Oneplus 9 pro WTF via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 25, 2021 :
    WTF IS THIS
    water getting inside the phone , just little splash on the screen , to find out next day that water gets trapped in the camera system!!
    even my op7 pro can withstand washing under water without getting any damages
    How in the flyingfks the ip certified one get damaged from water drops on screen only!!
    Replace all my shit or give my money back
    Firstly, the buds are corrupted and now the phone drinking water!!!

Procent_ likes this.
  2. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 25, 2021

Best Answer
    TheMystic , Apr 25, 2021 :
    No company covers water damage. It is written in the T&C of every company.

Even though the device is expected to withstand water submersion, you are still advised not to try it.

IP68 isn’t foolproof. It doesn’t guarantee protection from water ingress. It only certifies that the device has the required safeguards in place (which may not work all the time).

4. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 25, 2021

They make it clear water damage is not covered under warranty.

Your best bet is to turn off the phone and put it in a bag of rice for a couple of days. And hope the water goes away without damaging any internals.

Procent_ and J1615493696774 like this.
  6. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 25, 2021 :
    And by the way nothing damaged just some water trapped under camera glass!!!
    But seeing that happens to a certified phone is bullshit
    While older devices by the same company without certification withstand drop in bucket of water
    How come!!

Procent_ likes this.
  7. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 25, 2021 :
    Idk why you're defending them like that
    Are you the defense lawyer?
    I know it's not covered by warranty , but being shitty like that and making IP68 certification worse than nothing that is a new level , come-on pay more for IP68 but anyway the ones without it will be better , the one that have it will be only on paper and you'll end up with water bottle instead of phone...
    Where are we going!
    It's intended to be resistant to submersion up to a maximum depth of 1.5m underwater for up to thirty minutes
    Not to be splash destroyed

5l4rtysCell and J1615493696774 like this.
  8. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 25, 2021

I'm not defending them. The fact that they don't cover liquid damage under warranty means the safeguards aren't foolproof. They know it better, so they don't cover it under warranty. That's also why they put the white filter paper that changes colour in multiple places to detect liquid ingress and deny warranty.

Earlier, they didn't get it certified to save $15 and keep prices low. From being that, they have moved to getting the certification and increasing the price by $50, because their objectives have changed.

9. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Apr 25, 2021 :
    Now it's clearly clear who is the fool here
    Then why in the hell there's something called rating and have multiple divisions one of it called IP68
    Just for fun and making jokes on people
    As it's the same with it or without it

10. jactommac
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2021

11. jactommac
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2021

jactommac , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 25, 2021 :
    Also water temp plays a large part in the rating. My wife dropped her iphone in a hot tub and the heat caused the seal to fail. If it was hot water that got on the phone it would fall outside of the very narrow spec of ip68.

Also, something to consider with military spec is that I'd doesn't mean it is the end all be all it just refers to it being the most cost effective (cheapest) materials to meet spec. This allows a lot of room for material failures.

Viraj Pnvs, the_o2 and B_Wrath like this.
  12. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 2, 2021 :
    1619984723299.jpg
    Ok now it's fkn traveling to the next camera + flashlight
    The build quality is shit/10
    Camera module moving noticably
    Alert slider moving and looks like it's pressable
    More shitz to be added to this thread
    And it's have nothing to do with water temperature any water splash or even the smallest drop if not wiped and dried asap it will go inside....

13. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 25, 2021 :
    After using it for awhile now , it's clearly due to the gaps around the camera module , so you can wash and do whatever with it underwater but make sure no water goes to the sides of the camera module
    If it happens , wipe it ASAP , if U didn't it will drink it
    THIS MOTHAFKN CAMERA IS THIRSTY

14. G_Barak_D
    Gingerbread May 25, 2021

G_Barak_D , May 25, 2021 :
    What about rain? Do you think this can happen then as well? I've used op7 pro in rain many times without any issues. I hope not because if it does cannot be used while raining this is a major downgrade comparing to op7 pro in that regard.

15. oTeMpLo
    Gingerbread May 25, 2021

oTeMpLo , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 25, 2021 :
    Just get phone replaced.

5l4rtysCell likes this.
  16. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 26, 2021 :
    Well I think rain will be a major problem if you didn't wipe any water droplets on the phone after using it and it travel's somehow to the camera module , you'll end up with a blurry camera for day or two
    For me I'm using it , as if it's not a certified phone wiping down any water from the phone body

I'm not sure and can't confirm if it's only a unit/batch malfunction or the whole line of OP9 PRO have this problem , that's why I opened this thread to see others experiences with this phone

and yes I still have and use my OP7 PRO and it's solid rock I can confirm washing it under heavy water won't do a thing to it , even if it's old phone and have no certification for water and dust resistance

17. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 26, 2021 :
    Well they might accept a return and replace if it's unit/batch problem ...
    But there's no authorized stores/maintenance stores and that's gives me no choice other than pre-order it form US

That's mean if any thing happen I need to ship it back and be responsible for shipping to and from US again and that process will take at least 15+ days which is very money/time consuming..

Thanks for replying , and it's just for sharing my experience and to see if other people run across any of the mentioned problems and to give a shout-out to oneplus for the old gold solid build quality

18. SamySandwich
    Donut May 26, 2021

SamySandwich , May 26, 2021 :
    Was it only water? Because soap or any cleaning fluid inside of the water will render the IP rating useless. Only "clean" water will be held back by the gasket.

19. ButterThatMatter , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 14, 2021 :
    It's a new device so no way it's been worn-out of what so ever chemical

It was a small amount of pure water that gets inside in a way telling that the phone has some gaps in the camera module so any liquid comes close to cam module must be wiped and dried out asap

Other than that I see no more gaps

Plus anyone have OP9 PRO can check that the camera module moves and is no fitted in a good way

20. 5l4rtysCell
    Gingerbread Jun 14, 2021

5l4rtysCell , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 14, 2021 :
    Just checked my 9 pro and nothing moves. I think your phone has a manufacturing error.