Display OnePlus 7T display tint issue - uneven OLED (not uniform)

?

7T users : do you notice display tint problems on your device?

1. Yes

68.2%
  2. No

22.2%
  3. Kinda

9.6%
  1. Cherarules
    Eclair Nov 10, 2019

Nimish Naik likes this.
  2. O1572782639249
    Cupcake Nov 10, 2019

O1572782639249 , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 10, 2019 :
    How do I get these info on my phone? Thank you!

3. Himel40
    Froyo Nov 10, 2019

4. O1572782639249
    Cupcake Nov 10, 2019

5. Pavitrakumar
    Froyo Nov 10, 2019

Pavitrakumar , Nov 10, 2019 :
    I doubt this because the tint can't be reduced using just software without compromise. If it was something like a forced-dc dimming type thing, then you are essentially sacrificing color accuracy (dark greys appear as full black if DC dimming is turned on) - it's still a hardware issue due to poor QC. There are only so many things software can fix :)

Abhi Dahiya and N1570458305969 like this.
  6. Cherarules
    Eclair Nov 10, 2019

Cherarules , Nov 10, 2019 :
    yes I agree, they might done something with power that goes on display,OnePlus 7(MY OLD PHONE) and 7T devices are not good AMOLED PANELS

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  7. Dinerve , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Nov 10, 2019 :
    I dont understand this thread.

The 7T was never meant to be a flagship, none of the reviews praise the screen and mention uniformity issues under specific lightning and contrast conditions.

The screen is good, just not perfect and in 99.9% of the scenarios, I spot none of these issues.

For almost each AMOLED device out there there is a similar topic.

All pictures here accentuate how it looks as:

-The panel is pushed to its limit (dark grey on low brightness in the dark, what do you expect to see exactly?)
    -The cameras taking the low brightness pics in the dark are pushed to their limits causing aberations

There is nothing to see here except a bunch of people scrutinizing an OK all-rounder AMOLED panel as if It was a reference one.

There might be better offers out there at this price range (though not so sure). So go for it!

8. ramon288
    Eclair Nov 10, 2019

ramon288 , Nov 10, 2019 :
    The 7t was praised for its screen, seen all the 90hz hype? Also, these problems aren't NEARLY as common with other devices.

With the new dark mode displaying dark grey instead of black, you'll notice this problem literally every day at normal usage. Putting your phone display below 50% brightness in a dark room is not "pushing it to its limit", its literally normal usage.

Also, the screens tend to look worse in real life than on camera pictures, atleast in my case.

This is not an "ok all-rounder" at all. It is a 1080p display in 2019 which tends to have big color disaccuracies in more than 50% of the screen. It is a bad display at best.

9. Dinerve , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Nov 10, 2019 :
    Fair enough, I'm not seeing it on mine, whatever the brightness and refresh rate. Must be one of the super lucky ones.

Yes, at 15% brightness in the dark that reddit grey picture looks bad. Mind you it's the same on my trusty old 5 (yes! the one with the infamous jelly screen!)

If indeed the experience to the naked eye is half as bad as the pics I see I would send it back; just don't expect a fix.

And the settings you describe are not pushing the panel to its limit but many scenarios here do; Not to mention the silly conditions of the pics taken.

My 2c obviously, I firmly believe that if a customer is not satisfied, he should get support or return his goods.

But that's just the state of things. Bashing and complaining endlessly won't solve what can't be solved .

ramon288 likes this.
  10. ramon288
    Eclair Nov 10, 2019

Yeah that's fair enough. I just expect Oneplus to acknowledge the issues that are affecting so many customers.

I returned my 7t 3 times, and will return my 4th one next week and give up on Oneplus devices altogether. If I buy a device expecting it not to work it might aswell be a cheaper one.

Good that your device works fine though. It is a very good phone otherwise, except for maybe the ambient display bug that they ought to fix soon.

Raven1337, Abhi Dahiya and Dinerve like this.
  11. Dinerve , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Nov 10, 2019 :
    Yeah that ambient display bug is a joke....I mean they mess it up every single generation....

ramon288 likes this.
  12. Pavitrakumar
    Froyo Nov 10, 2019

Pavitrakumar , Nov 10, 2019 :
    Good for you. The panel on your device is _non-defective_.

Taking photos is the only way to compare screen problems. The grey backgrounds I and many others shared are a way to objectively determine how _bad_ your specific panel is.

