OnePlus 8 Series - Supporting Work and Home

1. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator May 19, 2020

keithnyc , May 19, 2020 :
    Work and home.png

Hey Everyone,

Keithnyc and Andy (aka the Andster in my avatar, as some of you already know….) here. First things first...I hope all you guys and your loved ones are staying happy, healthy and all that good stuff. It’s a difficult time, but we will get through this (and when we do, I’m expecting there to be one, pretty huge, worldwide party).

I wrote an article a while back about how much I truly enjoyed my OnePlus phone, and how it became so enmeshed within both my social life and work life. Having a device which can successfully integrate itself within so many aspects of your life is truly a good thing, especially given what we are all going through right now. Let’s face it, no one wants to complicate things any more than they already are, so we need to work smarter. Now my earlier review was on the OnePlus 7Pro, so a bit of this article is going to be speaking to some of the contrasts between the two. But one thing is certain, the OP8 Pro is shaping up to be a real game changer for me.

One thing that really popped out on the 8Pro is the stunning blue design. Although it lacks that subtle slow-fade-from-blue-to-deep blue that the 7Pro has, the 8Pro’s ultramarine blue now pops. But it’s a soft pop...the finish is silkier, both in appearance and in feel. I keep my phone uncovered (please, no lectures...I may regret this decision), but the new and silky finish now provides a new, really nice grippiness relative to the 7. And there is NO WAY this phone’s beautiful glass back will show fingerprints. Now granted, it could be because I have no more fingerprints from washing my hands so often, but I doubt it. This back just will not show fingerprints...ever.

Now let’s get to those things that really make a difference for me. First off, the display.

Display

The 8Pro comes equipped with a stunning 120Hz display. While I was amazed in the jump from 60 to 90 Hz with the 7Pro, 120Hz is another game changer. A lot of my time now is spent video conferencing, reviewing presentations, spreadsheets, word documents and almost everything else in Adobe. And I’m doing this on my phone, since that’s where I open these attachments. This high refresh rate means there is no perceptible drag when scrolling back and forth between the documents, especially when compared to the 60Hz on my OP7. And the QHD (Quad HD) screen brings a noticeably sharper resolution than the FHD (Full HD) screen. This enhanced resolutions makes small details crisp and sharp, especially when reviewing Microsoft Powerpoint and Google Presentations on the go.

The 8Pro’s 6.78-inch QHD is a full .11inches larger than the 7Pro. Now while that may not seem like a huge difference to many folks, if you use this to view and edit documents (think Adobe, Powerpoint, Word, multi-tabbed spreadsheets etc.), the extra space is a welcome edition. Now I know I will get a lot of flak on this next point, but I actually use a specially designed stylus to take handwritten notes on my 8Pro (shout out to Joe, my geek buddy at work who somehow designed this…). It’s a sheer pleasure on this screen. No more scraps of paper flying around. Woo hoo. And with the enhanced single-hand setting, I can still hold onto the subway bars (of course, maintaining social distancing and wearing gloves….), yet still maneuver through the screen.

CPU, RAM and Storage

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 865 and 12GB RAM combine to make this a true workhorse for me. Again, while I’m definitely not a big gamer (my personal favorites, I Love Hue and Monument Valley are hardly power-hungry games. Please don’t judge me...I need to relax), I do have many heavy-duty work applications all opened at once, and I’m constantly switching between them. I have yet to experience a crash or a freeze between any of these (which includes me being on the phone with my crazy boss while switching between these documents and doing research online). It’s crazy, but it works.

For someone who doesn’t want to carry around lots of hardcopy presentations and a Chromebook, being able to rely on just my phone is a really good thing. And although this isn’t unique to my 8 Pro, being able to easily cast my phone’s screen to our large screen monitors at the office also saves me from having to tote around a separate projector to staff meetings.

