Display OnePlus 7T display tint issue - uneven OLED (not uniform)

?

7T users : do you notice display tint problems on your device?

1. Yes

68.2%
  2. No

22.2%
  3. Kinda

9.6%
  1. Pavitrakumar
    Froyo Nov 11, 2019

Pavitrakumar , Nov 11, 2019 :
    Yea, that's what I thought. But the phone is too big for me and the curves are ugly and absolutely unnecessary (also heard about some dead pixel issue from an engineer, but that's just 1 data point and I've seen almost no complaints about pro version screens). My initial decision was to upgrade to 7TPro, but then that's ~+15K (~$200) difference from OP7T for that price, there are a quite a few "real" (and good) flaghips out there. Just my $0.02.

2. Kartig
    Cupcake Nov 12, 2019

Kartig , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Hi guys - is the tint disturbing in normal day time usage? (I use light theme only and no dark modes)... My usage is very minimal in low light conditions....
    I would like to know if viewing photos and videos during day time have any color distortion or tint issue?

3. Pavitrakumar
    Froyo Nov 12, 2019

Pavitrakumar , Nov 12, 2019 :
    If you only use the light theme and never dark, then you probably won't notice it. But if any app/photo/game you use has a grey background, then you will notice it. To determine how severe your tint is, go back a few pages, I would have posted 2 or 3 images to test with.

4. M Power
    Donut Nov 12, 2019

M Power , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Hi Guys,

I got my first One Plus device, which is 7T on 3rd November 2019 here at One Plus Exclusive store Bengaluru, India.

I too discovered the display issue (Image attached) and I had to visit the exclusive service centre more than three times now for the same issue. Yesterday the service centre staff told that they would issue a replacement and had asked me to come the next day but today they asked me to leave the phone for further inspection and denied replacement.

For those users here, who mentioned about the display issue being more of a software glitch. I confirm that It's not a software issue as I was running on the latest Oxygen OS 10.05 and the issue still persists.

Though the service centre staff were courteous in listening to me but they did mention that they can't assure about the replacement product being free from defects.

I have now reported the same to Customer Support team as well and waiting for their response.

All in all, my very first experience with One Plus has been dismal.

I shall update here on their response soon.

"Never Settle" is "Now Settled".

Attached Files:

5. FullMetal98
    Eclair Nov 12, 2019

FullMetal98 , via OnePlus 3T , Nov 12, 2019 :
    I have purchased the phone on Amazon, but visited the Exclusive Service center in brigade road.
    They took my phone in for inspection few days ago and escalated the issue. I collected my replacement today. Just used my preferred wallpaper (which is in grey color) after I switched it on and the complete screen shows a different shade.
    I didn't even have to do the tests with specific images.
    The replacement units are no better.

Highly suggest you to get a refund if possible.

You will feel real bad when you get a device that has worse tint.

6. M Power
    Donut Nov 12, 2019

M Power , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

May I know within what timeline you got your replacement from dropping of your old device with service center.

I had asked them to initiate refund if they can't assure on the replaced product being free from defects. But the service center staff told that they can't.

I have informed the same to customer support team as well.

If things don't go as intended, I will have to consider initiating legal action.

7. FullMetal98
    Eclair Nov 12, 2019

FullMetal98 , via OnePlus 3T , Nov 12, 2019 :
    I have dropped my device on Saturday evening. I think no action was taken that day because they said they can only start the process as the technicians are not available. I kept calling them everyday to check for the updates. Today, when I talked to them on phone they said I can come and collect. Later they updated the same in the Servify portal.

Legal action seems only valid and logical as they are ignoring the issue. If they are saying it is not an issue, they should have it clearly conveyed to the customers when they are purchasing the device.

Raven1337 likes this.
  8. M Power
    Donut Nov 12, 2019

M Power , Nov 12, 2019 :
    Even I visited the store on Saturday but they turned down the issue and I had to visit them again on Monday where they accepted and I have dropped my phone at service center today.

Also after my discussion with customer support team, I've not got any case ID as such being sent to my mail. Can sense something going wrong.

https://www.oneplus.in/legal/terms-of-sales
    Looking at their terms of sales, I believe they might be intentionally delaying the process so as to have the issue being addressed after 10 day period from the date of sale.

I see there's no mention of refund policy in it. Is there any updated terms of sales?

After having a discussion with customer support team, I've not been sent any case ID as such to my mail. Can sense something fishy.

