OnePlus 7T is a better device overall than OnePlus 8 series

1. Edward_
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 16, 2020

Edward_ , Apr 16, 2020 :
    As far as I can tell, the only reasons to move to the OnePlus 8 Pro would be
    • Water resistance
    • Wireless charging
    • Better camera
    Reasons NOT to buy the 8 Pro would be, for starters...
    • Price
      • $1000 for a OnePlus device is completely contrary to the company's 'never settle' ethos
      • $500 still gets you the awesome 7T
    • Curved screen
      • awful glare and distortion along the edges
      • constant false touches
      • fragility
    • Weight - OP8 Pro is a brick at 200g
    • 120hz screen is not noticeable in most apps
    • 5G is a costly addition that is of no use to a regular user
    • Snapdragon 865
      • expensive chip
      • no real performance bounce over 855+
      • battery hungry
    • The regular OP8 is still $700 and has no improvement on the 7T, and in fact the camera set up is worse. Who takes macro photos with a phone?
    I really think OnePlus have made a mis-step here. I have had four OnePlus devices and the 7T will be my last unless they scrap the curved display.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020

2. malidan
    Nougat Apr 16, 2020

malidan , Apr 16, 2020 :
    I have never had a false touch, but then again I have only used curved screens on Samsung and Huawei devices.

As per usual now the device is dead reviewers have been calling the palm rejection on the 7's useless, its amazing it took them a year to say that.
    OPPO, Vivo and OP are all using edge now, so maybe they can sort it between them as the edge is here to stay at the top end.

3. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Apr 16, 2020

YRJ , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Samsung has reasonable curves. It complements the bezel-less look and still is fairly easy to use.
    However, the curves on the 8 Series are aggressive, almost like a waterfall display

4. Moin2200
    KitKat Apr 16, 2020

Moin2200 , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Personally I thought it was a great upgrade from the 7T due to 1 important aspect. The screen.

The 7T had a decently good screen for the price but for some reason there was a weird huge color saturation between the Blacks and grey and ended up creating this weird effect where half the screen can show grey just fine whole the other half showed grey mixed with green.

And with the 8 I no longer have this issue and was fully worth upgrading for me so I could get rid of this annoyance.

bkeaver, harsh1682, umartariq and 2 others like this.
  5. malidan
    Nougat Apr 16, 2020

malidan , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Ah the S7E styled edge you mean. ;)

YRJ likes this.
  6. Edward_

Edward_ , Apr 16, 2020 :
    I haven't noticed any color issues at all, but I've only had it a few weeks

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  7. Goldbondx
    Eclair Apr 16, 2020

Goldbondx , Apr 16, 2020 :
    You may have convinced me to forget the 8 I got shafted on yesterday and burn my voucher on the 7T...Thanks!

harsh1682 and Edward_ like this.
  8. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Apr 16, 2020

YRJ , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Hahah! Yep. Very similar :sweatsmile:

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  9. Moin2200
    KitKat Apr 16, 2020

Many people didn't notice because it mostly happens in the lower end of the brightness scale.
    And most users were using more than 50% which made it go away.

But looked like this for me and was driving me nuts.
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-7t-uneven-display-colors.1120618/

I always had my brightness way down to protect my eyes more and also because I've gotten way to used to it.

PureGenius likes this.
  10. domestoboto
    Honeycomb Apr 16, 2020

domestoboto , Apr 16, 2020 :
    As a current 7T owner, some of what you said is either misinformed or just subjective, TBH.

Blame/Thank Qualcomm for that. They NEVER offered the SD865 without the expensive 5G connectivity bits. And for some perspective (all prices from GSMArena website):

- OP, 899USD (8 Pro)
    - Xiaomi, 950USD (Mi 10 Pro 5G)
    - Oppo, 1240USD (Find X2 Pro 5G)
    - Samsung, 930/1400USD (S20+5G / Ultra 5G)
    - Apple, 1099USD (11 Pro Max)

It's actually surprising that the OP phone is CHEAPER than the flagship Oppo and Xiaomi! And I get that you can buy a Realme, Vivo, Honor, or Redmi for about 30% less than OP8 Pro, but those have bad software and/or bad software support; Honor and Huawei don't even have Google Play Anything at all!

Also, "Never Settle" needed to evolve with the times (and ever worsening prices of phone components). OP still has a leg-up on basically everyone in the Android world in terms of software fluidity, consistency, and long-term performance; there are still OP5's and 6's that can still keep up with the Z Flips. Nubias, and iPhone 11 Pro's of the world in terms of day-to-day performance! OP has never strayed from that idea of "Never Settle". They can't just keep cranking out $5-600 devices with 2020 true flagship components without incurring bad losses anymore.

