ONEPLUS 8 & 8 PRO Launched, It is worth the price?

1. djfredey
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2020

djfredey , Apr 15, 2020 :
    In fact the major issue with this price ( and why I'll personally maybe switch from 1+ to anyone else ) is the price value of the phone itself months later !
    The 1+8 will see it prices drop down and its resale value will be ridiculous compared to a Samsung.

So yeah, if you planned to use this new 1+ until it drop dead, OK buy it ! But if you want to change every 1 - 2 years, it will cost too much compared to a Apple / Samsung.

2. jgcaap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2020

jgcaap , Apr 15, 2020 :
    If they want to chase new customers I think they should keep prices a bit lower and not so high. They might have increase price because of demand but only they can analyse their own data to know about if the price they apply makes sense. Honestly I wish only success for them. 😊

3. Gillysixpence
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

Gillysixpence , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I still look at it this way, the very top spec Samsung is still £400 more than the OnePlus top spec model. We get longer and fast Android updates and because these OP phones are so well made people tend to hold on to them much longer. I also feel that OP are far more involved with their community than any other phone brand I've come across. For me I plan to use my new 8 indefinitely with no intention or wish to upgrade. And as I understand it from the forums even once the Android updates finish for a model you can mod it to run newer software version, therefore lengthening the life of the phone further. I cannot wait to get my OP8!!!!!!

Eric G.C. likes this.
  4. Fladmus
    Eclair Apr 15, 2020

Fladmus , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I'm out OnePlus. I never got the Oneplus 1 but I've have every iteration since 2 though I skipped 7T because I got the 7 Pro. With the amount of issues I still have with Oxygen OS, notifications espially burn-ins on my 7 Pro and suddenly hanging up on people.

Your price hike is just too steep. I'll go with Samsung in the future as the only thing I was really looking for was camera improvements and finally getting all my notifications when they arrive (this will never happen it seems).

Let's see who the next company is that will take the place of high specs at fair price instead of trying to get a premium by loading useless features like 5G and Wifi 6 and telling people it's worth the premium. Also, I know some people were asking for it, but I never needed an IP rating on my phone. If it can handle raindrops, that's all good for me.

Now with a 120hz screen, I suspect I would be able to beat my record of burn-in within a month on 7 Pro too, so that's a lot of money out the window for artifacts on white screens.

Now don't get me wrong, it's every company's right to go for the Apple strategy. Brand yourself and overcharge. It's fair and the consumers will make or break you in the end.

A pro phone was your chance to do this and I was already happy to get off that train and settle for your non-premium. But the price hike here as well I cannot accept and I stood by you after OP2!

Good Luck out there OnePlus, hope to see you around one day :)

5. p51d007 and sanket.t03 like this.
  6. Secondbushome
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Secondbushome , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    In my experience between a S8 and 7 Pro, the Samsung has considerably more frequent and faster updates. I'm on the March security update with the S8 while I'm still on January with the 7 Pro. OnePlus also only updates every other month while Samsung is monthly.

Y.Singh likes this.
  7. Y.Singh
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

Y.Singh , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    yes the Samsung's do update faster and get more regular updates but major updates like new android versions OnePlus will lead

Gillysixpence and Secondbushome like this.
  8. bkeaver , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2020 :
    you all who complain about the price are cracking me up. I mean come on , everyone complained that they need all these flagship features for the last few years and they finally have done it, 120hz 2k screens, improved camera, ip rating, wireless charging and the list goes on. News flash everyone, this cannot happen without price hike. that's just how this works.

Gillysixpence, Eric G.C. and Y.Singh like this.
  9. Miniterror
    Froyo Apr 15, 2020

Miniterror , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 15, 2020 :
    keep in mind though that prices of samsung devices tend to go lower after a few months where the 1+ always stays at the same price.
    im quite sure that jn 2 months the Samsung you are reffering to will be cheaper then the 1+

Chinda and MarkusRanz like this.
  10. bkeaver , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 15, 2020 :
    you all who complain about the price are cracking me up. I mean come on , everyone complained that they need all these flagship features for the last few years and they finally have done it, 120hz 2k screens, improved camera, ip rating, wireless charging and the list goes on. News flash everyone, this cannot happen without price hike. that's just how this works.

11. Y.Singh
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

the Samsung will become very cheap losing half its value in like 5 to 6 months however OnePlus devices hold there value better so it's good if you buy used for a Samsung but if you buy new on a OnePlus you will have better resale value. it's a win win.

12. strafer
    Lollipop Apr 15, 2020

strafer , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Samsung Galaxy S20+ 8GB/128GB started here in February at 999 Euros, two months later it's 745 Euros. Next month it will be less than 700 Euros.
    OnePlus 8+ 8GB/128GB will cost 899 Euros - this month, next month and later.
    Failed. Totally failed. Too bad.

the_o2, meatandy, otto2 and 4 others like this.
  13. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 15, 2020

B_Wrath , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Couldn't you rant in an already available thread? You didn't have to create this pointless thread.

14. Secondbushome
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2020

Secondbushome , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    I doubt OnePlus phones will hold their resale value, esp as they get more expensive. It may have seemed that way in the past because the retail price was relatively low, so it couldn't drop that much.

X1586970536373 likes this.
  15. Y.Singh
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2020

yes that could be true but my 7t pro is worth around 450 in the used market which and a s10 is about 400 so far it's working out alright but we'll have to see.

16. Y.Singh likes this.
  17. Dave1482

Dave1482 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 15, 2020 :
    If you're in the USA you can use the 10.3.2 zip, as it has been working well for me

18. MarkusRanz

MarkusRanz , Apr 15, 2020 :
    That’s the recommended price. The normal street price on Samsung’s is a few hundred below. And in a sale it is even less.
    OP don’t gives you discount not even one penny until next year.

19. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Apr 15, 2020

Liehjan , Apr 15, 2020 :
    That's exactly the price on both devices here in Finland... So here the difference is still 400€

20. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Apr 15, 2020