OnePlus 8 Series — Speed & Performance

1. KeBlam
    US Brand Ambassador May 7, 2020

KeBlam , May 7, 2020 :
    Speed and Performance.png

Hey everyone! We are Schafer (@Schafer) and Kenny (@KeBlam); two Community Brand Ambassadors. Today we are going to share our opinions as well as some tips over the Oneplus 8 and 8 Pro's Speed and Performance. Let us know your thoughts about it in the comments below!

OnePlus 8

Speed
    The OnePlus 8 is a very fast phone and is equipped with the top of the line Snapdragon 865 mobile platform. In hand, I can see a noticeable difference between the average 60Hz display and the 8’s 90 Hz. This simple change can make a world of difference in how fast a phone feels. So when I am quickly scrolling through Instagram or my google news I truly get to see how fast and smooth the Oneplus 8 is.
    It is very snappy and can be customized to feel even faster with just a few simple changes. Something just as simple as shortening the animation speed can cut the animations between apps in half making your device feel exponentially faster. That is something I do across all of my devices and to do that is very easy. You’ll have to already be in developer mode, to enable that all you have to do is go to about phone and rapidly click “Build number.” Next under System, click “Developer options” then find the “Window animation scale” change it to .5x along with the other two scales below.
    On top of all that, if you are lucky enough to be in a city that offers 5G internet, download and upload speeds will be insanely fast. 5G is said to be 100 times faster than 4G and with my latest internet speed tests, I easily managed to have a speed of around 450 Mbps download and 180 Mbps upload which I think is crazy fast. The fastest I have personally experienced especially with everyone around me being online due to COVID-19. Let me know what kind of internet speeds you all get in the comments below!

Screenshot_20200506-151754.jpg

Performance
    If you are like me and have been on your phone for the entirety of this quarantine, you will have no problems at all with the OnePlus 8. I will message tons of people about school work since I am all online, play a bunch of games (Clash of Clans because that is one of the best games out there), watch YouTube videos, and scroll mindlessly through social media and still have enough battery to get me through most of the day. And even if I do burn through my battery I can quickly charge it up with OnePlus’s insane Warp Charge 30T that you may have seen in a previous OnePlus phone.
    Depending on which device you have it will either come with 8 or 12 gigs of DDR4X RAM. I feel like this is a perfect amount of RAM that basically future proofs your need for a new device down the road. Yes, it may not be as fast as the Pro’s DDR5 RAM, however, it is still very fast and efficient. Overall, the Oneplus 8 is a very fast and powerful phone that has treated me super well since I first received it. For all of the work that I throw at my phone, it tackles it all like it’s nothing.

Snapchat-2007350379.jpg

OnePlus 8 Pro

Speed
    OnePlus, as a company, has consistently been obsessed with speed; pushing speed and smoothness to its utmost limits. The OnePlus 8 Pro is a feature-rich, higher-end phone with excellent performance, that won’t leave you disappointed at all. Equipped with the state-of-the-art Qualcomm Snapdragon 865, the OnePlus 8 Pro’s 120 Hz display has a noticeable difference compared to it’s 7T / 7 Pro predecessors, which have a 90 Hz display, and even a bigger one to a 60 Hz display. In addition, the screen’s also capable of outputting QHD+ content, meaning not only is it fast, but the display is also sharp and crisp.

Although one may ask: “Hey Kenny, with a 120 Hz refresh rate, wouldn’t I have run out of battery in a jiffy?” Well, my response is: the 8 Pro sports a 4,510 mAh battery and lasts for quite a while before you run out! In addition, there’s the Warp Charge 30T, which makes charging your device fairly fast despite having a bigger battery. (as you may have experienced!) There is also the 30W wireless charging feature — a first for a OnePlus phone. Although the wireless charging isn’t as fast, I would say that it is quite convenient and handy! (And, the OnePlus charger comes with a little fan!)

[​IMG]

Performance
    The base model for the OnePlus 8 Pro has 8GB of RAM (LPDDR5) and 128GB of storage, while the fully geared model boasts a whopping 12GB of RAM (LPDDR5) and 256GB of storage. The new LPDDR5 RAM calls for faster speeds with less impact on the battery life. However, despite the 50% RAM question, this really begs the question: how much RAM do you really need? If you’re trying to future-proof yourself and use the phone for the long run: 12GB. If you’re the type to want to try the features that the phone offers like RAM boost, etc., then the 8GB is also an amazing option.

