboxing in this video -

Review chapters:

0. Unboxing [Scroll below]
    1. Display
    2. Performance
    3. Camera
    4. Battery
    5. Experience
    6. Conclusion (and bonus photos of the phone!)

Let us start with the unboxing and initial impressions!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

2. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 21, 2019

Stickied Post
    avi.seth123, May 21, 2019 :
    The Display

This has to be the talking point about the phone. This is the reason why the popup camera exists. This is how it differentiates itself from the OnePlus 7. And boy does it not disappoint. Infact, in a world where the Samsung Galaxy S10+ is the Sachin Tendulkar of mobile displays, the OnePlus 7 Pro is the Rahul Dravid of the same. I am not saying the 6T had a bad display, but the 7 Pro still manages to improve upon it drastically. And this speaks more about the quality of the 7 Pro than it does about the 6T. The S10+ is undoubtedly the king of displays in the mobile world, and it is so, so good, that it looks like a sticker on a panel of a glass. The OnePlus 7 Pro is the only other phone which comes this close to looking like a sticker. And I haven't even touched the refresh rate till now. This is not marketed as a gaming phone, yet equipped with a 90Hz panel. Explaining this is difficult, you really need to feel it. And it is a double edged sword: the OnePlus 7 Pro is wickedly fast; and couple it with the 90Hz panel, it becomes the fastest thing you would have seen till now. Why a double edged sword though? You simply can not go back. As soon you as you switch back to 60Hz, the difference is apparent.

This is also the first time a OnePlus phone comes with a QHD/+ display. And it makes a definite difference. At 6.67 inches, not only is this the largest mainstream flagship phone, but also super sharp and brilliantly accurate as far as the colours are concerned. The resolution is adaptive by default, which means it will try and revert back to FHD+ to save battery when it can, but you can also set it to QHD+ or FHD+ manually. The refresh rate, right now however, is not adaptive. In future software builds though, we may see a adaptive option which may keep switching between 60 and 90Hz.
    In Utilities -> OnePlus Laboratory, you can enable DC Dimming. This will lower the energy supply to the screen during dark environments, giving you an even darker screen at night. Night Mode brings along colour temperate shift and light intensity shifts, and the Reading mode also carries over.

All in all, this display according to me is right up there at the top, losing only to the best of Samsung by a marginal difference, but very well making up for it by having that 90Hz refresh rate. Honestly, it is difficult to choose. But I would probably pick this over the Samsung, 9 times out of 10.

Screenshot_20190521-170100.jpg

Screenshot_20190521-170105.jpg

20190515_131057jpg.jpg

buntycubal and AnonymousWP like this.
  3. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    avi.seth123, Jun 7, 2019 :
    Performance

I don’t know how to review OnePlus phones anymore. They are the fastest phones in the world, price no bar. And OnePlus knows this, and they added a 90Hz display to make it even faster. Well, that is the only way they could make their own phones any faster!

This phone is a speed monster, no kidding. I got the 8GB variant for review purposes, but I am pretty sure the 6GB variant will serve you just fine, as well. I haven’t really tested the UFS 3.0 storage, you will find it on other fellow reviewer’s reviews. I have noticed that the app installs are much faster, though.

Gaming is a pleasurable experience on this phone. It possibly could be the best gaming phone. It has a Quad HD+ display, and a 90Hz refresh rate. Most 90-120Hz phones have a Full HD+ display. Gaming mode is a nice touch too. I played PUBG and Asphalt 9, and it definitely feels much smoother.

This is the fastest phone that exists, atleast on this planet. No doubts about this.

4. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    Battery

This is a mixed bag for me. When at Auto Resolution (where the software shifts between QHD+ and FHD+ automatically based on what content is being displayed) and 90Hz, the battery life is just enough to get me through about 10-11 hours with about 4-5 hours of SoT. When I move down to 60Hz, I can push 14-16 hours with about 7-8 hours of SoT, now that IS impressive.

Now, my typical usage during the review period included 30-45 minutes of YouTube, about half an hour of Netflix on average, almost 4-5 hours of WhatsApp, a couple of hours of Instagramming, and about 20-30 minutes of clicking photos. Apart from this, constant music being streamed to my Bullets Wireless (1st gen) for an hour of gymming, and 30 mins of music playback by the speakers when I sleep at night. Occasionally, my Ticwatch E is also connected. WiFi always on, mobile data always on (but rarely used during the review period) and brightness set to auto. I will leave a healthy number of screenshots here to help you build a conclusion.

