OnePlus 8 Pro Users - Vote for Photochrom Filter to work like Original

?

Do you want Photochrom Feature Like original ?

1. YES

95.2%
  2. NO

2.3%
  3. I am happy without of it

2.6%
  1. Jeenavi
    Donut Oct 16, 2020

StrangerSoul and tststs like this.
  2. Nickelbee
    Cupcake Oct 16, 2020

AceBurn90, mstrojek and StrangerSoul like this.
  3. DamnDev
    Cupcake Oct 23, 2020

DamnDev , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Oct 23, 2020 :
    Man I literally paid 63K for OnePlus 8 Pro (3K more as the device was not available online and had to bought it offline) and I was a Big Fan of OnePlus but as we know it China will be China same at boundaries and same in services
    This was my 2nd OnePlus device but now it's my final Device from OnePlus
    Gosh why didn't I followed Ban china motive I wouldn't have got into this trap...
    Conclusion
    I paid 13K more for OnePlus 8 Fcukkkkkkk
    It would have been better to donate my money in covid 19 solutions which too was spread by CHINA .........

4. AceBurn90
    Cupcake Oct 24, 2020

AceBurn90 , Oct 24, 2020 :
    I bought the OnePlus 8 Pro just because of this cam. My previous smartphone was a OP6. I was absolutely satisfied with it. I even loved it.
    Now I am paying a monthly fee for a phone I dosn't need. I can't even use 5G because germany is a shithole where the mobile internet infrastructure is so bad, the providers just started with 5G in a couple of big cities. Even in 2 years 5G will not be available everywhere. Even now 4G is strugeling for availability in a lot of regions. If you travel by train you have always problems with the Internet here in "bad old germany".

What I want to say is: OnePlus, please, PLEASE bring the original photochrom filter camera back I payed for. If nothing will change, this will be the last time I bought one of your products.

I wrote an Email about two months ago that was never answered... Thanks OnePlus...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020

sektor710 likes this.
  5. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Oct 24, 2020 :
    If you don't mind.... What is your use of photochrom? The photos themself don't mean much to me. I have some limited use of it at work where I can see IR light. But that is about it. More of a cool toy to see practically see though Coke bottles and stuff.

I can still access it via adb here on beta 2... But I haven't really used it other than for these kind of discussion about the camera.

6. AceBurn90
    Cupcake Oct 25, 2020

AceBurn90 , Oct 25, 2020 :
    I've been a hobby photographer with my DSLR for almost 3 years now and came across IR photography at the beginning of the year. In an imageboard community where I'm on the road a lot, a person who takes a lot of IR pictures himself explained to me how to take such pictures himself.
    The method he explained to me is that you have to disassemble and modify your DSLR. Of course I didn't want to do this with my camera, because I paid a lot of money for the camera and afterwards you can't use it for normal photography anymore and I don't have a replacement. So I let my interest slip for a few months until finally the OnePlus 8 Pro was released. I immediately thought that I must have this smartphone because I was already a fan of the OP6 and the timing was perfect for me. In retrospect it was more worthwhile to buy a second camera and use the old one for the conversion.

If the filter should ever work again, I would take pictures like this one to get first experiences. Sooner or later I will buy a separate camera for IR to take pictures in HQ because the 5 MP camera of the filter can not take sharp pictures.

https://www.matthiashaltenhof.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/waving-tree.jpg

I know that you can still use the filter in the Android Beta 2 or 4 with ADB commands. Sooner or later OnePlus will fix this anyway, that it is not worth it for me. I prefer to stay with the stable version until the 11 update is available.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  7. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Oct 25, 2020 :
    Great reply. Too bad the reactions of this became so bad. Blown up and over exaggerated as most often these days... It was rather pointless to discuss anything with those that complained over the "terrible x-ray". They already had set up their mind and ignored all info and logic. Their feelings and safe-spaces needs to be respected you know... 😉

This is a far too common trend everywhere. While I think it was bad that it was remade to silence the complaints I can also see why they did it.

mstrojek and AceBurn90 like this.
  8. Adj0
    Cupcake Nov 1, 2020

StrangerSoul likes this.
  9. AndyThompson83
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2020