One last note on storage….bigger IS better (please, no he said she said jokes……). The 8Pro comes with either 128GB or 256GB. Since storage is relatively fixed (I’m not a big fan of using USB C port storage on a real-time basis…), I opted for the 256GB for my internal storage needs. You see, I’m also shooting huge amounts of video about life in NYC in these strange times. Since Google cloud storage can get to be pretty expensive, I opted not to simply upload all my videos after they are shot each day. I save all my videos each day on internal storage, and then edit through them before storing them offline. Considering that many of my videos are loooooong time-lapse shoots (think beautiful city sunsets), having maximum internal storage for videos, along with all my internally stored music and documents, is important.

Battery and Charging

Let’s face it, the 8Pro’s beautiful screen display, fast refresh rate, powerful CPU requires a lot of power. Thankfully OnePlus upped the 8Pro’s battery from 4,000mAh (in the OP7) to a whopping 4,510mAh. With typical use, I’m able to go all morning and into the afternoon without missing a beat. That means phone calls, emails, texting, accessing Slack, browsing and shooting video. Without a top off, I'm getting at least 8.5 hours of regular usage with power to spare before I top it off for a few minutes (set at 120Hz, with normal usage of the phone, Slack, Messaging, email, WhatsApp and shooting some video). I have yet to use any of the battery optimization settings or reducing the Hz settings.

But even with that much needed, larger battery, I will still always be a huge fan of OnePlus’ Warp charging. It’s been another game changer for me with the way I work and play. I no longer need to charge my phone all night and then worry throughout the day if I’m going to run out of power. With all the customizable battery-saving settings built right into the award-winning Oxygen OS, I simply top off my battery for a few minutes throughout the day. With the 8Pro’s handy Warp charger, I plug it in for a few minutes and I give myself at least another hour or so of power (and yeah, I do chuckle at some of my Apple-devoted my co-workers whose phones are constantly running out of power. Or maybe they are just telling me that in order to end the conversation with me….don’t know, don’t care.

Wireless charging...let’s discuss. Folks that know me personally know that wireless charging is not a big deal for me. I’d rather be able to quick charge using my small and convenient A/C Warp charger any day over a wireless charger. And as Pete said time and time again, he refused to sacrifice the super-fast warp charging for wireless charging if reduced charge speed was going to be a factor. Well this is no longer the case. Through a proprietary design using the OnePlus Wireless charger, 30W fast wireless charging is now a reality. That’s one of the fastest, wireless charging available anywhere. Just slide your phone into the charger, and you get the same rapid charging speed as your A/C Warp charging cousins. And if you want to use a third party’s wireless charger, well go ahead (albeit and a slower charging speed).

Camera

I gotta be honest here. I REALLY do miss the 7Pro's pop-up camera. It wasn't a gimmick to me. It made for a beautifully unobstructed view of the entire screen, and I had no fear of the camera breaking (I did drop my phone once while taking a selfie and sure enough, the camera immediately slid back down into its protective housing). So I am hoping they bring this back. That said, I am glad they opted for the small punch out in the upper corner of the screen instead of the middle or top right... it's the least obtrusive location.

With my new video project going on, my camera is getting more of a workout than ever before. I was never one that liked to fiddle with manual camera or video adjustments. Really I just want to point and shoot and be done with it. And there are a lot of different things I'm shooting.....empty streets on Park Ave, time-lapse sunsets, Andy (sleeping, pretty much all the time...), beautiful sunrises over the East River, the inside and outside of NY shops and restaurants etc. All with different lighting situations. And with the 8Pro, I can do that without too much worry that I messed up a shot. And the 8Pro’s 4 lens specs are truly impressive-

