OnePlus 7T Series: New look, same Never Settle attitude

1. Charles C.
    Staff Staff Member Sep 23, 2019

Charles C. , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Hi everyone! I'm Charles, new creative copywriter at OnePlus HQ. For my first post on the OnePlus community forums I'd like to talk about something you may have noticed: The new visual look for the OnePlus 7T Series. Without further ado, let's jump in!

OnePlus is always thinking about how to make things better. No matter what it is—our products, our way of doing something, our customer service—we want it to be the best it possibly can be. In the words of our CEO, Pete Lau: “No detail is too small to be perfected.”

Our image is no different. It’s through our image we convey the OnePlus brand and its sense of self to the world.

As you may have noticed on our social media channels (and with the recent confirmation of the new device packaging by Pete), we have introduced a new visual look for the 7T Series.

With the amplification of our visual look, we believe we can better communicate who we truly are: detail-driven, passionate, and community-focused.​

Who’s behind it?
    The creative force behind the redesign is OnePlus Creative Director, Mats Hakansson. In his illustrious design career, Mats has partnered with the likes of Nike, MAC Cosmetics, Calvin Klein, and W Hotels Worldwide—each time inspiring new approaches, technologies, and experiences.​

upload_2019-9-23_14-21-1.png
    Mats Hakansson, OnePlus Creative Director.

MH_CC_R09_E99_1.jpg
    Mats’ design work with Nike.

Originally from Sweden, Mats has been resident in New York since attending the prestigious Parsons School of Design in the city. Noted as one of the World’s foremost art and design schools, with an emphasis on passionate commitment, iterative experimentation, and creative collaboration—values reflected in Mats’ diverse body of design work, and values also firmly held by OnePlus.

So, what’s different?

• Updated color scheme
    The first thing the OnePlus community may have already noticed is the new use of color suggestive of a greater sense of self-assuredness in knowing who we are.

colourScheme.png

Our distinctive color palette—and the interplay between background and text colors—really stands out and elevates the brand by building recognition.​
    • New typeface
    With its smooth curves and refined spacing, the new font really attracts attention. It is extremely functional and readable with a contemporary feel. It’s also a gradual transition reflecting what came before but with an eye on the future.​

Font.png
    The new typeface: Neue Haas Grotesk.
    • A different way of showing the product
    We can’t say—or show—much for now, but expect a more human-centered approach that is different, yet still quintessentially OnePlus.

handtrio.png
    Early concept sketches

For all you design aficionados, there’s much more information to come later this week on the philosophy and motivations behind our visual refresh for the 7T Series (with insight from Mats himself), so stay tuned and in the meantime share your feelings on the new look!

Cheers,

2. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 23, 2019

3. suhantm
    Honeycomb Sep 23, 2019

suhantm , Sep 23, 2019 :
    I dig the new look! It's a little edgier than it has been in the past. Looking forward to reading about the rest of the design philosophy!

4. G_Noah_rYNP
    Eclair Sep 23, 2019

S1542884827542 likes this.
  5. __aa_vi__
    Gingerbread Sep 23, 2019

__aa_vi__ , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Only few days are left im the event lets see what we get and what will be those things which blow our mind [e]1f609[/e]

ALDRINBENNY likes this.
  6. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Sep 23, 2019

Its.Leandroo , Sep 23, 2019 :
    let's see what else is coming. On one hand I'm excited, on the other I'm not sure if I like the new visual design.

x.szmr, script, suhantm and 2 others like this.
  7. FlixbusLennart

FlixbusLennart , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Which will definitely be needed. Neither a big fan of the new graphics nor the blue on red color palette (the colors and the light/dark look superb tho) nor the 7T packaging. It looks like the type of stuff that we made in first semester when we all thought that colors had to hurt the eye in order to look edgy and catch attention.

That one thing that was perfect about OnePlus design language is now gone and it will take some time to get used to it...
    The colors themselves are beautiful, as well as the font. Let's see what happens when it all matures a bit.

iNtEnSePL, rohitanand, script and 6 others like this.
  8. akks
    Jelly Bean Sep 23, 2019

akks , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Waiting for the ugliest looking OnePlus device yet!
    #Oneplus7T

9. obakesan
    Jelly Bean Sep 23, 2019

Impersonal likes this.
  10. Andy lone
    Gingerbread Sep 23, 2019

Andy lone , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Excited can't wait for the launch

11. Jarrod Solomon
    Donut Sep 23, 2019

Jarrod Solomon , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Liking the overall redesign but one thing I will say is that as someone who has red/green colorblindness, yes I can see those colors lol, the first palate with the light charcoal background will cause me to get a migraine if looked at for an extended period of time. In my eyes the light charcoal is "looking" like real and add the red lettering it can start to mess with my eyes, can't focus on just one color when they are on top of each other. I know I'm in a vast minority and can always change the default palate for my phone, but I just wanted to bring it to the OnePlus teams attention.

12. anunayC
    Froyo Sep 23, 2019

anunayC , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Love then new *dark* theme black logo can't wait to see what else adds on to this new trend!

suhantm likes this.
  13. Salt505
    Jelly Bean Sep 23, 2019

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019

14. FlixbusLennart

FlixbusLennart , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Big WELCOME to the Community, Charles!
    I already love your vivid and exciting style. Hope to see a lot more from you in the future.

Charles C. and Salt505 like this.
  15. SeanPlus
    Honeycomb Sep 23, 2019

SeanPlus , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Welcome to the forum @Charles C.

I'm a big fan of the distinctive new style.

From what you say, and from looking at those sketches, I wonder if OnePlus is making a small, high-end phone. If so, I'm sold! Been asking for this since the OP2/OPX.

P. S. Does the T in 7T Series stand for "Tiny"...

suhantm likes this.
  16. Moin2200
    KitKat Sep 23, 2019

Moin2200 , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Personally I really missed the red look of the packaging.

But I need to see the bigger picture first before understanding where the design is going.

suhantm and Salt505 like this.
  17. zerog69
    Froyo Sep 23, 2019

Salt505 likes this.
  18. Edward
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 23, 2019

Edward , Sep 23, 2019 :
    Welcome to the team! Excited for the new design.

My only issue with the design in the past has been the curved edges with a full screen display...outside of that it's been the higher prices making it very difficult for some to buy it outright, and lack of availability on Verizon. The current offerings through Affirm are pretty much garbage.

suhantm likes this.
  19. hans.bdv
    Eclair Sep 23, 2019

20. JelleZon
    Lollipop Sep 23, 2019

JelleZon , Sep 23, 2019 :
    I really don't like this new "style" :(