ONEPLUS 8 & 8 PRO Launched, It is worth the price?

1. GuitarBart
    Jelly Bean Apr 16, 2020

GuitarBart , Apr 16, 2020 :
    This is not just for the memory. It was already known the costprice of the new Snapdragon was a lot higher, the 5g modem is more expensive, the higher refresh rate screens are slightly more expensive etc. Then you round up to an attractive looking price and you're done.

You can actually order the starter 8 Pro from €899 (8GB + 128GB) The €999 is the topspec model.

I do still think it's very expensive though.

Jeff Suazo and Y.Singh like this.
  2. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Apr 16, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 16, 2020 :
    The rumored 8 Z/Lite comes for a reason... Hopefully there will 3 different models eventually. All 3 good considering the price tag. Maybe not good all 3 this time around... But eventually. But given the price of some components a phone like 8 Z would have some hard to accept compromises since most are used certain specs. How many accept anything else than the latest Snapdragon when you had 7 or 7T before? This will of course come as a huge disappointment... But if future Snapdragons continues with these prices and go even higher we have to get used to lower specs Snapdragons or Mediatek for the better priced phones.
    Even Poco seems (so far) to have desided not to make a 865 based phone. Both due to SoC price but also due to the 5G. The price and specs simply didn't cut it for their biggest region of customers.
    Many middle range phones simply don't use 865... Sadly it's more of a high end chip that is put of reach for many price segments. Ofcouse 865 is not the only thing that raises the price of 8 series but probably the bigger part of it.

3. MarkusRanz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 16, 2020

MarkusRanz , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Last year 256GB was standard for the pro! Don’t let them fool you, price increased 240€

normal 8 has same processor, so they Charge 200€ for camera and Screen. Camera is still just average, and screen was perfect before....

They are going for the higher margin route, that’s clear. Price for value is massively reduced!

4. onedrop
    Donut Apr 16, 2020

onedrop , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 16, 2020 :
    For me not worth the price to "upgrade" from the 7t

And going by their price trends the 8t also looks like a big upgrade money wise[e]1f60f[/e]

5. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Apr 16, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 16, 2020 :
    And just to muddy the waters even gurther

MediaTek accused of cheating in benchmarks, accuses ‘key competitor’ too

https://www.androidauthority.com/mediatek-benchmark-cheating-1104212/

If this is the case then someone needs to step up to the plate and clarify the situation.

6. Cavist
    Eclair Apr 16, 2020

Cavist , Apr 16, 2020 :
    I am going to quote myself from other topic and also add another idea below.

Or maybe the high launch price was intentional to grab as many cash from pre order and after initial sale surge then wait for people to clean out all the 7 and 7T models and then switch to 8 and 8Pro when they will be discounted - you can even wrap it in some marketing BS like ‘we will never settle and now introduce lower prices because of the corona virus <whatever>’

Y.Singh, rationale and bobsta like this.
  7. MarkusRanz

they will never reduce the prices, that’s a no go. Imagine what people would say that paid the high prices 😂😂😂

They just increase there margins and hope that all goes well. If they would have increased prices just slightly not 20-30 percent nobody would have cared, even the trick with the smaller memory option to advertise a lower price couldn’t hide that...

i am sure the next phone will be the same price and they Hope That People will forget about the greediness with time

8. priasda
    Froyo Apr 16, 2020

priasda , via OnePlus 3 , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Is it only me who thinks so much criticism about these prices is absolutely unfair?
    If I compare OP8 pro against another beast Samsung S20 ultra
    I see OP8 has got slightly better and more flexible display, much better processor(compared to Samsung's Exynos version), slightly better design and looks, inferior camera. Overall probably OP8 just edges out. Yet OP8 pro base model is £400 cheaper than its Samsung equivalent. You also need to factor the new 5G processor is very expensive which is beyond OP's control.

For me the deal breaker is punch hole camera which is a design step back and OP lost the opportunity to stand out among the rest. Other than that an extra color filter lens is absolutely useless, could have provided a better telephoto lens instead with at least 5x optical zoom.

Personally IP68 rating and wireless charging do not make any difference to me however I acknowledge lot of other people do want them. Probably OP could have launched a more premium Ultra model with these features and reduced the price of Pro model.
    It's still a stunning phone but personally I can't stand the sight of a hole destroying such a wonderful display. So I won't go for it even if they reduce the price to half.