AndyThompson83 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 19, 2020 :
    My OP8 is it 1 day old got to play with the camera yesterday and thought photochrom was cool. Firmware updated over night and it's now gone 😭
    Shame I didn't see this before I updated or I would of held off losing one of the best cam features on this handset. Hey @OnePlus bring it back come on 🙏

StrangerSoul likes this.
  10. cvora79
    Froyo Nov 23, 2020 at 3:44 AM

cvora79 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 23, 2020 at 3:44 AM :
    Scammers. I post on reddit and on different forums telling people to avoid Oneplus as they sell something that not work as described. I dont use photocrom camera, but i feel scammed to pay for something that i cannot use. This manufacturer should bankrupt, and i really hope it will. Im using Oneplus 8 pro cause i paid for it, and manufacturer already took my money, so no point of selling it, but will never ever buy another product from Oneplus. Will stick to Xiaomi and Samsung for the future.
    People should punish such behavior by not buying their products. I know people will buy it in future, but i, little man will not give them 1 more dollar.

I1572052715870 likes this.
  11. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Nov 23, 2020 at 5:47 AM

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Nov 23, 2020 at 5:47 AM :
    The reactions pretty much makes it certain that no future phone will have such a lens. And the photochrom filter will never again be made solely on a hardware level like original. The remake and disable of the orginal version and making the lens a brightness sensor and use the main lens for the actual photo was damage control.
    To me this is much less concerning than for example the Note 7 fiasco and recall.
    So what is the solution? I never saw the danger of the lens. I tried to discuss this and and some cases was hopeless... People even seemed to believe faked "proof" and screamed ban/boycott like maniacs with no logical thinking and common sense.
    So what was Oneplus supposed to do? Talk sense to the people that clearly lacked it?
    I don't really like the solution either... But what was the alternative? Waiting for nutcases to try to sue Oneplus due to privacy concerns?
    Sure... You payed for the lens. But you really think the cost is a huge part? Many even complained and called the lens gimmicky and just added with for the lens count... And when "disabled" it turned out to be a critical factor and the main reason for buying the phone and similar....

Viraj Pnvs likes this.
  12. Viraj Pnvs
    Gingerbread Nov 23, 2020 at 6:01 AM

Viraj Pnvs , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 23, 2020 at 6:01 AM :
    I see the adjustment to be pale, but not bad.. I still like the shades.. but can't use it indoor/low light which is still a prblm.. I really wish they remove the adjustment and provide original with new options too..

13. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Nov 23, 2020 at 7:21 AM

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Nov 23, 2020 at 7:21 AM :
    There is a walkaround. Try it if it still works. Google "adb photochrom".
    I have some limited use of it's IR detection and see though effects at work. Other than that I don't really care much about the effect in itself.

14. Viraj Pnvs
    Gingerbread Nov 23, 2020 at 7:30 AM

Viraj Pnvs , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 23, 2020 at 7:30 AM :
    In the past it used to work... Later they removed even the adb photochrom.. they might have locked it or something.. now we can't access it through adb also

15. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Nov 23, 2020 at 8:12 AM

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Nov 23, 2020 at 8:12 AM :
    I've tried it a few times in beta. Works there atleast. Not sure about beta 4 though.

16. mstrojek
    Eclair Nov 23, 2020 at 10:07 AM

17. clemyjoy
    Cupcake Nov 23, 2020 at 5:32 PM

18. tiberovo
    Froyo Nov 23, 2020 at 10:09 PM

tiberovo , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 23, 2020 at 10:09 PM :
    Being able to use photochromic with infrared, they won't do it anymore for the reason we all know. Another way would be to find another utility for this infrared. But I don't think they'll develop anything for the oneplus 8 pro alone ... So that's it.

19. Viraj Pnvs
    Gingerbread Nov 24, 2020 at 8:13 AM

20. cvora79
    Froyo Nov 24, 2020 at 12:21 PM

cvora79 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 24, 2020 at 12:21 PM :
    Imagine you bought a car with some gimmick, and after some time guy from company visit you and take that gimmick part from your vehicle. Would you be mad, even if you do not using it?