ONEPLUS 8 & 8 PRO Launched, It is worth the price?

1. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Apr 15, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I'm not from India actually, but considering this country as their top market I don't think this would still be the best option out there.

Even though I bought McLaren for $800, which I still think wasn't that bad purchase, new price tags are insane. I find them quite frightening. And I saw the price of local retailers in my country after launch, it's around $1287 for the 12/256 Pro version. Lol.

Now I start to think, that buying Samsung on snapdragon in a few months after the launch isn't such a bad idea.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020

2. malidan
    Nougat Apr 15, 2020

malidan , Apr 15, 2020 :
    They do, but you won't get market value for it.

3. Jeff Suazo
    Donut Apr 15, 2020

Jeff Suazo , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I get your point, and honestly I think you're right. But what really disappoint me is that OnePlus work their way to make a flagship phone, and went they finally made a Phone with nothing to envy Samsung, Apple or any other company, their community is considering to buy an Apple or Samsung phone instead. A few people are able to test them, review it and gave positive feedback about the phones.

The major issue I think is the name. If they put it like: OnePlus 8 Ultra or OnePlus 8+ Pro, and announce 8 Pro and 8 later on (who are basically 7T and 7pro with better chipset) at the price range we were expecting, OnePlus wouldn't be considered a traitor by their fan base as it is right now.

YpsilonTM likes this.
  4. Lethaljoe
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Lethaljoe , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    It's becouse of the CPU. The Snapdragon 865 chip come with a mandatory 5G modem. So to keep costs down OnePlus would have to go with an older chipset. People would hate that more than this, becouse it's older components in the new device which would now be dated.

5. MarkusRanz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2020

MarkusRanz , Apr 15, 2020 :
    You brought it exactly on point.

They will increase Samsung and iPhone sales with this....and I think most people will buy one of these for a similar price

kevonn95 likes this.
  6. anesh007

kevonn95 likes this.
  7. Secondbushome
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Secondbushome , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :

That's to be expected because I don't think many OnePlus followers actually consider OnePlus to be a premium brand nor want it to be making those types of flagships. I'm sure some do of course, as well as the tech media. But a major portion are super price-sensitive and follow OnePlus for its smart compromises. And why would someone pay nearly as much for a OnePlus phone as a brand with a stronger brand history, stronger presence, stronger clout like Apple or Samsung? OnePlus is taking its customer base for granted and abandoning the roots that initially drew their followers. So its customers have every reason to leave.

Another concern has been how OnePlus has been spending their R&D on these useless 'innovations' like darkening glass, MEMC tech, proprietary wireless charging, etc. That's contributing to the rising costs. It's like maybe it should spend that money on improving the camera instead?

To be fair, the 7 Pro was nearly the perfect formula for a phone at its price.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020

andyPR23, MarkusRanz and bobsta like this.
  8. Zobbyfrost
    Eclair Apr 15, 2020

Zobbyfrost , Apr 15, 2020 :
    The price could have been less without the IP68 rating and also, they could have just increased the speed for the wired charging instead of working on wireless charging.

PootisManTF2, Flawn_ and kevonn95 like this.
  9. Secondbushome
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Secondbushome , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    COMPROMISE was what OnePlus was good at before. Being able to strip a flagship phone down to its essential features while also leaving a little bit extra. They gave that up to appease tech reviewers and spec chest-beaters. The funny thing is that the 8 series is barely better than last year's phones.

Achman likes this.
  10. Zobbyfrost
    Eclair Apr 15, 2020

Zobbyfrost , Apr 15, 2020 :
    That's straight facts, because all there is on the pro model is an extra camera, IP rating, 120 hrtz, and wieless charge. I am pretty sure that the 7 model is water resistant, the camera is slightly better, they should've made the wired charger 50 warp charge.

Achman and kevonn95 like this.
  11. kevonn95
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

kevonn95 , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Agree, for $999 I'd rather buy an S20 than a OP8Pro.

