OnePlus 9 Series FAQs, answered by OnePlus staff

1. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert May 10, 2021

the_o2 , May 10, 2021 :
    Hey everyone,

This thread is a place where you can find answers to frequently asked questions about the OnePlus 9Pro, 9, and 9R or you can ask your own questions to see them answered. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the OnePlus 9 Series. These questions were collected by Moderators and Community Experts such as myself and were then answered by OnePlus official staff. If you have any additional questions about the OnePlus 9 Series, feel free to leave them in the comments below.

If you have questions about OxygenOS, you can check @Gary C.'s Oxygen FAQ here.

• Question: How do we know the 9 Pro changes the refresh rate between 1-120Hz or simply just sticks with 120Hz/60Hz?
      Answer: There is no built-in way to measure the display's refresh rate. The "Show Refresh Rate" function in Android's built-in developer options cannot display the actual refresh rate of the LTPO panel.

In theory, to check out the actual refresh rate, you'd have to use professional gear like a high-speed camera or an oscilloscope connected directly to the display panel.

Still, we can assure you the Fluid Display 2.0 of the OnePlus 9 Pro is based on LTPO technology and supports an adaptive refresh rate across all scenarios. This allows the display to automatically adapt to 24Hz or 30Hz when watching 24fps or 30fps videos. When displaying still pictures or texts, the refresh rate will be reduced to 5Hz or 1Hz. When playing games supported by Hyper Touch technology, it will switch to the exclusive 72Hz to provide the most responsive gaming experience.
    • Question: OnePlus 9 Series. Can I manually activate HDR in the video? Or is it on by default, when I select HDR in the general settings?
      Answer: On the OnePlus 9 Pro, thanks to the DOL-HDR technology, it's automatically enabled. On the OnePlus 9, you need to enable it in-camera settings manually.
    • Question: Will Warp Charge 30 adapters and an older fast charge my OnePlus 9 Series Device?
      Answer: Your OnePlus 9 Series will support charging at up to 18W with Warp Charge 30 and older adapters. Warp Charge 65 and Warp Charge 65T use a fundamentally different charging technology that relies on increased voltage, not just increased current, so the devices that have it are not able to take full advantage of previous chargers.
    • Question: Is Warp Charge 30 Wireless charger compatible with the OnePlus 9 Pro?
      Answer: Yes, the charger is compatible with the OnePlus 9 Pro and you can use it to charge the OnePlus 9 Pro at Warp Charge 30 Wireless charging speeds.
    • Question: OnePlus 9 Series is not compatible with the Google AR core. Will future updates solve this?
      Answer: We have worked with Google to sort this. Google AR is now working in recent updates.
    • Question: OnePlus 9 series has only 2 5G bands for India, is there a possibility to get more through software updates?
      Answer: No, this is not possible to update via software in the future. The Indian OnePlus 9 Series models only support 2 bands for 5G New Radio (NR).

