OnePlus 8T bugs...

1. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 18, 2020

TheMystic , Oct 18, 2020 :
    Bugs in OOS 11: OnePlus 8T

1. Frequent WiFi drops. Very frequently, the WiFi keeps dropping (WiFi sign remains on the status bar, but internet won't work). Sometimes the WiFi icon will have the ! exclamation mark next to it, but not always. Simply toggling the WiFi on/ off or switching the WiFi bands solve the problem. But this happens very frequently and is very annoying.

2. In-display fingerprint scanner is glitchy. Often doesn't work when trying to unlock with fingers placed sideways or at an angle. This is mainly because during registration itself, the scanner doesn't register the fingerprint properly when the finger is placed in different angles. It keeps giving error during registration itself, so it not working during actual use is because the different edges and angles haven't been registered properly.

UPDATE: I HAVE NOTICED THAT IF YOU PRESS THE SCANNER WITH A LITTLE PRESSURE (LIKE 3D TOUCH ON IPHONES), IT HAS A HIGHER CHANCE OF WORKING EVEN IF THE FINGER IS PLACED SIDEWAYS OR AT AN ANGLE.

TIP: When registering your fingerprint, press on the fingerprint scanner area with slight pressure, and do that from various different angles.

3. Screen unlock using Face Unlock doesn't always work when the display lights up. Have to click on the face icon on the lock screen to make it work. This is observed in specific scenarios. For example, if the charger is disconnected, the screen lights up but face unlock doesn't scan your face. It will only scan when you click on the face icon. Face unlock works fine when you manually turn on the display by pressing the power button or double tapping on the screen. But if display lights up on its own during other scenarios like charger being connected/ disconnected, notifications, etc. face unlock isn't getting activated.

UPDATE: It seems this is expected behaviour and not a bug. With Ambient display enabled for notifications, it makes sense if Face unlock doesn't start scanning for face every time a notification comes through because that would drain the battery.

4. Glitchy PiP animation.

5. 120 Hz refresh rate isn't too consistent. I notice regular stutters in some apps like the Google app, Google News, OneDrive, etc. which I use a lot. I think this is because of the 'dynamic' nature of the implementation where refresh rate switches automatically based on scenarios. They need to fix this.

6. Notification Bug:

Screenshot_20201020-091459.jpg

This was observed only once so far.

7. Ambient Display not working properly and Horizon Lights not working at all. When a new notification comes, the lock screen shows up instead of the Ambient Display. And Horizon Light isn't working at all.

UPDATE: Ambient Display for notifications is tied to the notification settings for lockscreen. If notifications on lock screen is disabled, then Ambient Display won't turn on for notifications and same is true for Horizon Lights.

8. Display settings like 'Vision Comfort' don't work on the lock screen/ app lock screen.

9. Theme Bug: I have set the dark mode to enable on a schedule. The themes don't apply correctly to notifications and widgets when the switch happens daily. The text on notifications and widgets are not readable. Most consistent bug is with WhatsApp widget. The text on notifications area too a problem as seen in the screenshot below:

Screenshot_20201025-081422.jpg

10. Display bug - The display often stops responding to Vision mode or Reading mode. Toggling those makes no difference. Only a device restart fixes the problem.

11. Display Green Tint - At very low brightness (in my case it is around 10% with auto-brightness enabled), the display tends to tint randomly. The brightness tends to dim and increase repeatedly within a small range with a green tint. It is kind of the display struggling to keep the brightness level steady.

12. Display Color Temperature becomes warm - The displays sometimes switches to a warmer tone on its own and even at the coolest colour temperature setting, it still has a warm tone.

13. "Free up Space" under Settings/ Storage using built-in Storage Manager is not working. The app keeps scanning and freezes.

14. Data usage restrictions - Do 'Disable WiFi' and 'Disable Data Usage' completely block internet access to apps? WhatsApp was able to check current account status despite being blocked from accessing internet.

15. App permissions - Apps are able to read OTP despite no access being given to SMS. Are they also able to read other messages?

Other observations

1. Camera performance is horrible, especially after the 11.0.1.2 update. Too much smoothening, skin lightening, contrast problems. Portrait mode shots are absolutely horrible. Please FIX this urgently.