OP8 Pro has a 4510 mAh battery that also has to accommodate the new wireless charging and reverse wireless charging tech.

Higher refresh rates are simply better, period. Why do you think eSports events like the Overwatch League use 240hz displays instead of 60hz displays like most mobile devices? And the onus is now on developers to fully use those high refresh rates in their apps and games; it's not OP's problem anymore that developers won't make their apps and game run on all 120hz!

5G really is no use to regular users because keep burning down the towers that were giving us super-fast speeds in the first place!

If you're really concerned about the durability of the curved screen, just use a case like everyone else does! You won't be able to tell the difference!

TL;DR, the OP8-series is better than the 7T because it has more usable features, REAL IP rating, greater extent of futureproofing, and an actually competitive camera now. UGH...

JrWriter87 and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  11. malidan
    Nougat Apr 16, 2020

malidan , Apr 16, 2020 :
    How did you get a OP8 in less than a day?🤔

12. Edward_

Edward_ , Apr 16, 2020 :
    I'm more upset about the distortion on curved screens than the false touches and fragility.

I never use a case in the same way I never wear a condom. The designer spent many hours shaping the device to make it smooth and beautiful!

In blind tests no one can tell the difference between refresh rates.

There is absolutely NO reason to spend $1000 on a phone when the 7T can be bought for half that.

MarkusRanz likes this.
  13. Moin2200
    KitKat Apr 16, 2020

Bought a pop up package was shipped yesterday and received it today.

DHL are always reliable. :cool:

malidan likes this.
  14. malidan
    Nougat Apr 16, 2020

malidan , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Dunno what part of the world you are from but those prices are looking a little inflated to what was on offer over the last 7 days.
    Seen as the MI 10 is hardly official anywhere out side the east I will tackle that one first.
    £543 was the MI 10 pro ( warranty )
    £372 K20 Pro
    £579 the S20 warranty
    £808 Find X2 Pro
    £800 P40 Pro warranty
    £869 the S20+( 865 warranty )
    £595 the Vivo Nex 3S ( warranty )
    Ultra
    The OP8 Pro is expensive no matter which way you try to slice it, £899/ $999 to match up on ram with the S20+

MarkusRanz and Edward_ like this.

Edward_ likes this.
  16. alansh
    Eclair Apr 16, 2020

alansh , Apr 16, 2020 :
    I also have a OnePlus 8 (not the pro) and got it as a pop up box today. The screen is gently curver right at the edge. I cannot find fault with it. It seems to work for me.

I was considering a 7T, but I have a 5G contract and this future proofs it for me. Also, with the pop up box, I got the Z headphones and 2 extra backs (black and cyan) which are around £100 - which is more than the difference in price for a 7T in the UK.

I've tried the camera and so far, I think it's great.

Alan

17. Baerserk
    Eclair Apr 16, 2020

Baerserk , Apr 16, 2020 :
    I'm currently on my S8 and the curved display of the OP8Pro is my biggest fear. I had no problems with them until I removed the bumper case from the S8 last year, because fcuk it, will get a new phone anyway and want to feel the real deal for the last time. You know it's like you have a girlfriend for a long time and trust her and want to have fun without protection. Sooo anyway, this is when I drove nuts. I couldn't write any message or use an app without accidentally press something with my palm or my thumb wouldn't be recognized because the phone thought I was pressing something. I truly hope that the opo bumper case will be high enough to add a little distance, or the OP8 will be returned immediately.

Edward_ likes this.
  18. Edward_

Edward_ , Apr 16, 2020 :
    You can change the glass on the back?

19. malidan
    Nougat Apr 16, 2020

malidan , Apr 16, 2020 :
    So you are blaming user error for false touches?
    I fail to understand why when phones are getting bigger, people still try to use a 2 handed device with one hand and then blame the device for their errors in usage.
    I get false touches sometimes on my flat screened ROG 2 when I play first person shooters, but I know it's the way I handled the phone.

I just rammed the ROG 2 into the fat of my palm, like they do on YouTube, and then stretched across the screen and tried to reach P ( IyoiiUqqqqi1q1@@@81811@111111 )
    These things are 2 handers problem solved.

20. malidan
    Nougat Apr 16, 2020

malidan , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Have you got the Bixby Copying
    OnePlus Car Voice Assistant?
    [​IMG]
    And there was people saying Bixby was crap for OP to go steal a feature.😂😂😂