However, the fact that this phone can fully charge in 60-65 minutes, and takes about 20 minutes to charge about 45%, and 63% in 30 mins (all from 0%) completely changes the ballgame. This phone is a speed beast in every manner possible.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  5. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    Experience

The phone is heavy. There is no two ways about it. At north of 200g, this phone is heavy. But it also carries a gargantuan 6.7” display! Coming from a Galaxy S10+ and a Zenfone 5z, it still hasn’t grown on me properly yet. But it is definitely manageable. Not a one-handed phone by any means, and neither does OxygenOS have a one-handed mode yet, so if you are averse to large screens, stick to the regular OnePlus 7.

Zen Mode is amazing, for when I need to really work. You can not disable it and it works for 20 mins. It allows you to only take calls. The camera app is also perfect, with everything you would need and a full fledged Pro Mode.

The audio experience is fantastic. The speakers are very well tuned, and Dolby Atmos is a nice touch. The HDR display adds to the fun element. The phone skips over a 3.5mm headphone jack, and I am not convinced with the reasoning. It also misses out on Wireless Charging and an IP rating. The former, I really don’t care about given how lacklustre wireless charging usually is, and how fast this phone can charge wired. I am sure most of you won’t miss it either. The latter, is a bit weird. So, OnePlus has actually gone the distance to ensure the phone is technically water resistant and completes all the requirements an IP rated phone needs to have to be certified, but has not paid for the certification to save on costs. Makes sense, anyway IP rated phones aren’t covered for water damage in warranty. They just prevent the damage. I am still not throwing this in water, because this does not give me the kind of mental satisfaction as the S10+ and the S8 before that gave. (Both of which, I used to weekly wash under running water). This is a situation akin to attending every university lecture but not paying for the degree. You still are as competent and learned as the others, but just do not have the official stamp for the same.

All in all, I feel the compromises are understandable.

6. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

Stickied Post
    avi.seth123, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Camera

YOU WERE WAITING FOR THIS. Weren’t you? The aging discussion since a few years now. OnePlus phones perform to the highest level except when it comes to the cameras. Can it do any better?

This comes with a 48MP (downsampled to 12MP shots) main lens with an f/1.6 aperture. The ultra wide lens is a 16MP shooter at f/2.2, and the telephoto is an 8MP at f/2.4 which has 3x zoom and is used for portraits (at a slight smaller crop). Both the main and the telephoto sensors have OIS and Laser/PDAF. Contrary to popular belief, no, OnePlus is NOT using a 2.2x sensor and digitally cropping it to get 3x. The sensor really is 3x. Read more about it here.

Disclaimer: One day before this goes live, we received a major camera update as part of OxygenOS 9.5.7. I would like to test it further to deliver a final conclusion. So here I will just share my thoughts till 9.5.5/9.5.6 and give you a basic judgement. This will be updated soon if need be.

The main camera is fantastic. It delivers crisp photos, and they are the most colour accurate I have ever seen in any phone. Now for the purpose of this review, I will be referring to the S10+ and the Pixel 3/3a a lot. I have personally used the S10+ and it has a very similar setup. I don’t have a Pixel 3 with me but a Pixel 2. And most of my references to the Pixel 3/3a will be based off my comparisons with the Pixel 2. Obviously, if the Pixel 2 performs better somewhere, the 3/3a will improve that even further, or stay the same at worst. So, yes, the main camera on the 7 Pro is more accurate than the S10+ and Pixels. The dynamic range is very good but has room for improvement.

The wide angle, is not as wide as on the S10+ but has extremely good distortion correction. It lacks the color parity with the main camera that the S10+ sustains. Color temperatures shift anywhere between noticeable to wild differences when shifting between all three cameras.

The telephoto camera is very good. 3x is much better than 2x, and gets you amazing macro shots. Again, color differences are an issue.

Nightscape 2.0 is a major improvement. It still over sharpens like hell, and flattens out the image too much, compared to Google’s night sight. But blows Samsung’s Night Mode out of the water. Apparently, 9.5.7 updates Nighscape to a good degree as well, so won’t comment a lot right now. Hopefully, I will create new thread purely for the Camera review (Comparison shots with the S10e/Pixel 2 and GCam on 7 Pro itself, let me know if you’d like that!)

