OnePlus 8t Australia

1. F_Brendan_Ralph_Qyup
    Cupcake Mar 1, 2021

F_Brendan_Ralph_Qyup , Mar 1, 2021 :
    Hi everyone! I'm an Australian who is currently using a OnePlus 5 and looking to upgrade. I've fallen in love with OnePlus and am looking to buy an 8t. I know OnePlus doesn't sell to Australia anymore and you have to shop places like Kogan or Dick Smith.

My worry is that it won't work here in Australia. I'm wondering if there are any other Australian OnePlus users out there who can verify whether the 8t works here (with Telstra) and/or any tips on sites to buy one.

Cheers!

2. Tinglish
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2021

Tinglish , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 6, 2021 :
    Hi
    I'm not from australia,but I wanted to find the answers for you.
    So after looking into it you can import the 8t and it will work with Telstra, some australians have said it's best to get the global version if you want 5g to work,if not only 4g will work.although one person said they had no issue with connected to 5g and they didn't have global version.
    But to be safe I'd just get a global version. said:

Kogan, Amazon, GearBest or Buy Mobile are the best places to buy oneplus 8t from
    Hope this is helpful,and good luck with your quest 👍
    p.s I've just checked the sites and it looks like amazon doesn't sell them for australia,but the others do and gearbest seems the cheapest $599 for the silver model

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021

3. gee.dunkin
    Donut Mar 9, 2021

gee.dunkin , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 9, 2021 :
    I might be a bit late but I am in Australia with 8T Cyberpunk KB2000 which is China variant. I am with Telstra on 5G plan but am unable to get 5G to work.
    The device came with Hydrogen OS installed with Google apps, some of which (Google Pay) did not work.
    I decided to flash Oxygen OS to see if maybe the global firmware would by some miracle allow 5G. Unfortunately no. I also tried running some carrier scripts recommended for OP8 and OP8 Pro devices on XDA which have been successful for other Australian users getting 5G to work but these did not work for my device.
    Google pay (contactless pay) does work now though however there are currently issues with OTA updates on 8T devices running OOS. I have successfully updated the firmware using local install as opposed to OTA.
    The interesting thing about 5G is that I also got my partner the Samsung Galaxy S21 which is also a Chinese model which has the same available carrier band as the 8T (n78) and gets 5G no problem, VoLTE also.

This link is a good place to see what devices will work in AUS. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me and the 8T and hopefully future OOS updates will fix the 5G issue and OTA update issues.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-oneplus-8t-cyberpunk-2077

If 5G is a must for you then I would advise against the 8T as I have tried almost every fix with no luck. Also at this stage there are no custom recovery (TWRP) options for 8T so custom firmware is also not an option.