OnePlus 8 Series - Design and Aesthetics

1. Schafer
    US Brand Ambassador Apr 30, 2020

Schafer , Apr 30, 2020 :
    Design and Aesthetics.png

Hey everyone! We are Schafer (@Schafer) and Kenny (@KeBlam ); two Community Brand Ambassadors. Today we are going to share our opinions over the Oneplus 8 and 8 Pros Design and Aesthetics to give a glimpse of what we think about it. Let us know in the comments below what you think about the Oneplus 8 Series and what your first impressions were when you saw it!

Oneplus 8

Display

The Oneplus 8 packs a really sharp 6.55-inch display that looks and feels really nice in the hand. I am coming from the Oneplus 7 Pro, one of my favorite phones since the Oneplus One, mostly due to its QHD+ panel. I was a little skeptical at first about the OnePlus 8's 1080p display, but even with the two phones side by side, 7 Pro and 8, I found it difficult to see which one is better. Honestly, now that I have been daily driving the 8 for a little while now, I like it so much more. With the slightly lower resolution screen, my battery lasts more than a full day, even with me using it all the time throughout the day. While it might not generate consensus, I like the change to a hole-punch camera as I no longer have to hear the pop-up mechanism every time I switch the camera on. Now, a white ring lights up around the camera every time it's being used – a basic feature but I very much like it. Lastly, the new live wallpapers have been are a small touch that helps take the experience to another level. Every swipe leads to a unique animation rather than cycling through predetermined animations as before.

DSC_3879-01.jpeg
    Photo Credit: @Lil_jack_

Design/Appearance

The Oneplus 8 is a beautiful phone that is super slim, tall, and lightweight in the hands. One of the first things I soon realized was how light it was to hold. It is definitely the lightest and most powerful smartphone that I have held, even with a bigger battery than its predecessor. For reference, in hand, it feels as light as a Oneplus 5, while giving it a completely different experience because it’s faster and there is a considerable screen difference. I also found it easy to single hand this device – my hands are medium to big, but due to its lightweight and slightly less width, I was easily able to reach most of the screen without any problems.
    What you may also notice is that the fingerprint scanner is higher up in the screen making it easier to reach your entire finger onto it when you are just using one hand. Sometimes with my 7 Pro, I struggled to bend my thumb down far enough to reach the sensor because it was a little too low. Another design aspect of the Oneplus 8 that I am fascinated about is the colors of this year’s lineup. I have the Interstellar Glow which is an absolute stunner. The change of color at every angle is something I haven’t experienced yet with a smartphone. I have always had black, gray, or blue which is fine but a little plain to me. With that being said I am curious what you all think of these colors, which one is your favorite and what you would like to see in a phone?

DSC_3918-01.jpeg
    Photo Credit: @Lil_jack_

Oneplus 8 Pro

Display

Hey everyone! This is Kenny here! After having the OnePlus 8 Pro in my hands for quite some time now, I’m rather excited to share my findings! Coming from the OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue, the OnePlus 8 Pro is definitely a massive step up! We’re talking about 6.78-inch display, 1440 x 3168 QHD+, 513 ppi, and 19.8:9. Again, that’s 19.8:9, meaning that literally more than double the width! Although the 7T sports 6.55-inch screen and a 20:9 aspect ratio, the curved edges of the 8 Pros 120 Hz screen gives this all the more reason to upgrade. And while I have told myself that 0.2 inches doesn’t matter as much, in this case, it makes all the difference!

The moment I received the OnePlus 8 Pro and opened the box, I immediately felt that this was the beginning to a new adventure. I noticed that the 8 Pro is slightly taller than the 7T. In addition, that beautiful, vibrant screen made it hard to resist watching videos and playing games. I imported my apps and games over just to play. The premium Dual Dolby Atmos speakers with Audio 3D made my video viewing and game playing experience unbelievable. I can tell you all about the display, but of course, you can’t simply see how beautiful it is just by watching a video, you have to see it in person!

DSC04598.JPG
    Photo Credit: @KeBlam

Design/ Performance

Besides the stunning 6.78-inch curved display, there are 3 different color options for the 8 Pro. Glacial Green, which is not to be confused with 7T’s Glacial Blue, Ultramarine Blue, and of course, my personal favorite, Onyx Black. Like Schafer, I personally prefer the hole-punch over the 7 Pro’s popup camera, though it does intrigue me that it’s shifted all the way to the left, but it practically becomes invisible after a few hours. Interestingly, the front-facing camera is only 3.8mm in diameter so it’s quite non-intrusive.

What I definitely love about this is the premium finish and, fun fact: the 8 Pro is the first OnePlus phone with an IP rating for both dust and water resistance! The 3.5mm jack has been long gone and there’s only one USB-C port on the base of the phone. In addition, if you don’t feel like charging your phone through a wire, you always have the option of wireless charging! And if you don’t have your wireless charger with you, you can even borrow your friend’s 8 Pro and use the reverse charging feature! (If you haven’t gotten that far yet)

DSC04605.JPG
    Photo Credit: @KeBlam

#Lead with Speed

2. Danny C.
    Froyo Apr 30, 2020

Danny C. , Apr 30, 2020 :
    Love your reviews! Both seem meaningful and full of content, and as the lab thread said, "we value honesty over blind praise." Can't wait to experience the new displays and feels of the phones! I am also coming from the 7 Pro, a stellar device with the best immersive display (in my opinion) of 2019! May all enjoy the newcomers, Never Settle!

