oneplus 7 pro wrap charge(30watt)

1. G_venkat_r_fFci
    Honeycomb May 31, 2019

G_venkat_r_fFci , May 31, 2019 :
    my so called oneplus 7 Pro takes 1 hour 26 minutes to get charge from 0 to 100% in switch off state
    am I the only guy facing this?
    or they are any other people facing the same issue??

C1559120274402 likes this.
  2. Gupts007
    Froyo Jun 1, 2019

Gupts007 , Jun 1, 2019 :
    You are not alone. The so called warp speed isn't warp speed anymore. I too have observed that the dash chargers were faster.

The higher wattage in the warp charger makes us believe that charging speed will be quicker but since the battery is also bigger it doesn't really improve the charging time.

3. DragoLac
    Eclair Jun 1, 2019

DragoLac , Jun 1, 2019 :
    It's because of LiPo charging procedure, and OnePlus not willing to spend money on more expensive battery.
    All LiPo batteries are first charged with constant current, until the battery reaches 4,2V/cell and then you have to charge with constant voltage (you reduce the current to keep the battery voltage under 4.2V) until full.

You can check this with battery monitoring apps (like Aida64). When your battery is at low charge level (lets say 5%) the charger can pump full power (5V x 6A = 30W) but after the battery reaches 4.2V the charger reduces the current. In OnePlus 7Pro case this is at about 30% charge, and at about 40-45% charge the charging current drops to 4A (5V x 4A = 20W) and goes lower as you battery reaches higher charge levels.

So from this you can see that 30W charging is faster than 20W charging only for the first 40%, and after that the charging speed is the same (battery limited)! A work around is to use battery's with lower internal resistance that can accept higher power until higher charge levels (in best case scenario to about 70%) but they are more expensive, heavier and more bulky, all traits not desirable in smartphones.

To further stretch this, Xiaomi and Samsung are touting 100W charging, but as you can see from the upper mentioned OnePlus 7 Pro scenario the battery is the limiting factor in fast charging not the charger. So if they keep the same battery specs (95% expected because of cost/packaging reasons) those 100W will maybe reduce charging times by about 5-10min compared to currently usual 20-30W chargers.

4. G_venkat_r_fFci
    Honeycomb Jun 1, 2019

G_venkat_r_fFci , Jun 1, 2019 :
    yes
    my old oneplus 5 charges very fast with its dash charger

5. G_venkat_r_fFci
    Honeycomb Jun 1, 2019

G_venkat_r_fFci , Jun 1, 2019 :
    very good information bro.

thank you

Gaurav Rohilla likes this.
  6. Rahstyles
    Gingerbread Jun 1, 2019

Rahstyles , Jun 1, 2019 :

They should split the battery to have 2 2100mah batteries.. and have a 60watt charger.. and have both batteries charge at 30watt each.. They can improved the speeds and have 100% charge in like 30min... I seen this done with the Oppo Super Vooc.. the same tech oneplus uses... just they dont want to dethrone there big brother company... which i find stupid cause oppo isnt even a competition here in the USA cause they dont sell those devices here.

7. DragoLac
    Eclair Jun 1, 2019

DragoLac , Jun 1, 2019 :
    If you keep the same chemistry and use 2x2000mAh instead of 1x4000mAh battery that won't change anything since without changing the chemistry the 1 x larger battery has the same characteristic as the 2 x smaller batteries.

Oppo uses batteries with lower internal resistance (more expensive, heavier, bigger) to get higher charging speeds! Additionally they connect them in series (to get 2x4.2=8.4V battery voltage) primarily to reduce the current in the charging cable/connector. So in Super VOOC instead of 5V/10A they are using 10V/5A charging.

Budruel likes this.