The 5G bands on the OnePlus 9 series are decided based primarily on the priority of Indian carriers. The highest priority band is n78, which will be the most commonly deployed 5G bands in India and has the widest frequency that reflects the advantage of 5G transmission rate so far, then potentially n41 and other bands. Meanwhile, we will keep working closely with Indian carriers to monitor regional developments and continue improving our product and service so that OnePlus users can enjoy a fast and smooth 5G experience.
    • Question: When will the FPS meter be added to the OnePlus Gaming Mode?Answer: The feature rolled out in open beta testing for other devices already, we expect to update it for all users soon, kindly stay tuned!
    • Question: Why does the OnePlus 9 Indian Variant not have 15W wireless charging?
      Answer: Since OnePlus works with carrier partners in different sales regions to design and customize products, there may be differences in some features across different regions. This is why Wireless Charging is only available in the EU and NA models.
    • Question: Why OnePlus 9 does not have OIS?
      Answer: The OnePlus 9's main camera can capture very high-quality photos and videos even without OIS, thanks to the overall quality and optimizations of the sensor. OnePlus is committed to providing balanced, well-rounded products for our users, and we carefully consider every design decision–from the thickness and weight of the device to the interior structure and outer design–for the best overall user experience.
    • Question: When will the OnePlus Warp Charge 50 Wireless Charger come to stock in India?
      Answer: Our Go-to-market (GTM) team is working on getting the necessary certification so that the charger can be sold in India. We'll release it as soon as possible.
    • Question: File Dash is no longer available, has this been removed by the OnePlus 9 Series?
      Answer: In order to provide a more seamless file transfer experience across Android devices of all brands, we have replaced the "File Dash" feature with the "Nearby Share" feature provided by Google. You can go to Settings, click "Google," and click "Device Connections." Then, you can click "Nearby Share" to transfer files. The feature is also available directly from the Share menu. If the other device does not support Nearby Share, you can still transfer files via Bluetooth or other third-party applications.
    • Question: Will there be a screen protector available for the OnePlus 9 Pro?
      Answer: At this moment, we don't plan to release a first-party screen protector for the OnePlus 9 Pro.
    • Question: Why is there a plastic frame on the OnePlus 9 and 9R?
      Answer: OnePlus always focuses on a sleek design and seamless handfeel. To help reduce the overall weight of the OnePlus 9, we used a fiberglass-reinforced polymer frame with a newly developed metallization process that gives the frame a glossier look than is possible on a metallic frame. Meanwhile, the OnePlus 9 uses Gorilla Glass on the back with our most advanced CMF technologies to achieve an elegant and premium look.

The OnePlus 9R uses a metal frame.
    • Question: Can an option be brought in to allow the Shelf to be moved to the left of the screen 9 Series?
      Answer: No, Google Discover is available from that screen as part of Google's Communication suite. However, you can still access Shelf by swiping down anywhere on the home screen.
    • Question: Why can't a user connect to 5G in some countries. Is this unique to OnePlus and those countries' networks?
      Answer: 5G is a new technology and manufacturers and carriers need to work together to ensure you have the best experience. 5G will only work with the operator if 5G is enabled for that carrier on a software level. Some carriers are kept disabled until carrier testing or TAM (Telecom Applications Map) approval for that carrier is carried out.
    • Question: It seems like google will implement auto call recording, if this is true, will this reach current devices that come with Google comms suite?
      Answer: The Google dialer now supports automatic call recording with the V.63 version. To enable automatic call recording, you can upgrade your Google dialer on Play Store. Please note that automatic call recording is only available in India. Here is the path for reference: Open Dialer app - click the three dots in the upper right corner - Settings - Select "Call recording" to customize it., will be updated via Google Playstore for the India region only. It will be reaching all the devices soon with Google Comm Suite.
    • Question: Why is MEMC not working on YouTube, Netflix, and others. How to fix this on the 9 Pro?
      Answer: This issue has been fixed and will be merged into the next stable update. You can update your system to the latest version after receiving the push.
    • Question: Can users have the option of using OnePlus Dialer and Messages officially as an alternative to Google Dialler and Messages on the 9 Series?
      Answer: No. Currently, we don't have plans to provide official alternatives on the 9 Series. However, we are working with Google to offer the best experience with Google Dialer and Messages.
    • Question: Can users have the option of using OnePlus Dialer and Messages officially as an alternative to Google Dialler and Messages on the 9 Series?
      Answer: Since OnePlus works with carrier partners in different sales regions to design and customize products, there may be differences in some features across different regions.
    • Question: Can Warp Charge 65 Wireless Charger charge the OnePlus 8 Pro at 30W?
      Answer: Yes, the charger is compatible with the OnePlus 8 Pro and you can use it to charge the OnePlus 8 Pro at Warp Charge 30 Wireless charging speeds.
    • Question: Is there eSIM support for 9 Series or it will be added later via software updates?
      Answer: eSIM is hardware-based and cannot be added through software updates.
    • Question: Is Dual SIM Dual Active or Dual Standby?
      Answer: The OnePlus 9 Series supports Dual SIM Dual Standby.
    • Question: My OnePlus 9 is a T-Mobile Version. Will I get software updates directly from OnePlus or it will come through T-Mobile?
      Answer: Software updates will come directly from OnePlus.
    • Question: How much power is provided by the reverse wireless charging on the 9 and 9 Pro?
      Answer: The OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro support reverse wireless charging at up to 5W.
    • Question: What is the highest output resolution over HDMI on the OP9 Pro?
      Answer: HDMI out supports up to 7680 x 4320 at 30 Hz 30 bpp.
    • Question: What does 'R' stand for in OnePlus 9R?
      Answer: Racing.
    Feel free to share more questions in the comment below.