• 48MP (Sony IMX689 sensor, f/1.7 aperture, 1.12um pixel size, OIS, EIS, PDAF, laser autofocus)
    • 48MP (Sony IMX586 sensor, f/2.2 aperture, 120-degree FoV)
    • 8MP (telephoto zoom, 3x optical hybrid, f/2.4 aperture, OIS)
    • 5MP (color filter, f/2.4 aperture)
    I don’t have OP7 Pro vs OP8 Pro image comparisons (I leave that to my buddies handling the upcoming camera review….), but I will say that I’ve seen a noticeable improvement using the 8Pro, especially in lower light situations….there is a lot more color differentiation in my shots, and the colors appear brighter, more vivid and crisp. Another area where I see a difference are with my extreme close-ups. Here’s a simple point and click macro shot of my buddy Andy…..I can now make out each and every hair that did not yet end up on my couch or sweater…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Video, while never one of my strong suits, is now taking up a larger portion of my time with my new project (and I promise to post a link to the film when it’s ready), so I don’t want a lot of complications as I make my videography debut. Like I mentioned earlier, I’m filming both indoors and outdoors, with a bulk of my filming taking place in the empty streets and shops of NYC. Since I don’t have a lot of fancy photo equipment, having built in features like 4K 60fps and the newer 4K CINE 60FPS (which uses much more memory, but provides for wider, more cinematic shots like those shown in theaters.....) is a nice addition. And I don’t need additional equipment. It’s all built right in; just check out the video settings under “video resolution”.

When I’m using my $12.00 phone tripod (thank you, Amazon….), I almost always set my video on HDR. The shots just appear crisper and brighter, especially when I’m outside and there's a lot of color and brightness contrasts. Otherwise, I set my phone on Super Stable as I’m walking and shooting… the final shots appear really professional. No dolly needed.

Other Stuff...

Although not specific to the 8Pro, one of my favorite features of the OnePlus series is the award-winning Oxygen OS. I was always a fan of stock Android (and CyanogenMod), and thankfully, the Oxygen team seems to be as well. They stay close to a pure Android-like experience by avoiding bloatware, allowing for customization whenever possible and only adding features if it will truly improve the user experience. All while staying clean and elegant. Another plus is that the team continues to officially support software updates two series back from the current model. Furthermore, they encourage and support both closed and open user-based beta testing.

All this, along with a fantastic user community makes the current series a true flagship.

Using the OP8 with JasonB

Hey guys, what's up? Also tagging along here is ~USBA JasonB~ and my focus is going to be on the OP8. I have the pleasure of daily driving the OnePlus 8! And I must say..... WOW! OnePlus has hit every need on everything I could need on a daily basis, work and fun! I've done a couple articles so far since the launch of the 8 series and if you recall I have the stunning Glacial Green Variant of the OP8 with 8GB RAM and 128GB of UFS3.0 storage. The more I use this the more I fall in love with this color over and over. As Keith mentioned, the color is one of the things that pops out the most! Little background on myself really quick, in my day to day life I am a REALTOR so having a blazing fast phone with zero compromises is a must, from taking pictures/videos, battery lasting all day, and the sheer speed for multitasking this devices brings it all plus more.

I'll follow the same basic format, so lets get down to the brass tacks and explain why these features are the perfect fit.

Display

The OnePlus 8 comes packed with a 6.55inch 1080p 90Hz AMOLED display. Now that's a mouthful, so what does all that mean? It's a smaller form factor than the 8 Pro so it's lighter weight and fits easier into your hand, while still providing all of the screen space you would ever need. A QHD resolution on this display size, to me, is not something that the human eye can really see. The OP8 feels just as sharp and clear as its big brother, so considering the device has less to power it saves on battery. How about the 90Hz, then? It's buttery smooth especially when scrolling through the phone, but probably 90% of the apps and games I use/play every day aren't set up for higher refresh rates (yet).

In a day to day aspect and taking this into my work it's, as I have said before, perfect. The FHD display brings incredibly crisp images and text. The 90 Hz works amazing plus the note I mentioned earlier, I'm actually not sure if any of my work apps are event set to use 90 Hz so I don't actually notice a difference. However, when gaming it's flawless. And the size is spot on. I want to say the OP 8 is by far the easiest phone OnePlus has designed to hold.