You don't even need pitch-black darkness or a good quality low-light camera to prove that there is an issue here. I was very clearly able to show the issue in the service center under normal lighting conditions. Also, what type of _abberation_ are you even talking about here? I've never heard of any aberration issues in low-light conditions.

Nope. Just asking for a panel with no tint issues. Noone here commented about requiring 100% color accuracy and extremely good viewing angles. Just give me a device where I don't see a green color tint all over the screen when I turn on dark mode. No comments about color accuracy were made. This is a problem - an issue, not a discussion on a display performance metric (which comes AFTER the display functions well without any issues).

Sure. I would have taken this decision if the sales rep told me "hey, there'll be a green tint on your phone". Mind you, 40,000 INR is a premium price range (at least here in India). This phone costs ~600$ in US and with 100$ more, you can get a ******* iPhone 11. So, let's not even talk about the pricing of OnePlus phones.

Once again, "silly camera" scenarios you describe in no way overexaggerate the problem. If you see the varying level of tint in real-life, you would understand.

The complains can be grouped into 2 groups IMHO:
    -people who have the phone with tint, don't care enough about returning or replacement but still complain
    -people who have the phone with tint and are looking for replacement/refund

The former can't be dealt with. But the latter group though, the issue is not with the complains, but with oneplus's treatment of customers in the service centers. If you read back atleast 2-3 pages, you would understand that customers have simply been told this is "normal" have been sent away. Their requests for refund or replacement have been outright denied because apparently the "higher ups" decided this is not an issue. This is what people have been complaining about.

13. N1570458305969
    Cupcake Nov 10, 2019

N1570458305969 , Nov 10, 2019 :
    Good for you.. being one of those lucky ones.

But don't act like you are one of those OnePlus customer care guys who are not accepting it is a issue. The is so bad, i started using the phone with higher brightness at night.

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  14. FullMetal98
    Eclair Nov 10, 2019

FullMetal98 , via OnePlus 3T , Nov 10, 2019 :
    To make it clear once again. We are not pushing our phones into a specific situation to check if that issue is present or not. We were using it as all of us used our previous OnePlus devices. I was using the exact configuration throughout all the applications as my OP3T, which was also an AMOLED.

You can say that OnePlus set a bar too high for itself in all the categories. But ignoring the issue is not a way to deal with it. They have to address the cause and make a decision how to treat the customers.

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  15. S.Himanshu
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2019

S.Himanshu , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 10, 2019 :
    Exactly !
    The green tint is not something which is ' normal '. It just spoils the experience. It bugs me everytime when I see that tint.
    The green tint on my screen is prominent when the brightness is around 15 to 20 % . Otherwise, it's just slightly visible especially on top end of the notification bar ( which bugs me everytime I pull my notification bar in low lighting conditions)
    Also, I'm not sure whether the replacement unit would be without the tint or will have a worse tint. ( and I seriously don't want to take that risk )

I am forced to keep the refresh rate at 60Hz because it almost solves my problem as the display is a lot means a lot better at 60 Hz. The tint is there but very slightly noticeable and it doesn't matter because you can expect a slight discolouration on Amoled panes.

OnePlus needs to come up with a solution rather than giving such vague and informal replies.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019

16. G_Shashank_K_R_UfgY , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 10, 2019 :

Dinerve

Yeah that ambient display bug is a joke....I mean they mess it up every single generation....​

You're lucky man, you got a defect free panel. My 3T didn't have any such issues with the panel.

Unfortunately OnePlus hasn't acknowledged the issue and most replacements have the same problem. In India at least, getting refunds are difficult.

I bought the phone on the day of the launch and didn't notice this problem until the 10 day refund/exchange period was over unfortunately.

17. Linus14.
    Eclair Nov 10, 2019

Linus14. , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 10, 2019 :
    where do you bought the device in store or amazon?

18. ramon288
    Eclair Nov 10, 2019

Dutch webshop called Belsimpel.

19. kirahvi27
    Froyo Nov 11, 2019

kirahvi27 , Nov 11, 2019 :
    Back of the box that the phone came in.

O1572782639249 likes this.
  20. Schrotty40
    Honeycomb Nov 11, 2019

Schrotty40 , Nov 11, 2019 :
    My 7T have also this problem on the bottom. I will switch to the 7T Pro and i hope this have a better Display.