Please note I am not too much of a selfie person, so I haven’t clicked a lot of them yet. It performs really well though. Definitely top 5. Same goes for video. I will update these soon.

All in all, if the OnePlus 6/T stood at a B+ while the Pixels and the Note 9/S10 were about A+, the OnePlus 7 Pro is now entering the A/A- territory. The updates have pushed the camera a solid 20-30% better than as it was when it shipped, in front of my eyes! And I am pretty sure a stable Google Camera port will blow any other phone out of the market.

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG Slide5.JPG Slide6.JPG Slide7.JPG Slide8.JPG Slide9.JPG Slide10.JPG Slide11.JPG Slide12.JPG Slide13.JPG Slide14.JPG Slide15.JPG Slide16.JPG Slide17.JPG Slide18.JPG Slide19.JPG Slide20.JPG Slide21.JPG Slide22.JPG Slide23.JPG

Now, let us look at the telephoto, main, and wide angle shots compared in that order (top to bottom):

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  7. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

Stickied Post
    avi.seth123, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Conclusion

The funny part begins. This phone has nothing going against it. A gorgeous build, a brilliant in hand feel, top class camera hardware and the camera software just keeps improving so much. The performance is unparalleled at any price point. The screen is almost neck to neck with the S10+. The battery life is almost good enough, but the warp charging makes up for it.

The only thing going against it is the existence of the OnePlus 7. With a better battery life thanks to a smaller, lower-res, 60Hz display; the same main camera, same performance, similar speakers; the price is hard to beat!

OnePlus 7 (6GB/128GB) – 32,999INR ~ 475$

OnePlus 7 Pro (6GB/128GB) – 48,999INR ~ 705$ (up from USA’s 670$)

Atleast in India, that 16,000/240$ price difference is good enough to get you a very good midrange phone! (Think Poco F1).

If you love the camera diversity, go for this phone. If you want the absolute best point and shoot experience, the Pixel 3a/XL are both cheaper than the 7 Pro and hard to beat. Although as phones, they are much worse in almost every department. But they come with a headphone jack.

Otherwise, to be very honest, the OnePlus 7 is the perfect phone to get for most people.

Disclaimer: All photos of the phone are taken by the Galaxy S10e.

NOTE: IF I HAVE LEFT ANYTHING OUT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I will incorporate those points in a Q&A post soon!

AND NOW, thank you for reading all along, here are some bonus photos! (Sneak peak from my video review which will be up soon!)

20190606_093431.jpg 20190606_095857.jpg 20190606_095957.jpg 20190606_100554.jpg 20190606_101142.jpg

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  8. meatandy Oreo May 15, 2019

buntycubal, YRJ and avi.seth123 like this.
  9. YRJ Lollipop May 16, 2019

10. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 16, 2019

avi.seth123, May 16, 2019 :
    I'll use it for 3-4 more days and come up with them!

11. YRJ Lollipop May 16, 2019

YRJ, May 16, 2019 :
    Sure thing! :)

avi.seth123 likes this.
  12. kenny33 Honeycomb May 16, 2019

kenny33, May 16, 2019 :
    First react : Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat ? Why are you putting this phone case on such a beautifull back ! (speacking of the phone only the phone !)

13. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 16, 2019

Have to cover it by something :p I am clumsy!

14. idkwhoiam322 Nougat May 16, 2019

idkwhoiam322, May 16, 2019 :
    Would be nice if you posted pics of the rest of the stuff in the box too :)
    And, I notice that you've already dumped the OP launcher. Is there a reason why? Would love to know your thoughts about it. So far so good though, good luck, have fun! Will wait for the rest of the review!

buntycubal, manuel19 and avi.seth123 like this.
  15. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 16, 2019

That's there in the Unboxing video!
    And yes, although the stock launcher is quite decent, I am used to Action Launcher's swipe on folder gestures. This lets me open the first app by touching the folder and expands the folder if I swipe on it. So the icons you see on my home screen are mostly folders.

idkwhoiam322 likes this.
  16. Loveit Jelly Bean May 21, 2019

Loveit, May 21, 2019 :
    Are you a shill?

Startech17 likes this.
  17. Mr West The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019

avi.seth123 likes this.
  18. avi.seth123 The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 8, 2019