OnePlus 7T ambient display - Tap to wake and Pick to wake not working

1. mayank1988
    Froyo Oct 26, 2019

mayank1988 , via OnePlus 7T , Oct 26, 2019 :
    Guys...i have actually figured out a way to make the Ambient Display working again.

Initially i was also facing this issue on OnePlus 7T that the Ambient Display would stop working randomly and then all of a sudden it would start working again.

HERE'S THE FIX:

CULPRIT: Proximity Sensor.

LOCATION: Just below the Front Camera. It you Flash a bright LED light you would see 2 small sensors on the screen it self.

HOW TO: Whenever your Ambient Display stops working-

1. Just turn off the display by pressing the power button once.

2. Now take a bright LED light preferably use another smartphone's LED Flashlight.

3. Just bring the light close to the proximity sensor, the turn on the display by pressing the power button then turn it off. Repeat this 2-3 times.

You will notice that the double tap to wake and raise to wake feature start working again.

Well mine did 3 out of 3 times.

It's basically the issue of the proximity sensor that need recalibration.

I hope someone from the OnePlus team is reading this and does the needful to fix this issue once and for all.

Till then keep trying my LED flashlight method to reactivate the Ambient Display.

1572099647594.jpg

2. sivaramav85
    Cupcake Oct 26, 2019

3. ngydat
    Lollipop Oct 26, 2019

ngydat , Oct 26, 2019 :
    Did you try what was suggested in the message above yours ?

4. F1572111938629
    Cupcake Oct 26, 2019

5. mayank1988
    Froyo Oct 26, 2019

mayank1988 , via OnePlus 7T , Oct 26, 2019 :
    Yes..please try and reply to my post if it works for you. Let's see if this works just for me or for everyone.

6. Popa_Vincent_Samuel_ , via OnePlus 7T , Oct 26, 2019 :
    From what I've experienced so far on my 3-days-old OnePlus 7t, it seems that maybe the process that runs in the background all the time - so that it knows when you press on the turned off screen - may be killed after a few minutes if left idle.

When I turn off the screen and tap to wake immediately after - it works ! Only if I let it sit for a while it stops working.

I love this phone, please fix this! .. it bugs me to press on the lock button every time I let my phone sit on the table for more than 5 minutes in order to wake it up ..

7. ngydat
    Lollipop Oct 26, 2019

ngydat , Oct 26, 2019 :
    As you can see, my previous message wasn’t for you. And to answer your question, since I don’t have any issue with this, I didn’t need to do anything.

8. Cknorthpole
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2019

Cknorthpole , via OnePlus 7T , Oct 27, 2019 :
    I have a similar fault. But my issue is that the tap to wake, double tap and and lift to wake that they turn them selves off after a while if the phone lays untouched. Then I need to go in to settings and activate them again, every single time

kernigity likes this.
  9. F_Sandesh_Shetty_FZHC
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2019

F_Sandesh_Shetty_FZHC , Oct 27, 2019 :
    Same here, New device. There is some issue with the proximity and light sensors, seems like a easy fix but oddly OnePlus is not quick to fix on this matter.

kernigity likes this.
  10. 大白痴
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2019

11. vallabh_iaf
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2019

12. mayank1988
    Froyo Oct 27, 2019

mayank1988 , via OnePlus 7T , Oct 27, 2019 :
    okay...sorry to bother you.

13. mayank1988
    Froyo Oct 27, 2019

I have actually figured out a way to make the Ambient Display working again.

Initially i was also facing this issue on OnePlus 7T that the Ambient Display would stop working randomly and then all of a sudden it would start working again.

HERE'S THE FIX:

LOCATION: Just below the Front Camera. If you Flash a bright LED light you would see 2 small sensors on the screen itself.

2. Now take a bright LED light, preferably use another smartphone's LED Flashlight.

3. Just bring the light close to the proximity sensor (1-2mm away) and hold it for 4-5 seconds, then turn on the display by pressing the power button then turn it off. Repeat this 2-3 times.

You will notice that the double tap to wake and raise to wake feature starts working again.

I hope someone from the OnePlus team is reading this and does the needful to fix this issue once and for all.

Till then keep trying my LED flashlight method to reactivate the Ambient Display.

14. mayank1988
    Froyo Oct 27, 2019

I have actually figured out a way to make the Ambient Display working again.

HERE'S THE FIX:

LOCATION: Just below the Front Camera. If you Flash a bright LED light you would see 2 small sensors on the screen itself.

2. Now take a bright LED light, preferably use another smartphone's LED Flashlight.

3. Just bring the light close to the proximity sensor (1-2mm away) and hold it for 4-5 seconds, then turn on the display by pressing the power button then turn it off. Repeat this 2-3 times.

You will notice that the double tap to wake and raise to wake feature starts working again.

jayantak likes this.
  15. F_Sandesh_Shetty_FZHC
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2019

F_Sandesh_Shetty_FZHC , Oct 27, 2019 :
    Thanks for this, but isn't the ambient display and Double tap to wake suppose to work even in the dark ? this is a very strange issue.

16. mayank1988
    Froyo Oct 27, 2019

There you go..see guys ..this trick worked for one more person who used it. So till the time Oneplus doesn't fix it, use this trick as a savior [e]1f609[/e][e]1f44d[/e]
    1572184765585.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019

17. mayank1988
    Froyo Oct 27, 2019

Well to be honest I'm no technical expert but what i could understand from this issue is...for instance when you are on a call and hold your phone close to your ear, the proximity sensor turns off the display and when you move it away from the ear the screen lights up.

The work of the proximity sensor is to turn on the display when it detects sufficient light and turn off the display when it detects something really close enough to block the light into the sensor.

The issue with oneplus 7 series is that the proximity sensor is placed under the display. So i think that at times due to the screen turned off the sensor assumes that there is no passage of light and its blocked by some object in close proximity, so it does not turn on the display on "raise to wake" or "double tap to wake".

18. R1571233657380
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2019

R1571233657380 , Oct 27, 2019 :
    same problem too, I tried factory reset, clearing cache, and disabling and enabling all options, I'm hoping this is not a hardware issue

On another note, what are you guys getting for SOT?

19. jayantak , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Oct 27, 2019 :
    Exactly that helped.
    Had holded an LED torch in front of the sensor as explained above.
    Now it works exactly fine.
    Thanks a lot bro. Really appreciate your effort.

mayank1988 likes this.
  20. mayank1988
    Froyo Oct 27, 2019

Glad to know it worked for you!

jayantak likes this.