OnePlus 8 Pro Users - Vote for Photochrom Filter to work like Original

?

Do you want Photochrom Feature Like original ?

1. YES

95.3%
  2. NO

2.2%
  3. I am happy without of it

2.5%
  1. sonnettie
    Froyo Jul 15, 2020

sonnettie , Jul 15, 2020 :
    Yeah true, I want to be the one to choose if I want to use it , I shouldn't be paying for a feature, then, when I get the phone not to have it and to be paying for an extra lump of plastic, extra weight and possibly battery usage of a unused part on the phone that has no use. Just unbelievable, guess it's of to XDA to flash the feature back in then 😉😜🤣😂🤪😎👺💡💡💡

Coled3 and Dave8pro like this.
  2. PlusUn
    Froyo Jul 16, 2020

PlusUn , Jul 16, 2020 :
    So basically, we've got a premium phone:

- with screen issues (bad calibration, black crush, shitty bar at the top, burn in, yellow/green/red tint)
    - brightness not as advertised (the range has been changed to avoid showing too much of the screens' issues, goodbye low brightness for reading in a dark room & goodbye max brightness for reading outside)
    - with dual sim problems in the US (?)
    - with heating problems
    - with some update able to disable L1 (hopefully it won't happen again)
    - having difficulty with the activation of some bands/5G
    - having some problems with wireless headsets
    - having an useless lens for most such as photochrom

And thanks to that:
    - having to bear seeing this lens disabled and being lied to and taken for an imbecile
    - feeling disappointed and distrustful about oneplus' next update

what did I miss?

Oh yes, we also have some basic lack of features:
    - no immersive mode/fullscreen on most app, (and no possibility to disregard the notch on netflix/amazon)
    - still no AOD
    - no led notifications
    - horizon light need improvement/customization etc
    - edges on this screen are basically useless, no customization, no functionality
    - no toggle (dark mode, QHD, 120Hz)
    - no 90Hz options
    - camera has improved, but sometimes you feel like moving definitively to Gcam

I have to thank oneplus for this mess, thanks to that I was able to buy an almost unused device at a great bargain, due to my friend being completely fed up with it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

3. Avishek2882
    Froyo Jul 16, 2020

Avishek2882 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    oneplus must see this thread and people's votes but all those scam staffs will not respond anymore and they only knows to cheat people's hard income.
    Best option keep message everywhere on twitter, Instagram and Facebook to not buy more oneplus devices.
    There is nothing interesting in the phone and on such a big price segment 12 gb ram we will get a better camera even in other phones.
    On the other hand, I noticed something simply download oneplus care app from playstore and after you open diagnosis your device in custom mode and check for the ram you will see only 6.3 GB free ram available for use out of 12gb,
    It means overall phone continuously occupies 7 gb of ram capacity on device.
    However, I am using apps hibernator which stops all my background apps which are running even most of the sytem apps and after that only 6gb free, you guys check the same and let me know how much shows.
    [​IMG]
    I did not found any option to free up ram and boast it , but in settings RAM boaster tick mark is also turned on and that also does not affects as much.
    Please provide your suggestion and reviews.

Attached Files:

Coled3 likes this.
  4. sonnettie
    Froyo Jul 16, 2020

sonnettie , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Ok I just saw I'm still on ROM v10.5.9IN11AB in the UK model IN2023 (thankfully the model without red calibration issues or top bar ghost) and had a look at my Photochrom camera.

Now I haven't done any research or googling on this filter/camera but common sense tells me that the way this works seems to be...

instead of the full colour spectrum reflecting off a surface into the camera , the only light this lens receives from the reflection is IR (Infra Red) or a combination of both. This explains the "x-ray" vision phenomenon, which really is just the fact that Infra red light shines through some colours like there transparent. For example, in TV remotes, the cover over the IR LED looks black to us (as we're IR colour blind) but IR light shines right through it, just as white light shines through ltransparent plastic.

