OnePlus 8 Pro on AT&T

1. 09xander90
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2020

09xander90 , Jun 3, 2020 :
    As I sit and wait for the 8 pro to be back in stock so I can purchase the phone I am seeing some things that say that the phone doesn't work with wifi calling and people having issues with the phone in general connecting to the AT&T network. Before I spend $1000 on a phone and find out doesn't work on AT&T i am hoping some can tell me for certain if the phone will work on AT&T.

I don't really care about the 5G aspect right at the moment just want to make sure that when I want to use the phone I can like normal. I need to be able to text, make calls and use data like normal without issue, don't want to get it and have a $1000 paperweight because it wont connect to the network when I need it to.

might be a stupid question but just want to know for certain before I spend all that money because if it doesn't work I will unfortunately be going back to a samsung.

J1601500198193, the_derek and SiggyT like this.
  2. TempusThales
    Eclair Jun 3, 2020

Mike_Jiang, IgorT76 and Tee00max like this.
  3. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 3, 2020

Kdathe and 09xander90 like this.
  4. Skyler_Blair
    Cupcake Jun 17, 2020

Skyler_Blair , Jun 17, 2020 :
    I bought the OnePlus 8 Pro unlocked IN2025 and I'm on AT&T Prepaid and I can't get the phone to connect to 4G LTE. It's stuck on HSPA+ and if I hear one more person say "umm well that's actually 3G and it's fast enough" your wrong. I'm paying for 4G LTE, I should be getting it like on my OP 7 Pro. My speeds are about 10mbs down when on my 4G LTE 7 Pro downloads are literally 98mbs down. This is infuriating as AT&T is useless as they say "everything looks fine on your account, everything's turned on", and OnePlus doesn't seem to care that multiple people are having the same issue. This is so disappointing as this is their most expensive phone and as a OnePlus diehard fan this is turning me away from the brand as a whole.

ldbrown01 and F1Rumors like this.
  5. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 17, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , Jun 17, 2020 :
    I get LTE from ATT (postpaid). I do notice more HSPA hand offs that I'd like, though. I'd troubleshoot with ATT before you blame oneplus.

6. Skyler_Blair
    Cupcake Jun 17, 2020

Skyler_Blair , Jun 17, 2020 :
    I have. I spent 4 hours in 2 stores and about 3 hours on the phone with AT&T. Ive reached out to OnePlus with no avail.

7. JustASoftwareEngineer

It could still be ATT's fault. ATT doesn't support devices they didn't officially approve, so... they might be failing to access the proper articles to help you as your phone model isn't in their system.

I'd try finding a different phone, to borrow, that has the same antennas as the OP8 Pro, and see if you can get it to connect to LTE. If not, DM me, I'd be more than willing to help you troubleshoot this to the best of my ability.

I am similarly frustrated as the OP8 Pro has the band required to receive ATT's 5Ge signal, yet there is no documented way to make it work.

Kdathe likes this.
  8. Bossman16
    Eclair Jun 17, 2020

Bossman16 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 17, 2020 :
    I have zero issues with 8 pro and ATT OnePlus needs to fix their end with connection speed and other things (optimizations) but other than that no issues here. I dont have WiFi calling and texting thats a ATT issue not a OnePlus issue.

Kdathe likes this.
  9. JustASoftwareEngineer

I gotta disagree with you there.

It is an AT&T issue, sure. But, absolving OnePlus of any blame is a bit weird. Don't you think OnePlus has some responsibility to attempt to lobby and interface with AT&T to coordinate the availability of these features? Especially when a lot of it is dependent on the configuration files that're populated by AT&T in the phone, and can be manually enabled with QPST if you know what you're doing (which I don't)..

@Pete Please get AT&T to deliver the full experience to OnePlus customers, even if you guys don't have a partnership like you do with T-Mobile (thus Sprint), and Verizon.

jeslp513 and Kdathe like this.
  10. Bossman16
    Eclair Jun 17, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer

I gotta disagree with you there.

It is an AT&T issue, sure. But, absolving OnePlus of any blame is a bit weird. Don't you think OnePlus has some responsibility to attempt to lobby and interface with AT&T to coordinate the availability of these features? Especially when a lot of it is dependent on the configuration files that're populated by AT&T in the phone, and can be manually enabled with QPST if you know what you're doing (which I don't)..

