Display Oneplus 8 display issues

1. Lone17
    Donut Apr 26, 2020

Lone17 , Apr 26, 2020 :
    [update] the issues still persist in 10.5.5

[update] add TLDR

[update] add some pics and a video

TLDR; Oneplus 8 display issues with pics and a video. Manufacture date: 28/3

Hey there, I recently bought the OP8. Sadly, my display have some issues. There are other users reporting similar issues here, but didn't seem to receive any attention from the company. So I see the need to create a new topic, hoping OP cares about the OP8 and the pricier model OP8 pro equally. Here are the steps I used to reproduce the problems:

Get a dark grey image. I used a dark grey (#333333) screenshot-ed from the Display Tester app

Set brightness at 20-30%, auto brightness off, DC dimming off, screen calibration to natural

Display the dark grey image, make sure it cover fullscreen

The issues are, which can be seen more easily inside a dark room:

The under-screen fingerprint sensor is visible as 2 overlapping rectangles

The right edge of the screen is noticeably brighter

Display something bright and static or about 5-10s and then switch to the dark gray image, I can see the image retention issue and the pixels are slowly fading out. (in my case, I do the following: open the dark grey image full screen => go to home screen, which has the icon of chrome, google, google photos, google drive - all have a white background - and stay there for a few seconds => then open the gallery to display the dark image)

Screen flickering at lower brightness

This is my first OP phone that I get for my birthday (which is today) after 6 years using a Lumia 630 until it becomes unusable. Regardless to say, these issues on such a great phone in such a meaningful occasion disappointed me immensely.

Disclaimer: I was not looking for these issues. I often use my phone at night with dark mode and these issues are noticeable on several apps (i.e. chrome, discord)

image retention - In the video, you can see the icons slowly fade away

under-screen finger print sensor visibility and the right edge of the screen is brighter - because these 2 are hard to capture and the image was taken using a potato camera in a very dark room, it might be hard to see, but it is more noticeable in real life. You can try to increase the contrast to see it clearer, the shape of the fingerprint area is very similar to what shown in this video

5D0BB3C1-A401-4CCB-A759-C441B254725E.jpeg

uniformity issue at low brightness (about 15% or less) - I found out about this when trying to reproduce the above issue. This won't affect my everyday use much but I still want to point it out. This image was shoot when night mode is on to make the effect clearer to the camera.

C94ED0A9-CB83-4506-A924-5E02625D599B.jpeg

Last edited: May 3, 2020

2. ArKonte
    Cupcake Apr 27, 2020

ArKonte , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Exactly the same problem Oneplus 8 Pro.

Weird thing is that this one "The under-screen fingerprint sensor is visible as 2 overlapping rectangles" completely dissapeared, under all conditions I tried, it wont appear anymore.

But all the other problems still active, (didnt notice flickering)

3. Lone17
    Donut Apr 27, 2020

Lone17 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Just update some images and a video.

I also notice the under-screen fingerprint visibility is less severe than yesterday, but still noticeable. Can't think of any explanation for this.

Flickering and uniformity was found while I trying to reproduce the other problems. It only happens when the brightness is really low on a dark image, and it does not affect my everyday use much, but I still pointed those out for others to know.

A1509557061431 and whezrum like this.

A1509557061431 and Lone17 like this.
  5. whezrum
    Gingerbread May 3, 2020

whezrum , May 3, 2020 :
    I had the same issues you described, except the fingerprint scanner (I could only see it under direct sun light just as on previous OP models), plus I had a sort of two horizontal bands (side to side) of darker pixels lines, visible in many conditions, at mid or high brightness too. These bands were large about 2 cm, one starting from the front camera and the other from middle screen to below and they flickered differently from the rest of the screen at low brightness. I've sent it back for a replacement, but I'm afraid I'll just get another device with the same problems, or even worse. Maybe I'll ask for a refund, I don't know. I'm very disappointed.

huygens and Lone17 like this.
  6. Lone17
    Donut May 3, 2020

Lone17 , May 3, 2020 :
    Perhaps you could get a replacement and then if the issues still persist on the 2nd device, then you ask for a refund ? If you choose to replace your device, please kindly share your experience with the new device.

7. Lone17
    Donut May 3, 2020

Lone17 , May 3, 2020 :
    May I ask what is your device's manufacture date ? I am hoping that it is just the early batches prior to official release have bad QC.

9. whezrum
    Gingerbread May 3, 2020

whezrum , May 3, 2020 :
    I've already sent back my first OP8 and I'm waiting for the replacement. I don't know how the process works exactly, but if it will be the case, I'll try to ask for a refund.

Definitely not normal, but very common on this device.

10. MrCrazyR , via OnePlus Community App , May 3, 2020 :
    its only for view sec then its gone, maybe the display still need to burn in because its oled

11. whezrum
    Gingerbread May 3, 2020

whezrum , May 3, 2020 :
    The display doesn't need to burn in that way because it's amoled. If yuo're fine with that display, then keep it, but remember frequent doesn't mean normal, so consider contacting the support.

12. adnan0070
    Cupcake Jun 19, 2020

adnan0070 , Jun 19, 2020 :

13. SohamMallick
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2020

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020

A1509557061431 likes this.
  14. SohamMallick
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2020

SohamMallick , via OnePlus 8 , Jun 22, 2020 :
    How does your fingerprint burn issue resolved? Any suggestions? I'm facing this too.
    View attachment 1343951

15. SohamMallick
    Gingerbread Jul 3, 2020

16. Nickpurohit
    Eclair Jul 7, 2020

Nickpurohit , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 7, 2020 :
    One plus 8 user. First pic is of chrome (dark mode) in the lowest brightness and second pic is in full brightness. I am not able to understand is there something wrong with my device or is it ok. Somebody please tell.

17. Nickpurohit
    Eclair Jul 7, 2020

Nickpurohit , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 7, 2020 :
    1594120075475.jpg

1594120075509.jpg
    One plus 8 user. First pic is of chrome (dark mode) in the lowest brightness and second pic is in full brightness. I am not able to understand is there something wrong with my device or is it ok. Somebody please tell. In full brightness i can see some lines over the top.

A1509557061431 likes this.
  18. SohamMallick
    Gingerbread Jul 7, 2020

SohamMallick , Jul 7, 2020 :
    Please use clean grey background at low brightness level.Take a good clear photo in dark room, then after we can tell.

19. Subhasmita99
    Eclair Jul 7, 2020

Subhasmita99 , Jul 7, 2020 :
    OnePlus Customer Support is at its worst right now. They are simply unbothered.