Oneplus 7 touch issues

1. San Shotz
    Eclair Sep 1, 2019

devil4 likes this.
  2. ascent
    Honeycomb Sep 1, 2019

ascent , Sep 1, 2019 :
    I have so far been unable to reproduce the weird ghosttouches, I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more.

TVTV likes this.
  3. TVTV
    Gingerbread Sep 1, 2019

4. ascent
    Honeycomb Sep 2, 2019

TVTV likes this.
  5. tagilso
    Eclair Sep 2, 2019

tagilso , Sep 2, 2019 :
    Unfortunately for us this is not something that an Android version bump could fix.
    The issue must be addressed by OnePlus or nothing will ever change.
    I'm losing my patience and I have started looking around for another phone. It would be very sad to say goodbye forever to OnePlus, but they are pushing me to this.

TVTV likes this.
  6. ascent
    Honeycomb Sep 2, 2019

ascent , Sep 2, 2019 :
    I'm in doubt what else we can do too, but I'm not sure if I can simply get a refund for this. Selling a device 2nd hand with a flaw like this feels weird too..

TVTV likes this.
  7. Dr4g0n36
    Froyo Sep 3, 2019

Dr4g0n36 , Sep 3, 2019 :
    same for me, even when typing (inserting random added letter to words)

TVTV likes this.
  8. TVTV
    Gingerbread Sep 3, 2019

TVTV , Sep 3, 2019 :
    Hello JPare,

Have you received any word from OnePlus at all?

At this time you are our only hope for news since OP support seems to be at a complete loss.

Alex

9. JPare
    Donut Sep 3, 2019

JPare , Sep 3, 2019 :
    Hello Alex,

I have sent my phone in but I still haven't heard from them, I guess that they will contact after they have studied the case and determinate if the issue is covered by guarantee or not (for sure it has to be). I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them.

On another note, I would like to remark the fact that the process I'm going through is covered by OnePlus' guarantee so I'm surprised no one has done it before. We have the same issue in common, this accredits that OP7 has an issue to be solved by the company and to be honest I never expected that non-reaction from OnePlus...

Nevertheless, I really hope and trust that they will find a solution and give as answers as soon as possible.

JPare

TVTV and eduardeutsch like this.
  10. TVTV
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2019

TVTV , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Hello JPare,

Thank you for a most comprehensive update! Hopefully OP will come back to you sooner rather than later.

I've thought about sending my phone in but not having a proper backup (my LG G4 died and the HTC One SV is running Android 4.4) means that I cannot unless I am 100% sure that the only way they can fix it is via repair or full phone replacement. I'm running a few MFA apps I use for work which require extensive effort to set up so I thought I'd wait and see if OP'd fix our issue the same way they did with the Pro (firmware update). If your phone comes back fixed then I'll purchase a beater running a decent/recent version of Android and send my 7 in for repairs as well.

Concerning OP's lack of reaction, despite them being a "community-driven company", I am sure that when it comes to stuff like this they will not make any public comments unless the issue in question is a huge one. See how they have reacted to the touch issues that the Pro's had. But we're only a handful of people complaining here so they may not care.
    At this point I am positive that all EU terminals present this issue but as most people use full cases the issue goes by unnoticed.

Have a lovely day!

Alex

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019

JPare likes this.
  11. H1567585858441
    Donut Sep 4, 2019

H1567585858441 , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Anyone tried disable three finger screenshot? I just did and it seems to happen a lot less than when i turn it back on

12. San Shotz
    Eclair Sep 4, 2019

San Shotz , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Yes I tried disabling but still I have the problem

eduardeutsch likes this.
  13. TVTV
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2019

TVTV , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Enabling three finger screenshot means that the issue happens way less since the phone is slow to register more than 3 touches when this feature is on. This is in no way a fix, though, but merely a feeble workaround.

Your issue seems to be different than ours since the ghost touches seem to happen for you without touching the metal frame of the phone. Notice how the second touch appears at the same point on the screen every time. You could be suffering from a defective screen or it may be that an app that's causing this behavior.

Alex

14. H1567585858441
    Donut Sep 4, 2019

H1567585858441 , Sep 4, 2019 :
    True, it still happends but a lot less. Hope it's a software issue and oneplus give us a update soon

15. San Shotz
    Eclair Sep 4, 2019

So you think this is not a bug? I've using the phone since 2 months but this particular issue started from 2 weeks. Maybe after an update it came I guess. My version currently is 9.5.8.GM57AA.

16. TVTV
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2019

TVTV , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Well, for us the issue only manifests itself when touching both the screen and the bottom of the phone. Otherwise all is fine. There are no issues when using the phone with a full case on.

If i were you, i'd back up all my data then factory reset. If the issue persists, i'd take my phone to a service center.

Alex

17. San Shotz
    Eclair Sep 4, 2019

Okay I'll try it once.

18. nexuspur
    Eclair Sep 4, 2019

nexuspur , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Just a quick info. I get the same issues on Android 10 open beta 1. I think it's a hardware issue. But it happens randomly to me. Sometimes it's working fine a day. Sometimes it's horrible. If this will not be addressed by OnePlus I will be forced to switch phones. Any suggestions? Also I have tried several times to reset/ reflash the whole rom. Doesn't make any difference. It's sad because otherwise the op7 is a really nice phone....

TVTV and ascent like this.
  19. TVTV
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2019

TVTV , Sep 4, 2019 :
    Unfortunately, no suggestions for now other than using a full case.

The latest official information that we have is that a bug hunter has informed one of our forum colleagues that they are aware of the issue and are working on it. OP support keeps wanting to have remote sessions in order to reinstall the ROM (a procedure which is completely useless).

Alex

20. nexuspur
    Eclair Sep 4, 2019

nexuspur , Sep 4, 2019 :
    What do you mean with full case? The original tpu case from the delivery box?