Other OnePlus 7T Pro (McLaren) Tempered Glass + Fingerprint sensor?

1. KeyperOS
    Gingerbread Dec 10, 2019

KeyperOS , Dec 10, 2019 :
    Hi,

I am waiting to receive a OnePlus 7T Pro (McLaren) and I am getting conflicting information about whether it comes with a screen protector pre-installed as well as whether tempered glasses work correctly as far as fit and fingerprint sensor function go (and if so, which to get / avoid).

Could someone that already has the phone please shed some light on this?

To be clear, I am definitely wanting the have the extra peace of mind a tempered glass offers but not at the expense of the fingerprint sensor.

If it makes a difference I am not in the US and am not getting the T-Mobile version of the phone.

hamvaspeter and W1577295598910 like this.
  2. stetre76
    Froyo Dec 11, 2019

stetre76 , Dec 11, 2019 :
    I am using the McLaren Edition for close to two weeks now.

The phone comes with a pre-installed screen protector, which is no tempered glass, but some plastic foil.
    I'd say the pre-installed protector serves its purpose and is nice to heave when you just start setting up the device and play around with it the first couple of days.
    But it definitely doesn't offer the same protection as a tempered glass screen

I switched to a Whitestone Dome Glass pretty soon after, as I've had great experience with the Dome Glass on my previous Pixel 2 XL phone.

Even though it's quite pricy, for me it's worth every Euro - the installation is fairly easy and once applied you don't really see that there's a tempered glass on the screen

The fingerprint sensor on my phone is not affected in any way - on my 7T Pro McLaren it works as flawlessly as with the pre-installed plastic protector from OnePlus.

KeyperOS likes this.
  3. Abhilash_PM
    Froyo Dec 11, 2019

Abhilash_PM , Dec 11, 2019 :
    Hey guys. I have OP7T Pro McLaren Edition (India) and mine came with a screen protector pre-applied. Its NOT a tempered glass, but a plastic film. This protector is not intended for impact protection but basic scratch protection out of the box. The reason behind having this this film pre-applied is that generally people take time in purchasing their choice of tempered glass after purchasing the phone. Sometimes the tempered glass for newly released phones are not readily available. Till then, this film serves some level of protection from micro aberrations and scratches.

If you are planning on applying a tempered glass, please make sure you peel off this film before applying else the fingerprint scanner will not work as intended. The pre-applied protector sits so plush with the screen that it almost goes unnoticed and I've seen people trying to put a tempered glass over it. Eventually they end up having a malfunctioning fingerprint scanner.

Some key points to note:

1. If you are planning on tempered glass for OP7, OP7T, OP7 Pro, OP7T Pro, you have to choose a glass which has full-glass adhesive. Corner adhesive based glass wont work as it results in an air-gap between the glass and the screen resulting in fingerprint scanner failures
    2. There are UV Curing based Glass that comes with a UV glue. Though this sits pretty well on the phone and does not affect the fingerprint scanner in any way, there are some installation measures that you have to take. Please make sure you completely cover the top speaker grill, the volume rocker, the lock button, the profile slider button, the lower USB C port and lower speaker grill with scotch tape/duct tape. Sometimes covering stickers are provided in in the box but most of the times its not. The installation requires you to pour the glue in the center of the screen and slowly drop the glass over it. It almost always overflows and I've seen numerous cases where the glue gets inside the speaker grills, usb port or the buttons causing malfunctions.
    3. Always remove your fingerprint profile and re-configure your prints after installing a tempered glass. The refractions/micro distortions caused by the glass messes with optical fingerprint scanner in recognizing your already configured prints. Reconfiguring ensures that you don't have false rejections.

KeyperOS and masi0 like this.
  4. KeyperOS
    Gingerbread Dec 11, 2019

KeyperOS , Dec 11, 2019 :
    Yes, I have also seen the glasses with the UV-hardening adhesive but truth is, I would rather avoid all that hassle.

Is there a good glass that has a pre-applied adhesive?

With my current 3T I had a glass with a dot-matrix style adhesive and although the result wasn't as good, the application was much simpler...

5. RobbM
    Froyo Dec 11, 2019

RobbM , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Dec 11, 2019 :
    There is alternative glass screen protectors for the 7T pro out there, but none compare to the UV application ones. The curve of the screen prevents companies from creating full adhesive ones. From all my searching for them, you have 2 options.

1. Buy a screen protector with adhesive ONLY round the edges. Yes the application will be a lot easier, but this may affect the screen touch functionality/fingerprint sensor and air can (and probably will) get trapped between the screen and the protector.

2. Buy a UV adhesive screen protector. (I have one on my phone now which I found on Amazon for a quarter of the price of a Whitestone Dome.) Yes the application will be slightly harder, but if applied correctly, you wont even notice it's there.

There aren't many options out there, but I would heavily advise to go with a UV adhesive one.

KeyperOS likes this.
  6. KeyperOS
    Gingerbread Dec 11, 2019

KeyperOS , Dec 11, 2019 :
    Thank you very much @RobbM for being so very helpful and informative.

In that case, according to all of you guys' experience, which soft, TPU film-type screen protectors have been the best in terms of clarity, touch feel and fingerprint sensor?
    I have read many good things about the LK ones but I have found several versions and don't know what their differences are.

Similarly, which are supposed to be the best cost-effective UV-adhesive ones?

OBVIOUSLY, with everyone saying this X glass is as good as Whitestone I would expect them to be the best when price is not an issue but, 50 euro is a lot of money for a single tempered glass protector that I can still screw up the installation ...

RobbM likes this.
  7. RobbM , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Dec 11, 2019 :
    I can't advise on the film screen protectors as I haven't used any, but the link below is the UV adhesive one I used. It's saying currently unavailable but I'm sure it'll be back. 4+ stars with over 200 reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RVF2NBT/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_tBd0DbDJ7VAWY

KeyperOS likes this.
  8. stetre76
    Froyo Dec 12, 2019

stetre76 , Dec 12, 2019 :
    Since you seem to be in Europe (Euro), you might want to check with the OnePlus_Shop.nl they have alternative tempered glass protectors in their shop, both fully adhesive as well as an UV-alternative to the Whitestone Dome Glass.

Can't say anything about the quality of these alternatives, but they are worth looking into.

Also, just as @RobbM said - if you stick to the installation instructions, the UV curing is no really a problem.
    And yes 50,- Euro for a Whitestone ist expensive, but this will last the lifetime of the phone.

My experience with other phones and "ordinary" screen protectors is that you need to change them every once in a while...and 15,- Euro here and another 15,- EUR there for a replacement also sums up...

KeyperOS and RobbM like this.