ONEPLUS 8 & 8 PRO Launched, It is worth the price?

1. Swejuggalo
    Community Bug Hunter Apr 15, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    So many seems disappointed with regular 8 (and even 8 Pro).
    This year the SoC certainly did a price jump. For most even a too high jump.

https://www.androidcentral.com/snapdragon-865-5g-modem-value-category-oneplus

Just google sd 865 price for example. Some brands seems even to avoid releasing a 865 based phone due to it would not fit their intended price point nor fits the network needs for their biggest customer regions (as in lack of 5G, Poco for example). Besides the rumored Oneplus Z/lite would you even accept such a compromise to get a cheaper 8?
    I haven't compared that many brands but I'm pretty sure most with this SoC made noticable price bumps. These times with some extra economical instability and more or less forced on more expensive 5G phones might come at a bad time... But business is business. Want to play with the big guys and some hard choices needs to be taken.

2. MarkusRanz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2020

MarkusRanz , Apr 15, 2020 :
    normal 8 has same processor and modem, it is possible to make a affordable phone...its their new marketing to aim for big margins like Apple....
    As they never release any numbers of their sales they will be the only ones who know if this works. I personally doubt it

They also had just the 256GB variant for the 7tpro...so it’s even more expensive

Please use price comparators and look for sales instead of comparing listprice. Samsung phone prices are always way below list price after short time and even cheaper in sales.
    ONePlus phones never decrease in price and there are no sales or discounts.

3. kevonn95
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

kevonn95 , Apr 15, 2020 :
    The S20 Ultra is in another category. You should compare it with the S20+ that is about €1100, and you can trade in any smartphone and get a discount. Even I'd prefer the S20 at €1000 with a better camera, build quality, dimensions and less weight lol (and also a not so curved edge display that is so annoying with false touches)

4. malidan
    Nougat Apr 15, 2020

malidan , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Man you fans have started again with the hype It does not have the fastest wireless charging.
    1. Its the same as Xiaomi
    2. OPPO came with 40w Qi charging on Monday
    3. It is only 5 watt charging without the cradle.
    So to use the 30 watt charging will cost another $70.

jgcaap likes this.
  5. Achman
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

Achman , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 15, 2020 :
    And even now that Apple has announced the iPhone SE 2, it's going to be a bit problematic for OnePlus. But let's see how it goes.

kevonn95 likes this.
  6. malidan
    Nougat Apr 15, 2020

malidan , Apr 15, 2020 :

The QI was patented by OPPO sometime back and this motion thing has been around for years. Media Tek came with back in 2016 and OPPO also came with it before OP.

So I don't think the spent much time or money on these things.

7. kevonn95
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Yes, I understand. But I'd prefer a cheaper OP8 with no 5G and SD855+ maybe... They shoud have released a 5G and a 4G version with different prices. My opinion

Swejuggalo likes this.
  8. mollahnyc
    Eclair Apr 15, 2020

mollahnyc , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Hi, is your launch day special a joke? On April 15, 2020 at 12 pm EDT I tried to buy a one plus 8 pro and it's says out of stock in all colors. If you can't fulfill the customers demand, please don't advertise the bullshit "launch day special", ok?

kevonn95 likes this.
  9. nevernowhy
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2020

kevonn95 likes this.
  10. kevonn95
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Agree

11. Jeff Suazo
    Donut Apr 15, 2020

Jeff Suazo , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Half true:
    1- It does have the same screen as Xiami, that is also the best screen, but Xiami is more expensive.
    2- 40 W wireless charging is better on papers. Let's see if it does charge faster since both phones were released this week.
    3- 5 W for non 30W capable wireless charger, it sucks but that is expected for non compatible charger. Probably there is any cheaper option in the future for 30 W Wireless.

I know that I speak as a fan. I think that the phone is great, better than the current flagships, I would recommend this phone to anybody who has the chance to buy it. For the community I highly recommend the 7 Pro or 7T Pro. I'm currently using it and will stick with it for the next 3 years at least.

BENJZ89 likes this.
  12. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Apr 15, 2020

Liehjan , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Better build quality? Zacks durability test showed the build quality is top notch, just like Sammys s20 line... Reviewers on Youtube put it against the s20 ultra in camera tests, and the 8pro beats the Samsung in many of them

13. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Apr 15, 2020

Liehjan , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Also, the exynos version of s20 has really bad camera processing, and that's the only version sold outside of US

14. Secondbushome
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Secondbushome , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Well, either they spent on development or they're paying another company to use it because tech doesn't just get passed around freely.

OnePlus claims they developed the MEMC chip in-house and that they own the license for that proprietary wireless charging. Maybe they mean BBK does. Either way, money is spent to push tech forward, whether it is actually useful or not.

15. Swejuggalo
    Community Bug Hunter Apr 15, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I guess it depends on where you buy. My carrier usually adds free stuff to add value as time passes by or lower the monthly fee.

16. X1586970536373 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2020 :
    you do know samsung upped their game in updates also..all samsung flagships are with latest security updates and one plus is on last month update..and major updates are also at par with one plus..so updates is also not a concern..and oxygen os was a great thing in one plus favor but that too is at par with Samsung's new one ui 2.1..camera's will still be better on apple,google,Samsung as always..as long as you dont get then exynos version of s20..you're good to go for samsung.

17. X1586970536373 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2020 :
    don't go with reviews on YouTube..most of them are paid for..samsung apple etc they dont pay to youtubers but spend their budget on better advertising. and personally after a year one plus camera's and battery are just plain shit.

18. X1586970536373 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2020 :
    lol..all samsung devices(flagships) are on the latest security updates and one plus are a month behind..yeah..it was a thing of past that samsung is slow on updates..these days its on par with one plus..and i won't go with yourube reviews..as per my experience one plus camera's have always been inferior to apple google and Samsung. and after a year with updates it gets worse rather than something better.

19. X1586970536373 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2020 :
    their resale value is next to shit if compared to apple..even a cheap apple device costing near one plus 8pro will have better value after a year..samsung will also have some value but it's less than apple and more than one plus..

Secondbushome likes this.
  20. X1586970536373 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2020 :
    lol..you're in a dilemma my friend..try ro sell your one plus 7t pro at this date..their resale value is pure garbage..and at this price..if you think you'll get good money after a year...forget about it.