Jeff Suazo likes this.
  9. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Apr 16, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Heard of some brands doing it a few times too.
    If Mediatek wants to fill the void in areas where Snapdragon is too expensive they need to behave

Caomhin likes this.
  10. M1586324298916
    Cupcake Apr 16, 2020

M1586324298916 , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Please we need from you to be in egypt. There is alot of funs in egypt and we love one plus phones but the we spend alot of money to get your devices for example if I need 8 pro I will spend 400 dollars more. Please open in egypt

11. Cavist
    Eclair Apr 16, 2020

Cavist , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Naaaah, the price will drop, maybe only as a temporary offer but still. You can get Apple products or any other brand like Samsung, LG, OnePlus with discount from the country retailers or Amazon. No need to buy directly from OnePlus website.

Question is how much it will drop.

12. JelleZon
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Apr 16, 2020

13. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Apr 16, 2020

Looking at that, the difference is not so pronounced, it merely follows through with a slightly wider gap, cheaper overall, to other manufacturers.

Hardware costs, labour costs etc have all increased and everyone is pricing the market within the ranges they have had all along.

Just gonna have to live with it I guess. Its the nature of the beast.

JelleZon likes this.
  14. G_Jonathan_Stanway_BDKV
    Cupcake Apr 16, 2020

G_Jonathan_Stanway_BDKV , Apr 16, 2020 :
    It depends what you are comparing the OP8 to.

For instance OP8 Vs Huawei P30 pro

Similar size screen, resolution, cut out, weight etc

Differences

5g Vs 4g not a huge difference for many at the moment

IP rating Huawei has
    Wireless charging Huawei has
    Cameras Huawei probably better
    Refresh rate 60 Vs 90Hz OP wins
    Price? Huawei can now be bought cheaper despite higher original price.
    Kirin 980 Vs Snapdragon 665, both probably fine for any everyday use

I just think they have lost the essence of what made OP phones popular

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  15. MarkusRanz

what prices are you comparing, phone names would have made much more sense... also list price comparison is not fair as I said before. ONePlus never offers discounts, not directly and not through amazon or similiar. Samsung phones have decreasing prices very fast(few hundred in few month)

Don’t let this graph fool you, if you just compare 7tpro to 8pro the price increased 240€ more than 25%....that’s just more money for ONePlus

16. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Apr 16, 2020

MarkusRanz

what prices are you comparing, phone names would have made much more sense... also list price comparison is not fair as I said before. ONePlus never offers discounts, not directly and not through amazon or similiar. Samsung phones have decreasing prices very fast(few hundred in few month)

Don’t let this graph fool you, if you just compare 7tpro to 8pro the price increased 240€ more than 25%....that’s just more money for ONePlus​

Comparison is for the current prices set for the current base models for each Flagship phone, Apple, OP and Samsung its easy to find that info online. Those are all the RRP from each manufacturer for their base Flagship model phones, so it is a good comparison overall.

17. jgcaap

jgcaap , Apr 16, 2020 :
    I disagree on the software being better. As also camera performance etc. Let's see what future reserves. Corona crises will push companies to push prices down if they want to sell.

18. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Apr 16, 2020

Seems Geek buying are taking orders at a discount price already.

Won't let the full link post for some reason.

m.**********.com/item/Global-ROM-OnePlus-8-6-55-Inch-5G-Smartphone-8GB-128GB-Onyx-Black-424230.html

Copy the address, and change the asterisks to Geek buying. Com

1587036081512.jpg

19. malidan
    Nougat Apr 16, 2020

malidan , Apr 16, 2020 :
    The 8 @$699 is could to see a bit trouble with the SE 2020 coming in at $399+ poss trade in and the small form factor Reviewers keep banging on about.
    This is going to be an Android killer as closet fans jump ship.

20. MarkoBatrac

MarkoBatrac , Apr 16, 2020 :
    Ok, I understand you. In my case, I cannot use Samsung , because few reason : expensive ( yes, even compared with latest op8 series. For example, in my country , Samsung S20 ultra is around 1400 EUR, and OP8 pro, same 128 gb model 980 EUR. ), quality ( I just like Oneplus design and build quality), support (service and community), software update etc etc. I also tried Xiaomi, which is also flagship , but nah.. I got used to Oneplus cell phones and that's it. Love on first :)