@Pete Please get AT&T to deliver the full experience to OnePlus customers, even if you guys don't have a partnership like you do with T-Mobile (thus Sprint), and Verizon.​

Idk i have had a OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 7 pro and don't have the same issues I do with the 8 pro. It might be a ATT thing but OnePlus can optimize the network and make the connection better with each update its slowly but surely getting better although its no where near as good as it could be.

11. JustASoftwareEngineer

We are deprived from 5Ge signal, despite our phones being capable of connecting to the band.. because AT&T doesn't push configurations (whitelist based) to the OP8Pro...

This is AT&T's responsibility to fix, but considering OnePlus created the product, it's OnePlus's responsibility to interface with their internal contacts at ATT to fix it.

F1Rumors and Kdathe like this.
  12. Bossman16
    Eclair Jun 17, 2020

5Ge and LTE are basically the same thing my dad has AT&T and an iPhone X and has 5Ge and I had my 7 pro the speeds were the exact same when doing a speed test. Even if they are different you'll never notice the speed difference just more letters to take up the staus bar. But yes ATT needs to get on board with partners like TMobile I want WiFi calling and texting. But TMobile don't work where I live so....

Kdathe likes this.
  13. JustASoftwareEngineer

Hmm. I never did speedtests to check, but I felt 5Ge performed much better than regular LTE (though you're absolutely right, they aren't much different technologies) on my Samsung Galaxy S9+.

On my OnePlus 8 Pro, I notice in a lot of places I'd normally have LTE or 5Ge on my Samsung Galaxy S9+, I now get a slimmer signal of LTE, or HSPA+.

14. Bossman16
    Eclair Jun 17, 2020

Yeah I have areas that are similar on my 6 and 7 pro I'd get 1 or 2 bars and its 3g speeds but when i go through that area with my 8 pro its full service and its slower than dial up and disconnects all the time and states "no internet" but it shows full lte which should be a optimization issue with OnePlus and ATT but every update its gotten better though that area.

Kdathe likes this.
  15. the_derek , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jun 18, 2020 :
    I figured it was common knowledge that AT&T hasn't whitelisted the 8 Pro for 5G yet... I created a post in their forums to see if I get any responses, but also if anyone doesn't know or pay attention we still don't have Voice-over-WiFi from AT&T. It wasn't until I got our OnePlus 7 Pro's (I skipped the 6T) that we even had VoLTE on AT&T.

F1Rumors and Kdathe like this.
  16. MENINBLK
    Gingerbread Jan 18, 2021

MENINBLK , Jan 18, 2021 :
    I know this is an old post but my OnePlus 8 Pro is on an AT&T unlimited elite plan and I have excellent LTE+ access and VoLTE calling as well.
    I do not have 5G yet.

Pete...

scassatt likes this.
  17. ChadStiemke
    Cupcake Feb 27, 2021

ChadStiemke , Feb 27, 2021 :
    And how about Wifi Calling and/or Text?

18. MENINBLK
    Gingerbread Feb 27, 2021

grubby gus likes this.
  19. grubby gus
    Cupcake Mar 7, 2021

grubby gus , Mar 7, 2021 :
    I just read through this link and now I'm more nervous about moving to the OnePlus 8 Pro. I currently have a OP5 with an ATT sim and a T-Moblie sim., ATT is personal T-Mobile is work. I recently upgraded through ATT to the Samsung s21+ 5G with a trade-in of my OP5. I was using the S21+ for week trying to get the sim card situation solved. Although it says it a dual sim one sim is an esim. I wanted ATT on the esim and T-Mobile on the physical sim I was told at the ATT store that since the phone is not paid off the phone is locked and I can't use the T-Mobile sim. I returned the phone and am back at plan B, which should have been plan A, upgrading to a OnePlus 8 Pro or 8T. But, if they're working 100% on ATT I'm not so sure. My One Plus 5 works fine on ATT and T-Mobile but its not a 5G phone. Looks like I buy the S21+ or stick it out a little longer with the OP5.