OnePlus 8 Standalone 5G support?

1. redvw
    Froyo Aug 11, 2020

redvw , Aug 11, 2020 :
    Will an unlocked OnePlus 8 purchased from OnePlus have standalone 5G support on T-Mobile?

V1588130090623, sx10 and JOHN PONDER like this.
  2. jellis24
    Donut Aug 11, 2020

JOHN PONDER and redvw like this.

redvw likes this.
  4. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 22, 2020

pgrey , Aug 22, 2020 :
    It's already "partially enabled" (I've filed a couple of bugs, with logs, to this effect).
    The low-band 5G works, if you're in a spot with great 5G coverage (which isn't exactly the same as the TMo maps, shockingly ;-]).
    5G/4G/LTE aggregation isn't very functional though, this is the current downside, which could/should be fixed, at some point (e.g. if you've got 5G enabled, 4G/LTE is marginally usable, if you're in a weak 5G area, it "hangs onto" the 5G signal and 4G/LTE struggles, particularly on backhaul).

It also falls over, for me anyway, if I have ANY active WiFi connection (either 5GHz or 2.4, I've tested both, and sent logs with both, to OP). Unfortunately, in this case, it should use aggregation on 4G/LTE, but again, it struggles...

I went by a TMo store, a few weeks back, to see how their branded OP 8 worked, and the behavior was identical, so there's that, maybe TMo is applying pressure from their side, too.

Hopefully, OP is queuing up some fixes for all of this, sometime soon (the 10.5.13 NA update didn't change anything, with this regard).

JOHN PONDER and redvw like this.
  5. sx10
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2020

sx10 , Oct 20, 2020 :
    Bumping this request. Tmobile variant has had SA for a few months now. We'd really like to see this working in the Global Oneplus 8/Pro roms.

6. mlmathes
    Cupcake Oct 31, 2020

7. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 1, 2020

pgrey , Nov 1, 2020 :
    Probably filing a bug(s) is the most effective way to move this along, rather than "talking amongst ourselves here", but that's just a guess... ;-]
    I'm sure OP is pretty aware of the situation, does anyone know which way "things get pushed", for this? It's all new, in 5G, and I haven't really looked at enough specs (things like VoLTE are a TON more obvious/defined/talked-to-death), even the current rags don't seem to have much technical depth in this area, that I've seen.