OnePlus 7T Pro Adaptive Brightness Issue

1. E1575649114077
    Cupcake Dec 15, 2019

2. seancollins88
    Cupcake Dec 16, 2019

seancollins88 , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 16, 2019 :
    I have the same issue on my OnePlus 7T. It's more prominent in the night where the brightness goes down to the minimum and needs to be adjusted manually. I haven't yet faced the issue under direct sunlight.

The latest update log doesn't mention any corrections for this issue.

3. its_parth26
    Eclair Dec 17, 2019

rajarshi10 likes this.
  4. Vuoshino
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2019

Vuoshino , Dec 28, 2019 :
    Oneplus dont care about this bugs but in the daily use these things are more important than anything else... i think oneplus has to reply to the community before to start the selling of the new phones.

5. G_OnePlus6T
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2020

6. G_Adam_Walter_rVsp
    Cupcake Jan 25, 2020

G_Adam_Walter_rVsp , Jan 25, 2020 :
    I am also struggling. The screen is CONSTANTLY setting itself too dim. This tends to happen when the phone exits game mode.
    Please fix this OnePlus!

rajarshi10 likes this.
  7. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 25, 2020 :
    In fairness, I have never had a phone where the automatic screen brightness by any name worked right. LG came closest, but no cigar. That's another thing that gets disabled early on in the setup for me.

Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that it works even worse on Q than it did on previous releases, however. I haven't had a single person tell me they were happy with the implementation on 10, including people who thought it worked okay on 8 and 9. So maybe it's a 10 thing rather than an OP thing.

Richard

Sheppards likes this.
  8. mohawahba
    Gingerbread Feb 12, 2020

mohawahba , Feb 12, 2020 :
    I am having the same issue. Does oneplus acknowledge it? you know what, oneplus never delivered a complete package bug-free phone.

rajarshi10 likes this.
  9. Sheppards
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 12, 2020

Sheppards , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 12, 2020 :
    Agreed.

Never had a phone that had it nailed. though I think for a lot of people have DC dimming enabled, which screws up low light brightness.

I think the adaptive brightness works best with dc dimming disabled.

10. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 12, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 12, 2020 :
    I haven't tried the combination of Adaptive Brightness + DC Dimming on this phone as I disabled Adaptive Brightness pretty early on (with the default setting of DC Dimming disabled). As has been the case with every other Android I've owned, it didn't work well. It's always, always, ALWAYS too dark. So I turned it off.

In fairness to the feature, I've been told that over time, Adaptive Brightness will learn the user's preference and adjust the baseline brightness accordingly. I've never given it enough time to learn. It's just not that important to me.

About 45 percent brightness works for me indoors or while using the phone for navigation at night or on cloudy days, and about 85 percent works when using the phone for navigation on sunny days. It's pretty rare that I need anything other than those two settings. On those rare occasions when I do, I just move the slider. It's not exactly a traumatic experience.

That being said, I always thought it would make sense to include a Baseline setting in Adaptive Brightness. Let the user decide where they like the brightness, and then calibrate the adjustments according to that baseline. If I didn't consider it so trivial, I might even code something to do that. But really, it's just not worth the bother to me.

Richard

Sheppards likes this.
  11. Sheppards

Sheppards , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 12, 2020 :
    Well, to be honest I only have issues when it's kind of dark. the screen just gets too dark usually

GeekOnTheHill and rajarshi10 like this.
  12. Rana_S
    Froyo Feb 12, 2020

Rana_S , Feb 12, 2020 :
    Same for my 7T. It's practically garbage. So I turned it off, and managed to save some battery in the process.

mohawahba and rajarshi10 like this.
  13. rajarshi10

rajarshi10 , Feb 12, 2020 :
    From what I've researched on the internet, this issue can't be fixed by OnePlus as the sensors are placed in such a manner to achieve the notchless design practically impossible to resolve it with a software update. This bug is here to stay and we have to live with it.

This is the exact reason why many internal developers haven't acknowledged this yet.

mohawahba likes this.
  14. mohawahba
    Gingerbread Feb 12, 2020

mohawahba , Feb 12, 2020 :
    today I noticed I enabled it long ago and forgot it's enabled. will test and report back if it worked fine.

rajarshi10 likes this.
  15. Z1573332264188
    Cupcake Feb 12, 2020

16. Q1570503335639
    Cupcake Feb 18, 2020

Q1570503335639 , Feb 18, 2020 :
    Clearly will never work on the low end anymore, I.e, too dim in low light, especially if using dark themes.
    There is no such thing as 'training', I tried for 3 months on my 7t to no effect.
    Easily solved if Android or OnePlus would create a setting for the min brightness allowed, never go below even in pitch black env.

17. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 19, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 19, 2020 :
    Yeah, that's been my experience on literally every Android phone I've owned -- and I've owned quite a few. Google needs to add a user-selectable "baseline" setting. It's supposed to learn that on its own, but it doesn't.

On the bright side (see what I did there?), manually setting the screen brightness isn't exactly a hardship.

Richard

Sheppards likes this.

19. mtadmor
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2020

rakeshvats969696 likes this.
  20. Gafftaper
    Eclair Feb 27, 2020

Gafftaper , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Just got my 7T and I am shocked at how bad the adaptive brightness is. I had a 5T and it worked fine. This is so frustrating! Come on Oneplus this is cleary a problem. Address it. I don't want to SETTLE for this.