OnePlus 8 Pro Standby time

1. Cheezburgers
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2020

Cheezburgers , Aug 12, 2020 :
    So im aware theres a lot of people complaining about battery issues, but for me i feel like standby time has been awful. I drop like 1% a night when asleep. Anybody else notice the same?

2. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 12, 2020

pgrey , Aug 12, 2020 :
    If I leave the 5G radio on, yep, just about that (my house is in range-ish of a 5G tower, but the actual signal is almost always near zero - in the -120 to -125 dBm range).
    If I flip over to <=4G, at home, I get numbers/drain that's closer to my previous 7 Pro...

It's dumb, the aggregated signal stuff needs a lot of work (I've filed a couple of bugs so far on this alone), perhaps both from OP, and the carrier(s), it's a long road to "real, usable 5G"...
    But it "is what it is", for now, one can only hope that in say 6 months, things will be better (or perhaps not any worse ;-]).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

3. Cheezburgers
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2020

Cheezburgers , Aug 12, 2020 :
    when you say you leave 5G on, do you mean you keep mobile data on overnight, or that the phone has connection to the network and in settings its set to 3G/4G/5G?

4. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 12, 2020

pgrey , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Correct, mobile-data on, and the 3G/4G/5G is enabled, the aggregation (theoretically mitigated by the Smart-5G Setting) seems to be constantly pinging the 5G tower, barely.
    If I switch to 2G/3G/4G only, the performance is similar to my OP7 Pro.
    The aggregation, even in <= 4G seems to be less-than-optimal, at this point, as you'd expect it to actually *have less overall drain than the 7 Pro*, given that the newer chipset is more efficient, and the battery is almost 15% larger.

5. Cheezburgers
    Gingerbread Aug 13, 2020

Cheezburgers , Aug 13, 2020 :
    thanks for the response, will try this myself