OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren fingerprint reader not good via OnePlus Community App

1. tile00 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 9, 2019 :
    I have a new McLaren 5G for T-Mobile and the fingerprint sensor is very bad. like it won't unlock right away. I have to try several times before it takes. I replaced a OnePlus 7 Pro with this with an excellent fingerprint reader so it can be done as this phone is pretty much a carbon copy of the 7 Pro.

3. arcanexvi
    Gingerbread Dec 9, 2019

arcanexvi , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 9, 2019 :
    could be an issue with reading through a screen protector or maybe bad initial setup. I know my left thumb has issues because of eczema but my right thumb works fine. I also loaded my index finger for when it's resting on the table but I rushed it so it doesn't always register. I'm sure if I deleted it and redid it that it would probably be fine.

5. tile00 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 9, 2019 :
    it's not the screen protector. I had a screen protector my OnePlus 7 Pro that was replaced and the reader worked fine. I have a glass screen protector currently on the McLaren but this was an issue before I put the screen protector on as well. I have tried several fingers and redid the finger print many times. Still not working.

6. backindsea
    Cupcake Dec 16, 2019

backindsea , Dec 16, 2019 :
    I agree with tile00. I have two 7T Pro McLaren from T-Mobile. Both phones are experiencing the same problem with and without the screen protector. I tried to re-register the fingerprints three times already, still doesn't work.

7. HeeroML
    Gingerbread Dec 16, 2019

HeeroML , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 16, 2019 :
    ok that's bad. did you try contacting OnePlus? it's looking like a hw issue.

8. F1576693254286
    Cupcake Dec 18, 2019

F1576693254286 , Dec 18, 2019 :
    I just bought the mclaren. The guy in the tmobile store put a PUREGEAR high definition tempered glass screen protector on the device. Fingerprint sensor would not work.

I removed the screen protector.

The fingerprint sensor works perfectly.

W1557758473080 likes this.
  9. O3T@28v4
    Cupcake Dec 19, 2019

O3T@28v4 , Dec 19, 2019 :
    UPDATE 2-12.20.19: I been testing slowly setting my fingerprint on the optical reader (with the PUREGEAR screen protector on) and it's seems to be reading a little more reliably not all the time but more than before...slowly place your finger above the reader and then bring it on top of the glass screen protector slow and it seems to work.

UPDATE 1: I just got back from T-Mobile and it seems that the PUREGEAR screen protector does inhibit the the optical fingerprint sensor from reading properly. Once that's removed the finger print sensor works without issue. I wonder if it's the adhesive that the light has to shine through on the underside of the screen protector that's causing issues. It doesn't matter how clean the top of the screen protector is, it just doesn't register and read the finger print properly when on.

Original:
    I'm having the same problem with the finger print sensor not reading properly. I've deleted and re-registered my fingerprints multiple times. I've checked for systems updates and I've got the latest Nov 1st update. I also purchased the PUREGEAR screen protector, but I don't think this is the problem. May contribute but not the main culprit because when you enter the Security Lock screen and click on the PIN or Finger print and then lock the screen it seems to read the registered fingers fine at least for one try but when you lock it again and try to unlock it doesn't read it the second or multiple times afterwards.

I'm on my way back to T-Mobile to figure this out.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019

10. C1555467540398
    Cupcake Dec 25, 2019

C1555467540398 , Dec 25, 2019 :
    So I also have the 7t pro McLaren. And I noticed the only time the finger print scanner doesn't work right is when unlocking the phone. It works every single time when using it to sign into apps. This has to be a software issue with the lock screen. It works for my bank app. My finance app. And my insurance app. All three work to unlock the apps themselves. But not the actual phone. And I've got the puregear screen protector on.

11. E1577556335941
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2019

E1577556335941 , Dec 28, 2019 :
    I also am having the same issue with the McLaren edition. It does seem to be worse with the lock screen and works 98% of the time with apps. I definitely think is a software issue.

javi_06 likes this.
  12. midgardsormr10
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2019

13. W1557758473080
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2020

W1557758473080 , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Same for me only issue I have is when trying to unlock my phone other that my bank app works etc etc anything outside of the lick screen works fine :/ I'm sure with the next update it will be fixed! hopefully!

14. Ultimodrew
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2020

Ultimodrew , Jan 3, 2020 :
    I had a similar issue with my Oneplus 6T when I first got it. I noticed that the reader has a harder time in low light situations, however it will work better if you switch the fingerprint animation to a brighter one. I use the Stripe animation and it has given me no major issues. Give that a try and see if it works better for you. Also if you are going to use a screen protector, you will need to train your finger print after the protector is applied.

15. RandoCal2020
    Cupcake Jan 5, 2020

RandoCal2020 , Jan 5, 2020 :
    I've had a 7T Pro McLaren 5G for about a month and the fingerprint reader is getting progressively slower. No screen protector used, doesn't matter which animation or light level. I have a Oneplus7T pro also and the fingerprint is working fine so I have no idea what's going on.

16. iPandaz
    Cupcake Jan 5, 2020

iPandaz , Jan 5, 2020 :
    https://www.amazon.com/Alinsea-Protector-Fingerprint-Compatible-Replacement/dp/B07X8FFWK2

Guys!!!! My fingerprint scanner work with that screen protector above!! Alinsea for the OnePlus 7 Pro. Fits my Tmobile 5G McLaren!!!! It's sooo nice being able to use my fingerprint sensor now. The Puregear and other screen protectors don't work with the fingerprint sensor because the adhesive is only in the side. This Alinsea glass screen protector works by what's called a LOCA glue that uses UV light to harden. Therefore your fingerprint sensor doesn't think you have any screen protectors on the screen because the glass is glued to it. Pretty awesome. And my screen is VERY CLEAR!! I can now enjoy the full extent of my OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren edition by using the in display fingerprint sensor!! This phone is amazing and no loss of clarity on this screen protector.

Only con is the install. A normal glass screen usually takes a minute. This will take you about 10 minutes but WELL WORTH IT!!!

17. RCOS
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2020

RCOS , Jan 9, 2020 :

Ok, I was in the same boat as most of the posters here, I had a 7 Pro Puregear Glass screen protector on it and my fingerprints were not reading 95% of the time. I found out that there is a Puregear 7t Pro McLaren version that T-Mobiel sells that is a slightly thinner glass, that works 100% of the time for me. One Plus 7 Pro glass screen protectors might not work, as I found out. I do know that this one works.

18. E1577556335941
    Cupcake Jan 18, 2020

E1577556335941 , Jan 18, 2020 :
    I went with your recommendation to installed the Alinsea screen protector, finally the finger reader is working perfect, thanks! I was contemplating changing the phone but not enymore. I do recommend taking your time with installation and put tape over speaker grill to protect from glue. Mine came out flawless.

19. S1574113207497
    Cupcake Jan 19, 2020

S1574113207497 , Jan 19, 2020 :
    I had a poetic case with a built in screen guard which interfered with the reader. I could only get my index finger to read and only about 70% of the time. I tore it off and got a TPU screen protector. no issues since.