OnePlus 8 Pro camera keeps switching to macro mode via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. SplashJones123
    Cupcake Jun 24, 2020

SplashJones123 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 24, 2020 :
    Hey y'all, so I love the 8 Pro and I love the camera as well as macro mode, let me just start off by saying that! However, I've noticed that with the new update they added a feature in to automatically switch to macro mode, in theory this is nice, but for me whenever I'm taking pictures of documents for work or paper or sometimes things it doesn't recognize even from two or three feet away where I would clearly not use macro mode it automatically switches me to macro mode and I have to turn it off and sometimes it turns right back on and it in general takes two to three times as long to take a picture. obviously at this range macro mode makes the quality worse, does anybody experience this?

Z1583782138001 and lavalamp6 like this.
  2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jun 24, 2020

script and SplashJones123 like this.
  3. lavalamp6
    Gingerbread Jun 24, 2020

4. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jun 25, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jun 25, 2020 :
    There needs to be a manual/auto toggle similar to the flash

5. j_dee_m
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2020

6. mohitcreative89
    Cupcake Jul 21, 2020

mohitcreative89 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 21, 2020 :
    Even I face that when you click any image or sending image from laptop screen , How to correct that, also even if that goes ok sometimes, if you directly do that on whatsapp it's much worse , No previous OnePlus version had this issue, i used op 5 before that

SplashJones123 likes this.
  7. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 21, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 21, 2020 :
    In recent camera versions it gets disabled it you toggle it on and off. But only until the next time you launch the camera

8. j_dee_m
    Cupcake Jul 22, 2020

j_dee_m , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 22, 2020 :
    Up until the newest OS update, it was perfect. You had to manually toggle Macro mode. Now, getting remotely close to anything automatically toggles it on. Even AFTER turning it off, a few seconds later it toggles back on. Just today I tried to take a picture of a business card from a little further than a foot away. Kept on toggling Macro mode. Really hoping it gets resolved.

"Don't fix something if it's ain't broken"

I wonder who asked for the feature

9. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 23, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 23, 2020 :
    I had it autoswitching on previous firmware too (10.5.10 EU now). The optimal would be a 3 step toggle. Auto, On, Off. Just like a flash

j_dee_m likes this.
  10. esowdenguzman
    Cupcake Mar 8, 2021

esowdenguzman , Mar 8, 2021 :
    For anyone still wondering, the camera settings in OOS 10.4.4.IN11AA (im on international unlocked variant) now have and Auto Macro toggle in the settings 🥳

11. HillyvD
    Donut Jun 17, 2021

HillyvD , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 17, 2021 :
    Hi,
    I have the problem that it won't come out of the macro function. So when I start the app it is blurry. Using the wide function or the zoom function I have a clear picture. Bit switching back to the standard view it is blurry again. Also in video function. But when I enable the macro function the image is clear and it looks like it should be. This started when updated to one of the latest version.
    Can anyone relate or know this issue?

Regards, Hilko

13. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Oct 1, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Oct 1, 2021 :
    I assume a strong flash at close proximity may be problematic to handle.
    Good external lightning would render far better results.

14. script
    Moderator Moderator Oct 1, 2021

script , Oct 1, 2021 :
    Exactly. Try to use a second phone for the lightning. With that you can control the light and the direction much better.

On the other hand, it was often asked for a ring light around the macro lens. I still have hopes they'll implement that.