[​IMG]

As for connection speeds, the entire OnePlus 8 family supports full 5G speeds, which, with Verizon’s ultrafast millimeter wave, can surpass 1Gbps in some areas. Imagine being able to stream a full-length movie or download and update PubG in a matter of minutes (that would be phenomenal!) In addition, the OnePlus 8 Pro supports WiFi 6 networking gear, so you will definitely experience notable speed improvements, whether you’re on wifi or your network! Without a doubt, the OnePlus 8 Pro fits the bill rather nicely and pits well against the best the industry has to offer!

Last edited: May 7, 2020

2. ameliatoya
    Cupcake May 9, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  3. nmatheis
    US Brand Ambassador May 9, 2020

nmatheis , May 9, 2020 :
    OP8 has great performance, beating out my OP7 Pro on Geekbench 5 and for battery life!

4. G_plusone
    Nougat May 9, 2020

G_plusone , May 9, 2020 :
    Ofcourse it did ;)
    Smaller screen, Only 1080p, Efficient processor, bigger battery ;)

buntycubal likes this.
  5. nmatheis
    US Brand Ambassador May 9, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  6. Mi@n ashraf
    Cupcake May 10, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  7. G_plusone
    Nougat May 10, 2020

buntycubal likes this.
  8. aris
    Jelly Bean May 10, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  9. nmatheis
    US Brand Ambassador May 10, 2020

nmatheis , via OnePlus Community App , May 10, 2020 :
    What I'd really like to see a phone with no camera bump, just completely flat using the additional internal space for battery. That would let the phone rest flat on surfaces, reduce risk of scratching the camera module, make the phone smoother, and provide additional time between charges.

buntycubal and G_plusone like this.
  10. G_plusone
    Nougat May 10, 2020

G_plusone , May 10, 2020 :
    Yes I would like to see that too
    No camera bumps
    just a flat back
    a little bit thicker phone
    I don't think I can complain about the battery sizes now :D
    Just the High Display refresh rates
    Would not mind a 5000 mAh battery though

buntycubal and nmatheis like this.
  11. nmatheis
    US Brand Ambassador May 10, 2020

nmatheis , via OnePlus Community App , May 10, 2020 :
    TCL just did this with they're upcoming 10 Pro. It lacks flagship specs but has premium looks with flat back. I really like that approach and hope OnePlus will consider going that route in the future...

G_plusone likes this.
  12. Andressinks78
    Cupcake May 11, 2020

Andressinks78 , May 11, 2020 :
    I have the 7 pro on Tmobile which I've loved and was looking forward to the 8 pro but, have to pay full price upfront since it's not being sold through my carrier which makes it a more difficult choice to make.

G_plusone likes this.
  13. nmatheis
    US Brand Ambassador May 11, 2020

nmatheis , via OnePlus Community App , May 11, 2020 :
    If you have to pay full price up front, why not just buy the unlocked version directly from OnePlus?

G_plusone likes this.
  14. Andressinks78
    Cupcake May 11, 2020

Andressinks78 , May 11, 2020 :
    That's what I meant. The only options would be oneplus or Amazon.

G_plusone and nmatheis like this.
  15. G_plusone
    Nougat May 11, 2020

G_plusone , May 11, 2020 :
    Agreed apart from TCL LG and Sony are doing a good job in the flat back aspect too.
    I guess OnePlus phones have needed a Bumper case since OnePlus 3 !
    Maybe time for a design change.
    But sadly the current trend is big ugly rectangular Camera bumps

16. vbas1l
    Gingerbread May 12, 2020

G_plusone and Cheetosdust like this.
  18. E1573359355510
    Cupcake May 19, 2020

19. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 19, 2020

Cheetosdust , May 19, 2020 :
    OnePlus just shared an update about the Color Filter Camera this afternoon. Please do give it a read. ;)

Many congratulations on your brand new device. Learning is part of the fun, but if you have any questions, I'm sure the forums will help you. :cool:

buntycubal and G_plusone like this.