Oneplus 9 Pro really strange problem and experience so far

1. mlodykaras
    Gingerbread Apr 18, 2021

mlodykaras , Apr 18, 2021 :
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with my first ever pre-ordered phone from Oneplus... and its not going to be positive one. I received the phone on the 7th of April so after 11 days here are my thoughts.

Coming from OP8 and paying almost twice as much as I paid for my previous phone I was expecting mind blowing experience but so far... it's kind terrible. I'm seriously thinking about returning the phone because there is no guarantee that all the issues present at the moment will be fixed with updates. Well I dont want to wait another 6 months to find out either so lets see.

Issues I have at the moment are really strange especially coming from a OP8 super smooth experience.
    Basically OP9Pro with the latest software installed acts during the day like it has a mind of its own. Half a day works fine and the other half its laggy as hell.
    Google discover page can be super laggy and stuttery and after 30mins it can be super smooth! There are UI slowdowns and it looks like the refresh rate of the screen is all over the place with certain apps and system UI elements. Overall feeling from using the phone is very uneven and not satisfying at all!

I had multiple OP devices in the past (OP1, OP5, OP6T, OP7, OP8) and I know how to set up a device for it not to drain battery as hell but...

Battery life is really random for me as well. When I actually use the phone its not that bad. When I go somewhere outside, I connect it to my car with BT and even though I don't even use the phone the battery can drop by like 10% in 2hrs! for no reason!?

Motion Graphics smoothing is very glitchy with half of the Apps I tried it with (Netflix etc)

Camera experience has been actually very good so far even though the battery can go down very quickly when taking photos. I really like the screen with its subtle curve, the design (stellar black is brilliant), the size etc. but the software experience so far is the worst I had in years. Maybe I should have stuck to my previous habit of buying phones that are 6months on the market and have decent software optimizations after that period.

Anyways... I just hope OP will release updates soon to fix all the issues people are having and I can buy the OP9Pro in the future again... maybe for summer ;)

2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 18, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 18, 2021 :
    I have seen many similar complaints and I'm sure it will be solved with some patches and optimisations. I was pretty late on 8 Pro due to delivery issues. But was early on 7 Pro.
    They all had some initial issues but turned out pretty good during my usage.

3. chandramoulipolavarapu , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 18, 2021 :
    To be honest. Isn't it bad for a 70k phones having camera, battery, refresh rate issues and they released it half baked.

Then why did they mentioned some number of extra optimisations were done to Make the experience seamless in their 9pro launch. Isn't just fake marketing?

Buying this phone now and hoping for stability in future is pure meh or ignorance... . Next time I won't do this mistake.

Atleast they should have optimised this one like their op3 before the launch .

There several UI issues to be honest with you. There is a very big list. Some are present since ages in other op phones.

I don't think they will work on those issues for op9pro

Some features are just half baked..

Brother instead replying here to everyone on their issues. Why can't u pose questions to ur team??

Bcos the things u are assuring may or may not be resolved to op9pro bcos some were present since long time in op phones....

If u have requested them show us proofs instead of replying to everyone to wait.

None have bought this phone for glitchy software and hoping to get it fix in long term. (By the why u are comparing with 7pro).

That is two year old phone and now Op is indirectly following the same kind of bad strategy for 9pro ??

See this might hurt u. As u are o series expert show Us proofs that u have requested some features and raised bug reports.. simply stating to wait doesn't calm down most of the people. I know how software works.

But there are lots of people who don't know software life cycle and other stuff. Atleast u should come up with soke proofs from ur end to answer their questions

G_Chee_Seng_vsTK likes this.
  4. RT33
    Donut Apr 18, 2021

RT33 , Apr 18, 2021 :
    Some complaints and observations from me and and from a Finnish forum:

- random system freezes, screen goes blank, have to click power button to get a reaction.
    - stutters and hick-ups here and there.
    - auto brightness got stuck, had to reboot.
    - swipe up from bottom to go to home screen did not respond, had to reboot.
    - many times battery is ok when home and connected to wifi, but move around town in 4g networks and you are in trouble.
    - notifications wont show up on lockscreen unless horizon light is enabled. All settings triple checked and working in Oneplus 8 thats set up same way.
    - button lag using gboard.
    - gmail wont react to incoming emails.
    - when talking to person on a call, phone shows an incoming call from that same person at the same time. Problem persists until you reboot. Cannot reject the call.
    - even normal wide lens has got major distortion at the corners. Bigger than rival phones with similar lenses. Peoples faces has to be in the middle of the frame, otherwise looks really stupid.

Last Oneplus i had was 7T, and bought it at launch day. Was smooth and fully functional from day one.
    Not this phone.

5. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , Apr 18, 2021 :
    I'm just a regular user really. I'm replicating and reporting issues and try to help out here the best I can. I have been rewarded the title Community Bughunter for my involvement in reporting bugs before the Expert title. So I do the best I can both for myself and others here to make the experience better. I basically report everything I can replicate. And I do bug tracking log for days if necessary. I don't really mind doing it since it kind of an hobby.
    I had much worse phones that this in my life. One of them I could not trust for over 2 months to even act as my alarm clock. Random reboots and stuff too. Not reliable for anything really. (not an Oneplus)
    I have digged around and reported many things on 7 Pro, 8 Pro and now 9 Pro. Issues exists here too but I guess I see it slightly differently. The most critical issues I ever have had on Oneplus is not caused by 9 Pro. But I do still nag on the devs over one issue that I have replicated on both 8 Pro for some time and now 9 Pro.
    My phone works for me pretty well apport from the well known scroll and lag here and there. The dynamic refresh rate problem probably makes the optimization a little harder, but even the regular 9 needs optimizing even without that feature. I don't really have an heat nor battery issue. My SoT peak with my normal usage has peaked at near 11h with 11% left. So on that point I could not be happier.
    I've used both 7 Pro and 8 Pro for about a year each. They matured. Why would not 9 Pro? That at least they way I see it.

I gladly try to replicate some of your issues and report them. And I can also forward this thread to a few.

the_o2 and Caoimhín like this.
  6. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , Apr 18, 2021 :
    Have any of that been reported via the feedback tool?
    I've seen a few cases of reboot and hangs. Most seem to have a common link. Full Oneplus Switch transfers from an older phone.
    I never transfer anything. I start fresh. Not even using the restore from Google during the setup process.
    I'll copy your text and try to replicate some of your issues myself.

Caoimhín likes this.
  7. chandramoulipolavarapu , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 18, 2021 :
    If u want to try out I will report, list by list issues based on UI , Aod, battery, camera, refresh rate.
    Not those common issues but different ones.

Do u really want to report those? If I present those issues here ??

8. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 18, 2021 :
    Sure if I can replicate them I'll report them for you.

Caoimhín likes this.
  9. chandramoulipolavarapu , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 18, 2021 :
    UI:
    1. There is no option to lock home screen layout. They should give this feature as option so those want can utilise it.
    2. The auto Rotate Suggestion bug or it was designed half baked: when u are using gesture bar and u tilt ur phone will get auto Rotate Suggestion toggle switch instead of swipe it from QS settings toggle. .
    But, when u don't like Nav bar for gesture and u hide it: u won't get this auto Rotate suggestion togglr switch option while rotating.
    This feature limitation is present since Gesture bar availability in android.
    Several OEMs gave flexibility to hide Gesture bar option.
    Which means u will get that auto Rotate Suggestion irrespective to the presence of bottom gesture bar

If u want I will tag u in my thread I have created. Or I will share it here.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...baked-auto-rotate-suggestion-feature.1417705/
    This issue is present in op devices since ages.
    Reporting it doesn't fix immediately .

G_Chee_Seng_vsTK and Swejuggalo like this.
  10. chandramoulipolavarapu , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 18, 2021 :
    UI:

3. Reachability of Qs tile: if u keep swipe down on blank screen u will get it easily.

But u will loose Oneplus shelf by swipe down on black home screen..

This is just giving features and limiting users to use those. Or.
    Just asking them use it, as it is like it was there to use than to tweak for user preference....

Swejuggalo likes this.
  11. chandramoulipolavarapu , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 18, 2021 :
    UI:
    4. Full screen gesture: swipe from left or right is decent feature to go back..
    But it is ridiculously limited. While in whatsapp or tg and I am trying to go back. It is 'triggering reply to msg' instead of going back by one step .
    This is mainly due to big screen real estate.
    There are several OEMs in android solved it by giving an option in swiping from left bottom or right bottom corners to go back by one step. It is an awesome for big screen phones and solves the issue for one hand mode operation.
    If u want furthermore pictures and explanation! Reply to this message:. I will post pictures from other OEMs phones.
    Moreover that is not a patent feature to restrict from using it. ""Realme , samsung, vivo, oppo are using the same beautiful swipe from bottom corners to go back by one step while the gesture bar is in hide mode ""

Swejuggalo likes this.
  12. chandramoulipolavarapu , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 18, 2021 :
    UI:
    5.Oneplus Clock app widget: it insanely taking huge space in home screen
    Technically the issue is due to padding. Or incorrect design implementation while writing the code widget design..
    I am attaching the pics for this widget issue. In this pictures the widget is insanely utilising the available screen real estate and limiting the number of other apps edition..
    U may suggest me to change the dpi . But I like the way it used to be.
    Again there are OEMs implemented in correct way.
    Like when u reduce that widget bar the content inside the widget will shrink accordingly to provide the data updates.
    Here it is hiding the time zones that I added for my work usage instead of shrinking as per the size. .
    It can be resolvable by correcting it through padding
    Or
    May be changing the Oneplus launcher icons and widgets screen size utilisation said:

Note: herenever changed font size , display size in settings:
    all of them are in default state. .