Which brings me to the point of "but perverts can see through people's clothes coz you can see through thin plastic". This is wrong on so many levels first it doesn't matter how thick the plastic is, as I said earlier, it's the fact the material is IR light transparent, so no matter if it's a foot thick you'll still see through it and if it's a 10th of a mil thick plastic and it's not IR transparent you won't see nothing as the IR light will reflect, not pass through.

So as far as I know, there is no IR transparent clothes or even soft fabric type material used for making clothes? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also the fact that someone supposedly managed to see a "black iPhone box outline through a thin white top pressed tightly against it" has nothing to do with the IR camera, and more to do with the fact it was a "thin white" top and a "black" box, this effect can be seen even better through filters downloadable from the play store, i.e contrast filter and the negative filter used on traffic cams to see license plates clearer.

I hope this helps clear this childish nonsense up and helps get OnePlus to give us back the use of a now decommissioned piece of hardware lumped on the back of our phone that we can no longer use but have to deal with the space and aestheticness is still uses.
    And having the camera as an "on/off" sensor for a basic software effect is just not the same or good enough.

Thanks for reading.

Coled3, CrCross, Dave8pro and 2 others like this.
  5. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 16, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Very extreme cases. High contrast situations. Very specific fabrics. And you could potentially see something... Not that very different from the things you already see naturally every now and then due to thin cloths. The people that screamed ban/boycott due to the filter must be busy trying to ban good eyesight during the summer too 😋

Dave8pro and sonnettie like this.

Coled3 and S1592701919815 like this.
  7. Avishek2882
    Froyo Jul 17, 2020

8. everkurt
    Honeycomb Jul 17, 2020

9. S1592697441346 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 17, 2020 :
    first and last time buying a OnePlus. feel ripped off completely with the photochrom. was such a cool feature. I was digging it. then had more issues with this phone with Bluetooth and connectivity than all my other phones combined. MMS messages all screwed up where I have to click the message to download. wtf. never had to do that before. plus this photochrom fiasco. no thanks. will take my business elsewhere. back to Samsung I go.

Coled3 likes this.
  10. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 17, 2020

11. Dave8pro
    Eclair Jul 17, 2020

12. Avishek2882
    Froyo Jul 17, 2020

Avishek2882 , Jul 17, 2020 :
    anyone tried this.

Ulysse63 likes this.
  13. Swejuggalo

14. mojoyoyo77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jul 17, 2020

mojoyoyo77 , Jul 17, 2020 :
    This method should work fine, although it has to start from 0, you will lose all data by degrading. You need to back up your data and settings, just in case the files too.
    Then, to keep the camera, you can no longer update OxygenOS to maintain that version, which I assume will be the version prior to the last change.
    I'm still waiting for OnePlus to reconsider and return the camera to us, I couldn't understand they didn't.

Ulysse63 and fragargon like this.
  15. Am_Vks
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2020

Am_Vks , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Tried the filter thanks to XDA post through adb. Finally could use fourth camera. Should check it's working on day light. Currently no x-ray vision found even through my thinnest fabric
    1595006017072.jpg

16. Avishek2882
    Froyo Jul 17, 2020

Avishek2882 , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Guys try this method 100% works !!

But photo quality is not good let me see this in morning how it works.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  17. Swejuggalo

18. Dave8pro
    Eclair Jul 17, 2020

Dave8pro , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Enable a camera factory mode for testing all the cameras, and you can take some fun with the fourth camera, it's a limited mode, so no full screen photos, but can record IR videos, the way it's not very practical, but it's a little workaround you can do with Termux and ADB.

19. Am_Vks
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2020

Am_Vks , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 17, 2020 :
    It's factory camera mode. Basically a small work around. It is written by a XDA developer on how to do it with simple ADB. Can get photochrome through 4th camera only, but I don't think it has good stability on focusing. Apart from that, have to test the quality under sunlight and dept of it

20. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Got it working. Only problem left is to launch it via adb on the device