OnePlus 7T Specs Explained: Snapdragon 855+ Processor

1. scotty137
    US Brand Ambassador Oct 2, 2019

scotty137 , Oct 2, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

Hey everyone! This is Jason the red-bearded US Brand Ambassador with you again to talk specs about the new OnePlus 7T!

In case you missed it, OnePlus revealed its newest phone, the OnePlus 7T on September 26th and man is it awesome! Just as you would expect from OnePlus, they have taken the very best specs on the market and put them into an incredible phone at a great price.

Over the next few weeks, my fellow BA’s and I will cover in detail all of the amazing new specs in the 7T, but I have the distinct honor of going first (I volunteered). For my post, I will be discussing the first major spec, the new Snapdragon 855+ processor.

If you remember from our Tech Talk a couple weeks back, we talked about how a processor essentially acts as the “brains” of every smartphone. Each processor actually house quite a few components from controller chips, to a CPU, a GPU and many times a modem as well as an AI coprocessor and image processors. That’s a lot of stuff! Since pretty much most of the crucial system components are housed in the processor, it’s technically referred to as a system on a chip, or SoC.

The Snapdragon 855+ is the slightly older brother to the Snapdragon 855, although I guess technically it’s the little brother since it is the newer of the two. Basically, there is not much different on the 855+ than there was from the 855. The 855 was already an incredibly fast, fluid, and quite capable processor but Qualcomm made a few minor tweaks to it to squeeze even more performance out of it.

I won’t really go into what’s the same about them because there are so similar and you’ve most likely already read all about the 855 since it launched in the 7 Pro earlier this year. The differences between the two processors lie in the speed at which they are clocked.

If you recall the (dare I say, quite excellent) librarian example from the Tech Talk, the processor would relate to librarians in a library. The speed of the processor would be something like how quickly the librarians could bring the books to your table. In the 855, the main core of the processor was clocked at 2.84GHz which was already the fastest available.

Quick side note, although a processor may have multiple cores (8 in this case), they are not all clocked at the same speed. The reasons for this are quite technical and if you’re interested in learning more, let me know in the comments and I’d be happy to dive in with you. In the Snapdragon 855 Soc, the four lower clocked cores came in a 1.8GHz, three of the higher clocked cores were at 2.42GHz, and the highest, or Prime core, was the 2.84GHz speed.

For the 855+, Qualcomm has upped the clock speed on the Prime core to 2.96GHz which offers about a 4% increase in single-threaded performance. In basic terms this means the processor has been slightly tuned for improved gaming performance as most games are optimized for single-threaded performance.

855+ = Slightly better gaming experience.

If you’re a power user who enjoys things like photo and video editing, rendering, streaming, etc., (things that require multi-threaded performance), this isn’t really a big deal for you.

The other big difference between the 855 and 855+ also relates to clock speed, but this time on the GPU. The components of the GPU are the same, the Adreno 640, but this time the frequency has been raised from 585MHz to 672MHz which Qualcomm says will give you a 15% increase in graphics performance. Keep in mind though that marketing speak of a “15% increase” doesn’t always directly translate to real life performance.

Another upside of the new clocking speeds is that there is a chance they may lead to better battery life in the 7T, but it’s a bit too early to tell for sure. This may seem counter intuitive, but the way processors work is that once the work they are doing is completed, they can stop working or go back to sleep. If the faster speed means a certain task can be completed faster, then the chip can stay asleep longer and save more power.

Aside from the clock speed of the Prime Core and the higher GPU frequency, quite literally everything else on the 855+ is the same as the 855, but that is by no means a bad thing. The Snapdragon 855 was already a very solid and powerful chip and Qualcomm just put a little more juice into the 855+.

For the vast majority of us, we won’t notice hardly any difference in day-to-day usage between the 7 Pro and the 7T. The incredibly hardcore gamers among us and those who ever use Android’s Desktop more or another emulator might notice a little better performance, but aside from that, it’s the same fantastic SoC.

The best part is, the 7T offers this chipset at an extremely affordable price. You will be hard pressed to find another device that offers the 855+, as well as all the other awesome features of the 7T offers, for less than six hundred bucks.