CPU, Ram, Storage

Just like its big brother the OnePlus 8 comes well equipped with the new Snapdragon 865 CPU which also includes 5G. It also comes with either 8/12GB of DDR4 Ram & 128/256GB UFS 3.0 storage. At any given moment during work hours I have tons of apps open from MLS, Gmail, WhatsApp, and more; even with the 8GB I have of RAM I'm still averaging only to use 5GB without one hiccup or slowdown. Even 128GB of UFS 3.0 storage I can still have several games, tons of music, and even pictures and videos (I do have to be careful though as pictures and videos these days take up tons of space no matter what, especially recording at 4k) But i'm always backing up my videos and photos to my PC so I can have easy access to them. When it comes to gaming, I'm a sucker for some CoD Mobile, where you feel how snappy and fast the Snapdragon 865 really is!

Battery

OnePlus has created one of the highest-rated charging systems in the industry. Warp Charge 30T. Coming in at a whopping 4300mAh this battery is huge. When paired with the 90 Hz and the FHD screen it lasts all day for me away from the charger. With Warp 30T though in case I decide to game during the day, I forget to charge the night before, or a spoof where I use more than usual I can always rely on insanely fast charging speeds whether it be from my Warp 30T car charger or wall block. My only wireless charging capable device is my Pixel Buds wireless so I personally am not seeing the loss in not having wireless charging yet and gladly accept the lower cost from the device due to this.

Camera

This is where OnePlus has always shined for me. I need pictures and love pictures that are true to life. The OnePlus 8 Cameras do just that. After taking a picture and then viewing it, the colors and shades are spot on with what my eyes see. In the real estate field when taking extra pictures and videos for clients this is perfect as we get the "real feel" especially in today's hectic world of business going virtual.

Equipped with a triple camera setup;

• a 48MP main sensor, 0.8um, f/1.75, OIS with 4k capabilities
    • 16MP UltraWide, 1.0um, f/2.2 wide lens with 116-degree wide angle
    • 2MP macro lens, 1.75um, f/2.4
    This setup provides excellent range and the perfect combo for me. In my day to day life I don't see the need for a telephoto zoom. They can be useful and I have enjoyed them in the past but for daily driving and work it's not a deal breaker for me.
    I have used a lot of OnePlus devices and every "OnePlus season" steps up the camera game even more from the previous. The quality of pictures become crisper and videos become smoother, with my key feature being the true to life color. Especially when pairing this to my gimbal, my shots have never looked better, nor have my videos ever been clearer. This alone is why I am loving my OnePlus 8 for work, virtual showings have never looked better!

OnePlus has killed it again with the 8 series bringing me what I need to get the job done! With killer hardware specs to "future-proof" with the inclusion of 5G and ample amounts of RAM, this series is a "no-brain-er". I made the upgrade switch and could not be happier, it does what I need and more. Attached with arguably the best android based OS in the world.

So that's it for now.....please share your stories on how your OP8 is becoming your daily driver.

Last edited: May 19, 2020

2. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer May 20, 2020

MosheG1 , May 20, 2020 :
    wow awesome job @keithnyc !!!
    not a single picture of food???

this was a great and comprehensive review and I can't wait to see your pics and time lapse videos you've made of New York!

(I go to NYC all the time, but not since caronavirus. I would like to see what the city that never sleeps looks like empty...)

3. G_Neeraj_Porwal_XSAR
    Honeycomb May 20, 2020

G_Neeraj_Porwal_XSAR , via OnePlus 5 , May 20, 2020 :
    it's a really flagship killer specifications mobile phone , am daf. sure I will not only run it will fly in Market .
    body
    display
    camera
    disign
    Ram rom
    memory
    software
    hardware
    looking
    battery mah (lithium) are awesome .
    all are awesome
    congratulations to team'

thank you OnePlus
    never Sattle

keithnyc likes this.
  4. Batman360
    Lollipop May 20, 2020

keithnyc and MosheG1 like this.
  5. Vishal2004
    Eclair May 20, 2020

Vishal2004 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 20, 2020 :
    it's a really flagship killer specifications mobile phone , am daf. sure I will not only run it will fly in Market .
    body
    display
    camera
    disign
    Ram rom
    memory
    software
    hardware
    looking
    battery mah (lithium) are awesome .
    all are awesome
    congratulations to team'

thank you OnePlus
    never Sattle

keithnyc likes this.
  6. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert May 20, 2020

cdnfarmer , May 20, 2020 :
    Great job @keithnyc . Really enjoy the real life experiences... I would find it really interesting as I was about to start a teleconference (with) 19 people) when I read this thread. Would like to try the screen even more now. 😊

7. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator May 20, 2020

keithnyc , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 20, 2020 :
    How could I have missed that...ok, next installment will be Food Paradise of NYC!

8. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator May 20, 2020

keithnyc , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 20, 2020 :
    thank you, buddy. my mate Jason B did the second half as well. honestly speaking, I'm all about carrying only one device with me. But I work consultant hours, so I member know when I well actually have to work. Having a dievuce that lets me edit an Excel document on the fly without squinting and also being able to carry on a conversation without something crashing is a big deal for me.

MosheG1, superplus and Batman360 like this.
  9. MosheG1

MosheG1 , May 20, 2020 :
    yuuuus!

keithnyc and Batman360 like this.
  10. Batman360
    Lollipop May 20, 2020

Batman360 , May 20, 2020 :
    You both did an excellent work 😄
    And yess this is so true, everyone wants their phone to NOT crash in between some important work.

keithnyc and MosheG1 like this.
  11. An.I.Am
    Jelly Bean Moderator May 20, 2020

An.I.Am , May 20, 2020 :
    How does it feel in the hand, if you had to choose do you prefer the feel of the 8 or the 7? I have no idea if it's bigger or heavier, but I'm curious how's compared to our champ the 7 pro :)

12. MosheG1

MosheG1 , May 20, 2020 :
    the 8 feels way better for sure

Batman360 and superplus like this.
  13. SeaRefractor
    Gingerbread May 20, 2020

SeaRefractor , May 20, 2020 :
    Great review, but with support work in the title, it would have been nice to highlight further the benefits of how it supports work.

keithnyc likes this.
  14. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator May 21, 2020

keithnyc , May 21, 2020 :
    Personally, I love the feel of the 8 better for a few reasons...it's lighter than my 7Pro (7Pro with case is .505 lbs; the 8Pro is .483) and it's thinner. It's also much "grippier" without the case based on the softer finish.

That said, I have friends who still prefer the size and feel of the 7pro over the 8pro.

M1586839414404, Batman360 and MosheG1 like this.
  15. keithnyc

keithnyc , May 21, 2020 :
    Awww, thanks. And yes, I've used it for large zoom meetings. While it certainly doesn't take the place of a big sceen on my Chromebook or PC, it handled the meeting well. I'm guessing the power and screen refresh rate has a lot to do with allowing the Zoom conference to work well.
    And seriously, this is really the only device I carry around with me now...Luckily my Help Desk at work stuck by me with tweaking their security software I needed to install on my phone, helping me to have it integrate flawessly with my work email (Outlook 365) and work apps.

Batman360, MosheG1 and cdnfarmer like this.
  16. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert May 21, 2020

cdnfarmer , May 21, 2020 :
    This sounds awesome. Great that you could get the work emails and app integrated too.

keithnyc, Batman360 and MosheG1 like this.
  17. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , May 21, 2020 :
    @keithnyc Isn't this post kind of disingenuous? You're touting the OP8Pro (which I have, and believe is a beautiful smartphone) as being game-changer in supporting your work and home... as if any flagship on the market right now wouldn't support you in a very similar way.

Also, the photo of Andy is very poorly focused, and is unimpressive. I was taking photos of my cat in normal light, indoors, and my girlfriends iPhone X took shots that looked so much better than my OP8Pro..

I feel that in your pursuit, as a moderator, to create content for this forum... (like I'm sure OnePlus expects/hopes you will), you're enabling OnePlus to drag its feet in acknowledging quality issues with its products, which the further way from launch it gets, the more justified they will feel in choosing to focus on more important things like developing their next product, leaving everyone here who paid $1100 with a subpart device.. because people felt obligated to amp up their forum presence with some brown nosing to drown out any criticisms.