3. MKT_IRFAN3735
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2020

ofi90 and Schafer like this.
  4. Schafer
    US Brand Ambassador May 1, 2020

Schafer , via OnePlus 8 , May 1, 2020 :
    Thanks! And the 7 pro is such an amazing phone! The screen is superb, it's a powerhouse, and it has everything you could ever need

5. Schafer

It is definitely the coolest color I've ever seen in a phone

Q1572606834144 likes this.
  6. meatandy
    Oreo May 1, 2020

7. Saliou
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 1, 2020

Saliou , via OnePlus 5T , May 1, 2020 :
    The OnePlus 8 is well designed

But at this price we should have QHD like the 7 Pro

Although hope that prices will be revised if we see the current economic situation

ron_R, yshpll, Nobu01 and 1 other person like this.
  8. anupmehra
    Honeycomb May 1, 2020

9. rajatkapoorrk
    Froyo May 1, 2020

rajatkapoorrk , May 1, 2020 :
    Design and Aesthetic wise I guess the
    CAMERA BUMP which is significantly more in OnePlus 8 Pro is of concern as no one wants their phone camera to be that much exposed and also much of the weight will rest upon that camera's protective glass.
    However, by using protective case we can fill up the gap in OnePlus 8 but OnePlus 8 Pro's camera bump will still be there even after using case.
    Rest credit should be given where it's due and I really appreciate the overall design and engineering work done by design team and replacement of punch hole camera instead of motorised pop up camera.
    The list can go on for the new blissful design

Schafer likes this.
  10. Nobu01
    Gingerbread May 1, 2020

Nobu01 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , May 1, 2020 :
    Foul i prefer by far the series of 7/T Pro design, even worse in France we have no more color Ultramarine and we are only entitled to black but suddenly has only 8/128GB(Well done Oneplus, the only one of the Pro variant that does not have 256GB of storage !) in storage and Hollywood Mint Chewing Gum is really ugly.

I say what i think, i'm not there caressing them in the direction of the hair.

• Oneplus 8 Pro Black (don't know why the spec storage is under the color of Chewing-gum)

• Oneplus 8 Pro Hollywood Chewing-gum (not out of stock)

• Oneplus 8 Pro Ultramarine (Out of stock)

Finally we have either the discount black version and the Hollywood chewing gum version, sad ...

11. rajatkapoorrk
    Froyo May 1, 2020

rajatkapoorrk , May 1, 2020 :
    Keeping aside the model availability and Color options.
    Design and Aesthetic comes to one's personal preference. If you like Oneplus 7T's design more than New OnePlus Series, that's completely justified. Some people might even like OnePlus 5 & 6 design more than the newly launched one.
    I hope you will get your Favourite OnePlus model Soon [e]2764[/e]️

Nobu01 likes this.
  12. Nobu01
    Gingerbread May 1, 2020

Nobu01 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , May 1, 2020 :

rajatkapoorrk

Keeping aside the model availability and Color options.
    Design and Aesthetic comes to one's personal preference. If you like Oneplus 7T's design more than New OnePlus Series, that's completely justified. Some people might even like OnePlus 5 & 6 design more than the newly launched one.
    I hope you will get your Favourite OnePlus model Soon [e]2764[/e]️​

Thanks dude !

Oneplus 8T Pro Onyx Black with popup camera and 12/256Go

Oneplus 8T Pro Ultramarine with popup camera and 12/256Go

Saliou and Schafer like this.
  14. Konstantinos R.
    Donut May 1, 2020

Konstantinos R. , May 1, 2020 :
    Interstellar Glow is the best colour in the world right now. OnePlus 8 Pro should also have that colour variation. The only thing that bothers me in the 8 series is the fact that Oneplus used punch hole and ditched the idea of a seamless screen without punch holes and notches. The other thing of course is that the 8 Pro hasn't got the Interstellar Glow colour variation. Imagine that I recently bought the 7 Pro in Almond colour variation because of those two factors. . .

UncleCupCake, Kunu7 and Schafer like this.
  15. surendra91
    Honeycomb May 1, 2020

16. Aadeshc
    Honeycomb May 1, 2020

F1586916772079 and Schafer like this.

Schafer likes this.
  18. Schafer

both are beautiful colors, but I believe the only major difference other than the color is the glacier green has a matte glass finish

UncleCupCake and Saliou like this.
  19. Aathif_Mahir
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 1, 2020

L1537695381144 likes this.
  20. nmatheis

nmatheis , May 1, 2020 :
    I usually choose the black or charcoal version plus a black case, but this time I got Interstellar Glow plus a clear case so I can admire the beautiful finish while giving the phone some protection from scratches and drops. The only thing I would've done differently if I were OnePlus is to make Interstellar Glow in a matte glass finish, which would've provided more grip and collected fewer fingerprints.

And great post @KeBlam & @Schafer!

KeBlam and Schafer like this.