I don't want more cameras or gimmicks, just Wide, Ultra Wide and Telephoto with great quality.

Achman, ngydat and Deactivated User like this.
  12. kevonn95
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

kevonn95 , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I Agree. For that Price I'd buy an S20 5G that has better cameras, faster updates, better build quality and is more ergonomic

stadi likes this.
  13. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Apr 15, 2020

Chinda , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I don't think many people on the forum understand the the Snapdragon 865 is lot more expensive for OnePlus and the other's to buy than the Snapdragon in last years phones. It's said to be something like 50% more expensive because of the added 5G modem.

Next year the modem will be integrated into the 2021 Snapdragon chip so it should be a bit cheaper for the companies to buy. And it will also be more power efficient.

14. Lethaljoe
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Lethaljoe , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Exactly. Plus the IP rating is another reason too. I don't understand why so many people actually care about it. Most of the previous phones from the past few years have been water resistant, just not been officially certified.

And lest we forget that if an IP68 rated phone did get water damaged, it doesn't protect it with some insurance. You still have to pay for a repair. IP ratings ate just bogus peace of mind figure. Absolutely pointless

15. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Apr 15, 2020

Chinda , Apr 15, 2020 :
    OnePlus 8 Pro 12GB RAM 256GB Storage is £159 cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 12GB RAM 256GB Storage.

From the early reviews the OnePlus 8 Pro more than holds it own against the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra. Even in the camera performance.

The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra launched with some major camera glitches. The automatic focus not working properly and pulsating flashes in videos, some people still haven't even got the software updates to fix it.

pablofg1978 and Jeff Suazo like this.
  16. Shashank Mahajan , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I think we should the see company side too. They have invested a lot money too. I think the cost is also very high now.
    They have improved the camera which almost every oneplus fan needed and asked OnePlus for it.
    No doubt, they have increased a price alot, but never disappointed us in giving us the best phone of the year.
    Still it's price in India will less than Samsung S20

PS: OnePlus is always my go to phone. 🙂

17. Dave1482

Dave1482 , Apr 15, 2020 :
    lol the Samsung devices have SLOWER updates

18. alex531S
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2020

alex531S , Apr 15, 2020 :
    In Canada Right now S20+ 512GB sells for 1352.79, subtract 200 for trading in literally any phone that turns on, so 1152.79.
    Oneplus 8 Pro 256GB sells for 1471.55(after 5% student discount).

For 320(361 after tax in ON) dollars less, you get 256GB extra storage, and a Samsung phone.

Granted updates will be slower and wireless charges will be slower. But is it worth the 300 dollars difference? And before anyone say Oneplus is a small company thus cost will be higher, Oneplus is sub company of Oppo and the screen is literally the same as the Oppo Find X2, so they are probably getting parts at the same price, if not lower than Samsung

I think what oneplus did is just pushing the sales of Samsung and Apple higher.

I had a Oneplus 3 and Samsung S9+, I think my next phone will be a ebay Oneplus 7Pro for 500CAD.

19. Turbofotografas , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Phone base price max 500euro for pro and 400euro 1+8...Flagship killer is dead...They drop the orices after 60days:)

20. cdenigris
    Eclair Apr 15, 2020

cdenigris , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Wow I'm using the OnePlus 6 still. Its a great phone. I told my wife I wanted to get a OnePlus 8 for my birthday coming up in May but looking at these prices I'm just like woah, its not that much better than my 6 to justify these prices. I mean sure it has better cameras and smoother screen but am I willing to drop 1000 bucks for the best one or 7-800 for the lesser one. I have been defending OnePlus for years telling Apple and Samsung people about it and they look at me like I have 10 heads and ask who makes OnePlus, what is that. But even I have to draw the line somewhere. People are losing their jobs all over the USA right now, we are heading into a damn depression. Who can justify these prices. I guess I am going to stick with the 6 for a bit longer. Very disappointed.