OnePlus 8/8 Pro - O2 5G via OnePlus 7 Pro

1. jwheadley
    Eclair Apr 15, 2020

3. ShehryarHussain786
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2020

ShehryarHussain786 , Apr 15, 2020 :
    yeah, it seems like the O2 5G won't work with oneplus 8. but I would say wait for the device to become available. and it might actually work. I'm waiting to see when the device does become available in 3 stores and try it out.

otto2 and jwheadley like this.
  4. lhayati
    Donut Apr 15, 2020

lhayati , Apr 15, 2020 :
    o2 also uses 5g band n78 so it should work no problem. I'm assuming because their source was Wikipedia it was inaccurate information.

MuditSharm, otto2, jwheadley and 2 others like this.
  5. Sabita_Mukherjee
    Donut Apr 15, 2020

Sabita_Mukherjee , Apr 15, 2020 :
    Hi I noticed that too and posted a question on the thread "AMA about OnePlus 8 Series: Submit your questions!" but still waiting an answer.

I then sent a question via email to OnePlus customer support and got this back... "About your query we would like to inform you that currently OnePlus 8 Pro supports only 4G in United Kingdom. For 5G support the devise need to purchase through the network provider."

I think they are wrong here as O2 do use the n78 Band so I think the info on the website is wrong as mentioned above.

otto2, jwheadley and W1586962319065 like this.
  6. feroze , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 17, 2020 :

Sabita_Mukherjee

Hi I noticed that too and posted a question on the thread "AMA about OnePlus 8 Series: Submit your questions!" but still waiting an answer.

I then sent a question via email to OnePlus customer support and got this back... "About your query we would like to inform you that currently OnePlus 8 Pro supports only 4G in United Kingdom. For 5G support the devise need to purchase through the network provider."

I think they are wrong here as O2 do use the n78 Band so I think the info on the website is wrong as mentioned above.​

The update that was downloaded today included a 5G update for Three in the UK, even though I bought the phone direct from OP
    1587079565058.jpg

otto2, jwheadley and Sabita_Mukherjee like this.
  7. Sabita_Mukherjee
    Donut Apr 17, 2020

jwheadley likes this.
  8. jwheadley
    Eclair Apr 18, 2020

jwheadley , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 18, 2020 :
    I am still await a reply from OP Support - tbh, I am not holding my breath!

Looks like I will have my OP7 Pro.... Untill it does!

9. jwheadley
    Eclair Apr 18, 2020

Sabita_Mukherjee, feroze and otto2 like this.
  10. Sabita_Mukherjee
    Donut Apr 18, 2020

2pints likes this.
  11. 2pints
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 18, 2020

2pints , Apr 18, 2020 :
    I would go on the worst case scenario, that the OP 8 series will not work with 5G in the UK - could do with a separate thread warning others

Sabita_Mukherjee likes this.
  12. Sabita_Mukherjee
    Donut Apr 18, 2020

13. Incarniac
    Donut Apr 18, 2020

Incarniac , Apr 18, 2020 :
    Edit: It's worth reading ChrisKeegan's post below for a real-life report on 5G on O2 with OP8.

I looked this up before I pre-ordered the OnePlus 8 Pro, and concluded the same as this:

The OnePlus 8 supports band n78 (3500MHz), O2's 5G band is n78 (3500MHz) (2). O2's actual frequency is actually 3500-3540MHz and n78 covers 3.3-3.8GHz (2). O2 also has some 5G in the 2300MHz range (band n41) which the OP8/OP8P does not support, but from what I can see O2 are not using this range for 5G - yet.

The Wikipedia page for O2 lists the n78 band. The Wikipedia 5G NR page now also correctly lists O2 using n78, which is where I believe OnePlus originally sourced its information but this page was incorrect as of a couple of days ago so it looks like it's since been corrected (but OnePlus hasn't fixed its information).

I'm pretty confident it'll work just fine (for their current 5G n78 band). Edit: Maybe not so confident anymore after ChrisKeegan's post below.

It's worth noting that with O2 at least it seems you need a new SIM for 5G services. Their SIM plans include both 4G and 5G but when recently signing up for a new deal (I was already an O2 customer) they decided to send me a new SIM when I ticked the box that I have a 5G capable device (which I actually don't have yet as that'll be the OP8 Pro :) ). You'll then obviously also need to be in a 5G enabled area for it to work (my home area doesn't have 5G yet, but my work area does - though who knows when I'll be back in the office to be able to check it out :) ).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020

jwheadley and Sabita_Mukherjee like this.
  14. Sabita_Mukherjee
    Donut Apr 19, 2020

15. ChrisKeegan
    Donut Apr 19, 2020

ChrisKeegan , Apr 19, 2020 :
    Just wanted to add my findings to this thread.

I currently have a Glacial Green OnePlus 8 Pro that I received as part of the Pop Up Box offer in the UK. Have been using the phone for 2 days and it is far superior to my previous OnePlus 6T.

I am on the O2 Network with a 5G SIM and 5G tariff that I was previously using on a Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 5G Device and was receiving 5G in certain areas where I live.

Unfortunately when moving the SIM into the OnePlus 8 Pro there is no option currently to pick 5G.

Under Settings/Network/Preferred Network Type you only have the Option to pick up to 4G currently.

I'm hoping this is something that O2 and OnePlus can agree on soon and release a Firmware or Network update as I am missing the 5G speeds.

Fingers crossed.

Incarniac and Sabita_Mukherjee like this.
  16. Incarniac
    Donut Apr 19, 2020

Incarniac , Apr 19, 2020 :
    Won't be able to test for a while as I'm stuck at home in the current Coronavirus times and there's no 5G around these parts. Whenever we can get back to work, I can test :)

jwheadley and Sabita_Mukherjee like this.
  17. Incarniac
    Donut Apr 19, 2020

Thanks for this - interesting. The Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 5G supports n78 - as a matter of fact, it only supports n78 and only 5G NSA (also states sub-6 but that means it only supports below 6GHz 5G) while the OP8/OP8P supports NSA and SA 5G.

Which is to say, it does look like either firmware or (perhaps more likely?) something O2's side with enabling devices for 5G services.

jwheadley likes this.
  18. Batfink32
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 19, 2020

Batfink32 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 19, 2020 :
    How strange, I wonder if all networks are like this? I'm on three and they don't have separate 4g and 5g sims although I don't know if they restrict certain phones. I'm about 10 miles from a 5g reception area anyway and won't be able to test this until lockdown is over.

jwheadley likes this.
  19. Mitz Parmar
    Gingerbread Apr 19, 2020

Mitz Parmar , Apr 19, 2020 :
    I'm on O2 and seeing these posts about 5G has me a little dubious. I'm not on a 5G plan as there isn't much point at the moment. 5G won't be widespread for another 1-2 years I don't think.
    The phone at the mo is being prepared in advance. Hopefully by that time there will be more of a definitive answer on O2 + OP8 = 5G. If there isn't then I'll look at other networks if need be but there's time

20. Incarniac
    Donut Apr 19, 2020

I think most networks approve devices to a degree - at least for newer technologies. 4G Calling / VoLTE being a known one for me (my OP7P works on VoLTE on O2 despite not being sold on the network, but my wife's Huawei P20 does not as it's not approved by O2). I suspect (hope) 5G falls into this category at least while it's still a new technology in the process of being rolled out and therefore the OP8/OP8P will work on O2 5G in due course.

Having said that, Three actually sells the OP8/OP8P themselves so there's a good (better) chance it'll just work as they'll already have tested the phone on their network.

Batfink32 likes this.