2. Screenshots - It is not possible to take a new screenshot until the small screenshot window is swiped away or until it goes away on its own (which takes about 5 seconds). This makes it difficult to take screenshots in succession. Kindly allow for new screenshots to be taken in succession by automatically swiping away the screenshot window.

3. 'System' is taking up 22 GB space. Thats a lot of space. On OOS 9, it was below 7 GB for me most of the time, and occasionally increasing up to 8 GB. But now it is almost 3 times that space, on a clean installation.

4. Not exactly a bug, but Dolby Atmos is pretty much useless. I don't know why they didn't do enough to give good quality sound.

Share any bugs you find.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

2. Rajendra.Bhat
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2020

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020

3. BeingIncog
    Nougat Oct 18, 2020

BeingIncog , Oct 18, 2020 :
    OMG! how could you do this? you are an older member of the community and you know how to report bugs!

pablofg1978 likes this.
  4. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 18, 2020

TheMystic , Oct 18, 2020 :
    It is not always about reporting. A thread can also be created to share information with the community and in turn receive feedback from them on their own experiences. It will also reveal whether a problem is an isolated one or experienced by many.

Also, creating a thread does not mean the bug report wasn't sent. :)

5. Angel_Mejia
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020

Angel_Mejia , Oct 19, 2020 :
    OnePlus 8T icon disappeared after update Oxygen 11.0.1.2 that was received today, please help.

6. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 19, 2020

TheMystic , Oct 19, 2020 :
    Where is this icon you are referring to?

7. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator Oct 19, 2020

pablofg1978 , Oct 19, 2020 :
    Well, I can't find any bug report submitted by you

8. Angel_Mejia
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020

So I just received an update about 2hrs ago on my 8T and the icons on the home screen randomly disappear, like I'll be in an app, then go to the home screen and there is nothing there, just my background. Also when I try to open the app drawer, nothing comes up. The only things that am able to see if the shelf's when I slide it down in the middle of the screen, there I see my recent apps and I can open them from there. Also when I slide down the notification bar, there I can go to settings and while in settings then I just swipe my screen right to take me back to the main screen and that's how I am able to make all the apps show up again. This is really annoying.

9. Angel_Mejia
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020

Also just noticed when I open a folder on my home screen nothing shows up. It only happens on folder's that have more than 2 apps icons. So pretty much if I open a folder that has more than 2 apps icons, nothing comes up, it's just blank.

10. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 19, 2020

This could be a launcher bug. Go to Settings/ Apps/ OnePlus Launcher/ Storage. Delete the app data. This will reset your launcher and you will have to set it up again.

If the problem doesn't go away, try a 3rd party launcher from Google Play Store like Microsoft launcher to see if it helps.

11. Angel_Mejia
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020

Good idea, let me try that and I will let you know

12. Tobikage
    Nougat Oct 19, 2020

Tobikage , Oct 19, 2020 :
    OMG! how could you do this? you are an older member of the community and you know he likes making threads !

G_plusone, BeingIncog and B_Wrath like this.
  13. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 19, 2020

You forgot to mention "and helping people".

14. Angel_Mejia
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020

So updates, I deleted the data from the OnePlus launcher and that still didn't work. I started using a 3rd party launcher and haven't had any issues so far. Looks like the issues is the launcher.

15. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 19, 2020

Good that the problem has been solved for you.

But I must tell you that I too had one instance of a blank home screen on Microsoft launcher. And this was before today's update. I had to go to the home screen again by swiping up and then everything came back. Didn't have the folder issue.

So if you experience the problem again, then it could be something else. May be a bug with the OS itself.

16. Angel_Mejia
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020

Well I am using Nova Launcher and haven't had any issues so far, maybe try that one.

17. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 19, 2020

It happened only once and everything is fine as of now.

18. ashish_feels
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020

ashish_feels , Oct 19, 2020 :
    Anyone facing the battery drain issue for me is only 3hrs 30 min from 100% to 15% without any gaming or streaming anything. just 40 min of call a bit of WhatsApp

19. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 19, 2020

My battery is holding on well. May be you have some rogue apps.

20. ashish_feels
    Cupcake Oct 19, 2020