Display OnePlus 8 Pro Display Issue | Black Bar & Burn-in (image retention)

?

How many of you are facing similar display issue/s?

1. Yes, facing similar display issues

92.2%
  2. No, facing no display issues

7.8%
  1. oneplususer1011
    Donut May 3, 2020

oneplususer1011 , May 3, 2020 :
    Bought an OnePlus 8 Pro 4 days ago and I can already see display burn-in and I have a black bar running across my screen originating from the camera hole:

Black Bar Issue:
    [​IMG]

Burn-in Issue: (if you look closely towards the right-hand side you can see the wifi and battery symbols burnt-in)
    [​IMG]

This is really disappointing!

Is this a problem with all OP8 pro devices? or it there a specific batch with these issues?
    What should I do; replace it or get a refund?

Attached Files:

2. ChandlerDrummond
    Froyo May 3, 2020

Attached Files:

Anoop_rddy and oneplususer1011 like this.
  3. JetzNicht
    Eclair May 3, 2020

JetzNicht , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 3, 2020 :
    Same here, unfortunately. I'll try to get an replacement as I really like this phone.

It's only visible in darker settings and the burn in seems to fade a little bit over time.

D1588594594668 likes this.
  4. Stefaan
    Gingerbread May 3, 2020

5. jd2016
    Gingerbread May 3, 2020

jd2016 , May 3, 2020 :
    same on my OnePlus 8 . my icons are already burnt into the display . OnePlus don't give a dam so all you can do is return the device asap .

6. oneplususer1011
    Donut May 3, 2020

oneplususer1011 , May 3, 2020 :
    I returned my OnePlus 8 Pro today!

I believe the display problem is there on every device!
    The sad part is that OnePlus hasn't even come out with a proper statement! They are literally trying to fool people!
    Trust me the camera bar issue and image retention is an issue with every unit.

7. oneplususer1011
    Donut May 4, 2020

oneplususer1011 , May 4, 2020 :
    It's just been a few weeks post the launch. Think about how bad the burn in would be post a month or two.

Batfink32 likes this.
  8. hydzior
    Donut May 5, 2020

hydzior , May 5, 2020 :
    its nto a burin in. its something with the camera punchhole. Maybe its assembled to strong and theres to much pressure on the screen. But the strange fact is that on 60hz on my phone this black bar is gone.

9. Sanjhai
    Gingerbread May 5, 2020

Sanjhai , via OnePlus Community App , May 5, 2020 :
    Hi I am planning to buy OnePlus 8 pro, I am India the sale has not yet started here will OnePlus be able to resolve this is before it reaches indian stores ? Should I purchase it on day one because there is some introduction offer ?

10. ChandlerDrummond
    Froyo May 5, 2020

ChandlerDrummond , May 5, 2020 :
    It depends if it is a software or hardware issue. There is a good chance if you buy an early device it may have it. If it’s software, it can be fixed. If it’s hardware, it may not be able to. OnePlus hasn’t come out with an official statement as far as I know, so we just have to wait and see what happens

11. JetzNicht
    Eclair May 6, 2020

JetzNicht , May 6, 2020 :
    The support offered me to replace the device, let´s see what I´ll get...

12. R1588619276906
    Donut May 7, 2020

R1588619276906 , May 7, 2020 :
    I am having the same issues mentioned by pretty much everyone. There is a black/grey bar where the front camera is located, the WiFi, the time, and the battery icons are already burnt in at the top of the screen, and there are screen uniformity issues as well. The last is more visible when the night mode is on. I am aslo having the black crush issues.
    Strangely enough, if I set the screen refresh rate to 60Hz, the black bar covering the area where the front camera is located, is not visible anymore.
    Another thing that I noticed is when I am using an app with a grey background or when I open a grey image in full screen, the color changes when I lower the brightnes. If I set the brightnes at approximately 15%, the gray changes to a red(ish) image. As I mentioned before, this is more visible when the night mode is on.
    I belive that 80% of these issues can be resolved via software update as it is a matter of calibration. But the burn in, and the screen uniformity issues are more likely to be hardware related.
    I confess that I am a bit disappointed after paying over a thousand euros for a device that in the first hours of use is presenting issues already.

Last edited: May 7, 2020

13. _lor
    Donut May 7, 2020

_lor , May 7, 2020 :
    I had the exact same issues with my op8 pro pre-ordered at launch, went for a replacement which came in yesterday, exactly the same issues on the second device. Both image retention and black bar, not mentioning the non-uniform green tints. At this point I can say that getting a replacement seems not to be a way to solve the problem, as I read about so many other people still having the same issues after one or two replacements. Only thing to hope for is the much awaited May update. This is very disappointing and the worst thing is not having any certainty that the issues will ever going to be solved.

pcb2003 and R1588619276906 like this.
  14. pcb2003
    Froyo May 8, 2020

pcb2003 , via OnePlus 5 , May 8, 2020 :
    Had the exact same issue (along with the green tint at lower brightness). Sent the phone back for replacement via RMA a few days ago it arrived at the service centre today. I'm not overly optimistic about what the new one will be like either, from reading what others have experienced with their replacement devices.
    This is definitely not a software issue either, as I also took a screenshot with the phone itself and the bar does not appear.
    View attachment 1301282

15. Natsik
    Eclair May 8, 2020

Natsik , May 8, 2020 :
    I got replacement and they send me new device what have the same issues with display xD soo this is not the way.
    You must wait for update if oneplus can fix it or just send the device for repair if the next update will not fix the problem.
    But i think now you can't do anything just wait or get refund.

Van logan likes this.
  16. pcb2003
    Froyo May 8, 2020

pcb2003 , via OnePlus 5 , May 8, 2020 :
    Yea I've seen many people reporting the same with their replacement devices.
    However if this is fixable via a software update then they wouldn't have given you a replacement device. They would have returned it to you. They must know it is hardware related, it's probably affected a whole batch which is why so many have the issue. It's just luck of the draw if you have one with the issue or not.

I'm very sceptical that this can be fixed, will likely ask for a full refund if issue persists.

17. Natsik
    Eclair May 8, 2020

Natsik , May 8, 2020 :
    I think you can get an exchange at any time in the first 14 days. And they will give it to you. it is the same as if you can return the goods from the e-shop within 14 days without giving a reason.
    So it's actually like you returned the device, got your money back and bought a new one.

18. Icantthinkofaname
    Eclair May 9, 2020

Icantthinkofaname , May 9, 2020 :
    I had the same issue on my OP8 pro, got my replacement today and yet again the same image retention issue, I really hope this is some kind of software flaw or something like that

19. Van logan
    Gingerbread May 10, 2020

Van logan , May 10, 2020 :
    I “guess” OP is using a 90hz panel in 8 pro which is OC at 120hz and this might be causing display malfunctioning. I might be wrong.

kandilidinesh and rumanmujawar like this.
  20. Icantthinkofaname , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 10, 2020 :
    that wouldnt explain why image retention still happens at 60hz