2. N1569989443056
    Cupcake Oct 4, 2019

Stickied Post
    N1569989443056 , Oct 4, 2019 :
    the phone is on 90Hz, I haven't practically tested the battery life by draining it to 1% however on heavy usage it will last for about 10-11 hours approximately and on normal usage it lasts upto 15 hours. I have an average screen time of 11 hours and I charge my phone approximately after every 12 hours the battery is usually around 20% then. Warp charge is great, it charges upto 80% in half an hour (I don't use my phone while it's on charge)

3. JelleZon , via OnePlus 6T Mirror Black , Oct 2, 2019 :
    well
    I think the faster / higher clock speed and more power will lead to worse battery life? can that also be the case?

because the sd855+ is not advertised as "more efficient" or " X% less power consumption" etc.

worried about that.

4. casais23
    Froyo Oct 3, 2019

Thendrack likes this.
  5. femiuex
    Honeycomb Oct 3, 2019

Thendrack and ElavarasuK like this.
  6. N1569989443056
    Cupcake Oct 3, 2019

N1569989443056 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    have been using it from 2 days, since it's 3800 mah the battery is not that great, it meets the expectations however the good thing is the warp charge takes care of the issue.
    charging is way too fast

7. akshay10dj
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2019

akshay10dj , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    yeah and seeing the power consumption in games is twice the mAh power consumed than 855 ,battery life is not gonna be great [e]1f603[/e]

8. BYG BYRD
    Honeycomb Oct 3, 2019

9. LOCKDOWN117
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 3, 2019

LOCKDOWN117 , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    its not power efficiency its just like performance mode on 855
    also the 90hz display will suck the battery im expecting around 6-7Hrs SOT on hard usage compared to 7-8Hrs as on my OP7

10. G1565097698909
    Eclair Oct 3, 2019

11. femiuex
    Honeycomb Oct 3, 2019

12. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Oct 3, 2019

Bouncer71 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Probably because they feel they're not the...

anymore... ;)

TibiTibi, AmritRajiva and xnutzii like this.
  13. femiuex
    Honeycomb Oct 3, 2019

femiuex , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    That's the most awesome answer I've ever heard.
    And it's been a while since I have heard Clawfinger. Thanks for that.

TibiTibi, Keshav69 and Bouncer71 like this.
  14. G1565097698909
    Eclair Oct 3, 2019

G1565097698909 , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    because they didnt paid hard earned money to be obsolete in two months. and didnt got it free sitting home on dads money like u

15. femiuex
    Honeycomb Oct 3, 2019

femiuex , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Your accusations are as baseless as an empty tin cup. Shows how much the community have changed since adding more people who are unable to comprehend a simple thing - technological advancements.
    You DON'T have to change your ******* phone everytime a new one comes out.
    I saved up for this phone that I am using now. Before that I used a different brand for 5 years.
    Don't accuse me of sitting on my arse and getting free phones as I have a family to feed and work day and night.
    Are you in this community? Disgrace.

16. femiuex
    Honeycomb Oct 3, 2019

E1566828962678 and Bouncer71 like this.
  17. deep0611
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2019

18. B1570095065383
    Cupcake Oct 3, 2019

B1570095065383 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    I am a first time 1+ user and the device I am using is 7T. switched multiply times between Android and iOS but haven't seen any device like 7T which is engineered so well and comparatively priced.

Was able to play call of duty and few other with no trouble. device doesn't heat up much. Battery charging is amazing and backup too (have my corporate mailbox configured). I was able to run the show for a day with fair usage.

I must say this company has come up really well against some strong industry players.

great engineering and products.

19. G1547594683700
    Cupcake Oct 3, 2019

G1547594683700 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    please checj the channel gary explains everything on youtube. the 7t vs the 11pro max, i mean, what did i just saw. I always flexed in having an one plus, but things went boomerang

20. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Oct 3, 2019

dsmonteiro , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Why do you feel that your technology becomes obsolete just because new technology is released? I would like to understand you point of view.

NoInspiration and W1566312527011 like this.
  21. HarmfulGrub8
    Cupcake Oct 3, 2019

HarmfulGrub8 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    I just bought the phone yesterday. Very happy with the performance. But it tends to get heated up while Gaming and the battery drains faster. Apart from that, it's a good phone.