Oneplus 9 Pro PC connectivity issue on USB type C to Type C

1. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 9, 2021

G_Ganesh_venki_axUf , May 9, 2021 :
    Hi team,
    I have connected Oneplus 9 pro to my pc via Type c to Type c stock cable, selecting the file transfer nothing happens. it keeps on connecting and dis connecting.

this is not a cable issue because, i connected oneplus 3t with the same cable from oneplus 9 pro.
    it is connecting without any issue.

This is not a hardware issue in oneplus 9 pro because if i use the cabe from oneplus 3T which is type A to type c, now oneplus 9 pro is connecting without any issue with my pc.

Oneplus 9 pro:
    File transfer works only on Type A to type c.
    Stock type c to type c cable keeps on disconnecting

oneplus 3T:
    file transfer is fine on both type A to type C and Type c to type c.

Note: Both 3T and 9 Pro testing with same Type A to Type C and Type c to Type c cables.

so it is not a cable fault or hardware issue in oneplus 9 pro, It is a bug in oneplus 9 pro while connecting through file transfer in type C to Type C mode.

Please fix this issue, this is a crap. this is not acceptable for the price of oneplus 9 pro.

2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert May 9, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , May 9, 2021 :
    Maybe it's only an issue with a certain link speed. 9 Pro supports higher speeds (USB 3.1 GEN1).
    3T is USB 2.0.
    Previous charge cables supported USB 2.0. What the new USB C to C cable supports I'm not really sure. Optimal data transfer would mean having an USB 3.1 GEN1 speced cable.
    Optimal for charging and optimal for transfer may not necessarily be the same cable.

Caoimhín likes this.
  3. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

G_Ganesh_venki_axUf , May 10, 2021 :
    Might be, But it should always support lower speeds too right?

4. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

Just now checked my Laptop configuration, It supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 in the USB type C port. So It is a bug with Oneplus 9 pro. with same type c cable and port 3T connects without any issue.

5. Ghazala.Yasmeen
    OnePlus Bug Hunter Staff Member May 10, 2021

Ghazala.Yasmeen , May 10, 2021 :
    We may have to check this further and have contacted you through personal conversation.

Regards,
    Ghazala

6. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert May 10, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , May 10, 2021 :
    I'm not an USB standard expert but what if your port combination of PC port and phone port makes it incorrectly use a higher transfer than what the cable can offer when connecting to 9 Pro. That would make the cable the weak link.
    When connecting 3T it automatically use speeds the 3T can use (USB 2.0).

So what happens is that we get 2 very different speeds depending on what device you connect.
    I don't know if the cable tells the system to use a certain protocol or is just a dumb middle man with nothing to say... So if the standards of the cable is below what your ports can offer and it still tries to maintain the higher speeds you get packet drops and corruption in the data link.

And even in cases like having a defect USB 3.1 GEN1 cable... It could maintain USB 2.0 speeds but fails in 3.1 GEN1 speeds.

Caoimhín likes this.
  7. Caomhin

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 10, 2021 :
    This may not fix your issue. But it's something I experienced quite a while back. Similar issue phone wouldn't connect. In my case they were USB A ports.

I found that the power saving feature for the USB port on Windows caused the port to go into a suspended state. I disabled it by going into each of the USB port properties in device manager and turning off the Sleep Stanby option under the Power tab in USB properties. Then restarting Windows. This worked for me.

Again, this may or may not fix the issue for you. But if it does do let us know.

8. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

Yo
    Sure, Let me come back to you

9. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

I am totally confused now, I connected oneplus 9 pro with usb type c to type c in my brother's desktop. it worked with out any issue. This is very strange.

My laptop is a gaming laptop from Lenovo, That usb type c in the laptop is capable of higher speeds . But why it is not working in my laptop??

My brother desktop usb type c is also a 3.1 version. Which is just like my laptop spec?

10. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

I hope there is nothing like a power saving mode in my laptop, but it have a feature like usb will be on even when laptop is in shutdown state. to charge phones while the laptop is off. that feature is also ON right now. Still no use.

11. Caomhin

Check my post above on possible USB issues in Windows. Windows Laptops tend to have more aggressive energy saving features built in due to the nature of running them on Battery. Whereas a PC is always plugged in.

G_Ganesh_venki_axUf likes this.
  12. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

Tried it now but that didn't worked

Caoimhín likes this.
  13. Caomhin

If it works on a PC with the same cable, then it would appear the cable is fine for connections. it's definitely a laptop issue. Either some energy saving USB C feature or other feature to do with how a laptop or Windows on a laptop copes with a connection. It's also possibly some OEM Laptop Manufacturer energy assist windows program. You might have to check further on the laptop to see what may be preventing the phone being recognised properly.

14. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

G_Ganesh_venki_axUf , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 10, 2021 :
    But OnePlus 3T connects though.

Let's see

15. Caomhin

G_Ganesh_venki_axUf likes this.
  16. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

Does this also mean, Our oneplus 9 pro cant connect with USB 2.0 port?:confused:

17. Caomhin

No, that is not what I said. I said you need to check with the laptop manufacturer as to why your USB port is giving issues such as you have. You have said yourself it works fine on a PC when connected. This shows that there is no issue with either the phone or the cable. But is an issue with the USB C port on the laptop.

What that issue is, will be for your Laptop Manufacturer support to investigate. It may be a setting somewhere. But they will be the ones to help from here.

18. G_Ganesh_venki_axUf
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

G_Ganesh_venki_axUf , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 10, 2021 :
    Yes I scheduled a call with the team. Let's see what they can offer

Caoimhín likes this.
  19. Caomhin

20. paramjit2001
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021