If u want furthermore clarification on this issue. Reply to this message ...
    1618785599950.jpg
    1618785599990.jpg
    1618785600029.jpg
    1618785600069.jpg

mlodykaras and Swejuggalo like this.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  14. RT33
    Donut Apr 19, 2021

RT33 , Apr 19, 2021 :
    Only the notification not showing up on lockscreen - part. Thats the only one i can replicate when i want.

Auto brightness got stuck when i went outside to bright sunlight. Had to manyally adjust the slider to see anything. After that removed the live wallpaper i was using at the time. Has worked after that

15. dinamoski
    Honeycomb Apr 19, 2021

dinamoski , Apr 19, 2021 :
    Bought my 9 Pro from launch day. Mine has been stable, none of the issues that some people have been reporting.
    I had a heating warning when I first plugged the phone to charge on USB on a hot day. Occasional slight stutter when scrolling. But apart from that, phone feels smooth and consistent, no other issues.

Caoimhín likes this.
  16. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 19, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 19, 2021 :
    1. That would come in handy. Not sure if I noticed this being mentioned in Ideas 1.0 or 2.0.
    Other than suggesting stuff via the feedback tool spreading your ideas during an Ideas event can be ways to make them introduce new features.
    Some adopted things from Ideas comes quickly. Some is yet to be included.
    Personally there is plenty of alternatives that might work as replacements. It's pretty common to use a 3rd party launcher. That way you kind of get the same thing regardless of what phone you use.
    There is always some feature missing that someone wants.
    2. Yes this issue can be annoying for those that use manual rotation. I have reported it too once. I haven't checked how Google have done on this topic. If this relies on OEM fixes it could kind of explain it. I'm sure they are aware of it and have noted it but may have it as low priority. Many things is a matter of priority. Sometimes the priority may not be the same as the priority the customers want.
    If Google don't have this issue them self on their own devices and Oneplus has it... That would make the matter worse and should be raised to a higher priority because then it's something Oxygen OS breaks.

17. Swejuggalo

3. Indian devices was at one time offered the capability to choose between Feed or Shelf as a swipe from the side. According to me that would be the optimal solution. That options needs to come back and be offered to everyone.
    The same feed can just as well be accessed via the Google app. Shelf is only accessible one way. Most often people want either Feed or Shelf. I haven't really seen the need or demand of using both.

18. Swejuggalo

4. As far as I know this is because they want to stick with the basic Google variant. Unless I'm mistaken it's unaltered. They used to have a other navigation method from the corners... But... Then that started becoming rather close to Assistant gestures (that you don't seem to be able to turn off)

1618829640695.jpg

19. Swejuggalo

5. Seen complaints on that sometimes. Those periods I used stock launcher I never used that widget.
    I don't know how many timezones it can show. But too me it seems like they would need multiple sizes of the widget allowing multiple forms of the widget and not forcing local time or 4x empty timezone slots even if you won't use them.
    Like 1x5, 2x5, 3x4 and so on. If you want 2 time zones you select the version with 2 time zones. Don't want it select the smaller size widget.
    I'm not a fan of widgets at all so I get I haven't really put much weight on it.
    But will test widgets and stuff and see what I can come up with. Nova launcher has great ways to handle this (or at least last time I used it)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021

20. chandramoulipolavarapu , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 19, 2021 :
    1. Locking the screen layout is just a basic thing. We know there are multiple options in android ecosystem.
    Personally I don't tamper my phone xperience not by greater amount. I usually stick it with the stock features available in the phone.
    I will use third party apps, if there is a substantial improvement over stock apps.
    In Op launcher: there are some customisation made available. If there are no customisations, I wouldn't have argued with them . But coming from color OS 11. I know how good it is in terms of better customisations inbuilt in
    OS instead of installing each seperate app for specific features.. I am not saying I need those. I liked the idea of simplicity. In the same way these minute issues/neglected features left me in anguish some times. said:

If u need something important in ur phone and u go back to search bar in ur launcher is flexible ?
    Bcos of ur actual icons in the home screen are either moved to next screen due to unusual edge detections !!!!! Or
    u just want one simple aspect which will lock ur home screen so that ur home screen un disturbed bcos of edge screen detections ??
    It is just a very baisc feature missed out in the op launcher.
    I can pay for some decent launchers.
    But but, it is not how u make user experience seamless !?!! 🥲🥲🥲