Oneplus 7T USA discount

1. vjenci
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2020

vjenci , Feb 25, 2020 :
    USA customers get the 7T with a $100 discount while the rest of the world gets jack squat.

Are the US market ones cheaper to make? Accounting for the price difference and Euro to USD conversion the 7T is 30% cheaper in the US. I know there's a tax difference but it's definitely not that big.

2. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 25, 2020

NeonX89 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Regulations and taxation or lack there of and all sorts of things give people better deals depending on their contributions to real society "limited government control" & Capitalism... Blame your government not the ones who get better deal.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020

Hyperspacey and bhaumikbheda like this.
  3. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 25, 2020

Hyperspacey and bhaumikbheda like this.
  4. bhaumikbheda , via OnePlus 7T Frosted Silver , Feb 25, 2020 :
    USA customers not only get $100 discount but also get a $250 discount on top if they add a new line in T-Mobile and buy the 7T on monthly payment!!! That means, the phone costs only $250. Shocked? Surprised? Annoyed? Well, you can move to the USA then!

I personally got the 7T from a T-Mobile store for $599 and the price dropped down to $499 within 10 days, I just went and returned the phone back to the store (obviously they took a restocking fee), but I ordered the new one from oneplus.com on February 14 and got free bullets wireless 2 along!

Jealous? Well, you shouldn't be. Every other company has their own strategy to target customers into buying the phone.

NeonX89 likes this.
  5. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 25, 2020

NeonX89 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 25, 2020 :
    And i payed $899.99 with tax making it $975.59 plus the bill of +$120 a month making the bill $1095, for the 0nePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren... The 7Ts full price here $499.99+120.00 to $619.99 complaining and whining gets you all nowhere.
    Discount or shear luck that we don't over pay for a device?

H1582668531577 and bhaumikbheda like this.
  6. vjenci
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2020

vjenci , Feb 27, 2020 :
    Complaining yes, whining I am not. You need to chill dude... And thanks for your invitation to move to the US, but no thanks [e]1f601[/e] I respect the US but wouldn't wanna live there...

Thanks for putting things into perspective... [e]1f60a[/e] Paying a bit more might not be that bad of a deal after all...

7. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 27, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 27, 2020 :
    My guess would be that demand has fallen for the 7t. In a market economy, demand is the most important determinant of pricing.

As for TMO and other carriers, they have all kinds of schemes to tie people into contracts. The backbone carriers all offer non-contract prepaid, but they prefer selling contract postpaid. Prepaid service eliminates collection costs for the 5 to 15 percent of postpaid subscribers who fall into default, which is the main reason it costs less at the consumer level. But it also increases churn and denies a carrier the asset value of recurring revenue tied to contracts.

Offering a deep discount on a phone is worth it to a carrier if it results in a customer with decent credit signing a postpaid contract. On the consumer end, it may or may not be a better deal than paying full-price for the phone and activating on prepaid depending on their use pattern and whether it's an individual or a family/group plan. It's up to the consumer to do the math.

In the United States, there's another powerful disincentive from signing a contract, and that's the credit check. Credit checks require that the candidate provide their Social Security number, which unfortunately has become a de facto national ID number in the U.S. Because so many companies -- including one of our credit reporting agencies -- have been hacked, many consumers are loath to provide their SSN's and would rather just go prepaid to avoid doing so.

If they can't persuade customers to go postpaid, getting prepaid customers to pay in advance is the next best thing for carriers. Carriers are starting to offer prepaid customers steep discounts for longer-term prepayment. I fully expect that free or deeply-discounted phones will also be offered to prepaid customers (if they're not already) in return for non-refundable annual or biennial prepayment.

I recently ported a Google Voice number to AT&T prepaid for USD $300.00 / year (USD $25.00 / month) in return for paying for a year of service in advance. That includes unlimited talk and text, unlimited data with 8 GB / month at 4G speed, and one-month rollover on the 4G data. Some MVNO's, like Mint Mobile (piggybacking on TMO), offer even lower monthly prices in return for non-refundable annual prepayment.

AT&T Prepaid also offers discounts for multiple numbers that are billed on one bill. They don't have to be family members. In fact, they don't even have to provide their real names if they don't want to. Only the holder of the one number whose credit card is being billed has to provide their real name. I suppose the advantage to AT&T is that once a group of friends have agreed to such an arrangement, they're less likely to switch carriers on a whim.

Another issue that U.S. carriers face is a shortage of phone numbers in many markets. When a customer changes their number, the old number has to remain dormant for a while; and if the old number is getting heavily spammed, it may be declared non-usable for assignment to a new subscriber. Prepaid customers can change their numbers at will by simply abandoning a number and taking out a new one with the same or a different carrier; and all those dormant numbers represent lost opportunity cost for carriers.

In the end, it comes down to recurring revenue and reduced churn. Heavily discounting a phone in return for a contract achieves both. In a case like the 7t, where the carrier knows that the manufacturer is about to release a newer model of the phone, it also helps the carrier clear out new old stock while the older phones still have at least enough value for them to break even.

Richard

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020

vjenci and NeonX89 like this.
  8. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 27, 2020

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  9. vjenci
    Cupcake Feb 28, 2020

vjenci , Feb 28, 2020 :
    That's a detailed answer Richard. Makes sense.

Thanks for taking the time

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  10. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 28, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 28, 2020 :
    My pleasure. :)

Richard