9. U1541298776665
    Cupcake Nov 12, 2019

U1541298776665 , Nov 12, 2019 :
    sorry I just saw this I will when I get home

10. U1541298776665
    Cupcake Nov 12, 2019

U1541298776665 , Nov 12, 2019 :
    1573582473110.jpg
    I honestly think it got worse. But I think it's a software issue with the fingerprint sensor because I notice the green tint after you get the fingerprint sensor popup to unlock the phone and it changes the brightness.

11. kKoI1233
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2019

kKoI1233 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Actually i noticed that the tint indeed isn't a constant on mine either, the shape of the tint as well as the severity changes with the context and pictures being displayed

very weird indeed

U1541298776665 likes this.
  12. Cherarules
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

Cherarules , Nov 13, 2019 :
    is night mode ON,while taken this pic!?

13. Pavitrakumar
    Froyo Nov 13, 2019

Pavitrakumar , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Ehh.. that does not sound very good.. one of the promises was that the tint would not increase/get worse. This is kinda bad... and people who bought their phone a while back are now stuck with their phones (since return window closed or they simply haven't noticed it yet).

I probably won't be monitoring this thread anymore nor will I be updating my manufacture/batch experiment (result were that, you are essentially playing OLED screen lottery with your money) post since I do not have my 7t anymore and I've opted for a refund (under processing).

14. U1541298776665
    Cupcake Nov 13, 2019

15. Cherarules
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

Cherarules , Nov 13, 2019 :
    good for u[e]1f44d[/e]

16. M Power
    Donut Nov 13, 2019

M Power , Nov 13, 2019 :
    After reporting the display issue and having dropped the device at service center yesterday; I got a call from service engineer wherein he told that It's not an issue and it's a feature of the every 7T phone. And the company would come up with an official announcement regarding the same.

I'm in denial to his claim and I have asked him for refund but he's refusing.

@Pavitrakumar Did you get the phone from One Plus Retail Store or through online? If it's from One Plus Store, Let me know If there's any process for opting for refund.

Thank You.

17. kKoI1233
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2019

kKoI1233 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Given the nature of the tint on my device I'm starting to believe it's a feature, a broken feature but a feature

for example i use YT vanced, to allow for background playing
    During picture-in-picture mode, the tint it different from regular player or even full screen player

In my browser scrolling or visiting 2 pages or even switching tabs or apps seems to give all different tint

^point being that if the area of light or dark content is in the same place as the tint depending on the size of the light or dark area it looks very different from other sizes that would encompass the exact same area + more

Some of these times it's actually beneficial to me, but the feature does look broken most of the time

M Power likes this.
  18. l3art
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2019

l3art , Nov 13, 2019 :
    This afternoon I received an apology email from Oneplus (The Netherlands). They told me they were misinformed about the issue and that's why they claimed it was a software issue. Also they gave me a 30 euro voucher as a compensation for using the student discount which can't be used anymore (only once a year).

Quite happy that they finally told me I was right about the green screen tint being a hardware issue and they compensated me so when I buy the 7T again I don't suddenly have to pay extra money.

However, I think I'll wait with ordering to see if the issue gets resolved in the near future.

BLADECUT18 likes this.
  19. Pavitrakumar
    Froyo Nov 13, 2019

Pavitrakumar , Nov 13, 2019 :
    They are just making up BS excuses. It's the same thing over and over for everyone who visits the service center. It's an issue - end of story. I got it from the retail store and had to fight a lot to get them to process a refund. I don't need need to go through all this stupid crap - the phone has a hardware issue that CANNOT be rectified, I returned the phone within (literally) 5 days of purchase, yet I still have to make 10 phone calls to the service center and be harsh with them and wait almost a full week to get my refund. Pathetic.

So, there is no process. Just give them the phone and ask for a refund. If they say it's not an issue, prove that it is an issue.
    -This does not happen in 100% of the devices (proof: this forum)
    -This is not a "feature" (I'm surprised the staff are stupid enough to tell you this) - if so, why is this feature not present in EVERY phone? and why is "feature" present in varying degrees and in varying places of the screen? *facepalm*
    -This is not something that happens with all OELD screens - check samsung, check their own company's pro models.

If this is not enough proof, then I don't know what is. Anyways, these are my arguments (and what I used). Good luck with the refund.

Go back few pages in this thread, I attached several grey photos to test with. Stop fooling yourself, it's not a "feature".

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  20. Linus14.
    Eclair Nov 13, 2019

Linus14. , via OnePlus 3 , Nov 13, 2019 :
    i have submitted my old device to OnePlus store Chennai and got a new replacement from them it seems the replacement phone has same issue in it with all over the screen. i have submitted both device yesterday to there showroom they told that they will update me today, but today afternoon they called up and told that, we will cal you tomorrow. i fed up with the process from OnePlus. hoping they will give a call back tomorrow.