18. keithnyc

keithnyc , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 21, 2020 :
    yup, you are absolutely correct. I will fix that.....

(just as a quick aside, I really like having the ability to have Excel and PowerPoint apps at meetings which I can edit on the fly....I did have to pay extra for an Office 365 account..$6.95/month so I could edit Office documents, bit it's well worth it. Folks at my office were amazed when in was able to cast my phone's screen to the large TV monitor in the conference room and scraggly edit a PowerPoint slide).

thanks for reading, buddy. much appreciated

SeaRefractor and Batman360 like this.
  19. keithnyc

keithnyc , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 21, 2020 :

JustASoftwareEngineer

@keithnyc Isn't this post kind of disingenuous? You're touting the OP8Pro (which I have, and believe is a beautiful smartphone) as being game-changer in supporting your work and home... as if any flagship on the market right now wouldn't support you in a very similar way.

Also, the photo of Andy is very poorly focused, and is unimpressive. I was taking photos of my cat in normal light, indoors, and my girlfriends iPhone X took shots that looked so much better than my OP8Pro..

I feel that in your pursuit, as a head moderator, to create content for this forum... (like I'm sure OnePlus expects/hopes you will), you're enabling OnePlus to drag its feet in acknowledging quality issues with its products, which the further way from launch it gets, the more justified they will feel in choosing to focus on more important things like developing their next product, leaving everyone here who paid $1100 with a subpart device.. because people felt obligated to amp up their forum presence with some brown nosing to drown out any criticisms.​

Hiya mate..
    First off, Thanks for reading. II carefully read your response....I'm sorry you feel that way, but I certainly appreciate your point of view....just wanted to address some of your points..

I'm not a head moderator.... only a moderator. But thank you for the virtual promotion. Secondly, you're spot on with your comment on the picture composition....Andy wasn't cooperating, but I could have done better, my bad..

But I have to disagree with your other points.....I'm not sure if other phones would be able to adequately all my work and social needs (well, mostly work) . For me, the 8Pro's hardware and software combine beautifully to make for a really seamless experience and have allowed me to leave my Chromebook on my desk when I go to meetings or conferences. That's what I tried to address.

I'm not an employee for OnePlus.....I'm a volunteer. I can't speak for other users, only myself. I've stuck by OnePlus because I believe in the company, the community and their products....they make great devices that have never given me a problem.

Last edited: May 21, 2020

Batman360 likes this.
  20. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , May 21, 2020 :
    You replied too quickly :D. I fixed the moderator vs. head moderator mistake within a couple of seconds of my post.

I just don't think you should blame yourself regarding the picture. My cat absolutely wasn't cooperating either.. yet still the picture on my girlfriend's iPhone X came out perfect, which makes me think OnePlus didn't put in the work to fortify their auto-focus's algorithm, so we have to play a game of "will their dev team get the time to fix this between now and when the next release becomes a priority".

As someone who switched from a Galaxy phone, I really do not understand what features you think the OnePlus has that make it distinguishable in it's ability to support you through work.

My Galaxy S9+ broke, so I relied on a $80 crappy android phone with 3gb of ram (Blu G6), and while I'll definitely posit the more powerful samsung phone was faster, both devices supported me... mainly because they... have an operating system, and semi-modern hardware.

Now having the OP8Pro, things are definitely faster, smoother, and remarkable, but I feel I'd be outright disingenuous to try and claim these improvements make it any easier to work compared to the Samsung Galaxy.. That said, I don't regret buying it, because it's clearly a better phone... but I think it's important to acknowledge that having the newest and best phone isn't going to somehow transcend you through the workplace.

I understand you're a volunteer; I also understand the dynamic people feel and develop when they're appointed to a trusted position, like the moderator. I also understand and feel a lot of your belief in the company, their vision, etc... but I feel like you should keep the reality in mind that you're an asset in that you're, especially with the special feeling of responsibility, being appointed as a moderator, more likely to also feel responsible for creating content that ignores negatives, and criticisms, and praises them. If you really believed in them, you'd be as critical as possible, and trust they'd listen.