Never Settle!!

2. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow May 10, 2021

Shailender Sharma , May 10, 2021 :
    Good job! :)
    I was wondering for the FAQ's, answered by OnePlus staff.

You have covered many questions popping out daily on forums.

3. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar May 10, 2021

Tokolozi , May 10, 2021 :
    I always thought it was Rooster....

Anyways, thanks for the Q&A, I'm sure it'll be of great use!

4. MomZo
    Gingerbread May 10, 2021

MomZo , May 10, 2021 :
    Thanks for the initiative of this FAQ.

Could you please explain the differences between NA/GLO (AA), EU (BA) and India (DA) versions of Oxygen OS 11?
    I'm interested in an exhaustive list of all differences between each version (a table/chart might help)

5. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat May 10, 2021

northbay5566, Adil PM, SJBoss and 4 others like this.
  6. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow May 10, 2021

7. L1601400098635
    Cupcake May 10, 2021

8. bgjayanth
    Donut May 10, 2021

bgjayanth , via OnePlus 9R , May 10, 2021 :
    Hi, Just today I have received my OnePlus 9R and everything is awesome except the speaker. The issue is when I tried to play music and also when I am on speaker mode while on call the bck panel is vibrating and can't hold my mobile. Please check and resolve the issue

9. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean May 10, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , May 10, 2021 :
    I don't know but many questions Answered were on compatibility of old charger with new phones! Seems like OnePlus might remove them in future! I agree on some answers and on some i don't! But overall nice q&a for many to look for some enquires!

rasta_firasta and the_o2 like this.
  10. khelannn
    Froyo May 10, 2021

khelannn , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 10, 2021 :
    they would not help ....this is happening before pandemic so blames directly to the company service center....there was enough time to replace it before lockdown but they dont want to work so they keep on delaying

11. MunshiDanish
    Cupcake May 10, 2021

MunshiDanish , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 10, 2021 :
    Why is hypertouch not working with pubg after the update and when is 90fps pubg gameplay is not available..also my oneplus 9 pro heats a lot and battery drains also very fast..i have to charge it 3 times a day...??

AbdulRehman_09 and Aayushman2003 like this.

rasta_firasta and the_o2 like this.
  13. ady_agar
    Froyo May 10, 2021

14. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow May 10, 2021

Shailender Sharma , May 10, 2021 :
    This is by default. You can try tweaking the Scenario Based Enhancement Settings under Dolby Atmos®.

15. bgjayanth
    Donut May 10, 2021

bgjayanth , via OnePlus 9R , May 10, 2021 :
    Tried the same but did not work

16. R1620220331517
    Cupcake May 10, 2021

R1620220331517 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 10, 2021 :
    Hi team. I don't get notifications for Gmail - whenever I receive a mail for both my accounts, there's no notification. Also there's an App SGS posts for which I don't get notifications too. It was downloaded from Google Play only. Requesting you to resolve this issue.

ady_agar likes this.
  17. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 10, 2021

Bobbie63 , May 10, 2021 :
    Well there is not a single soul here that can help you right now. If direct support isn't available due to Covid, what results do you expect by spamming all over the forums? Can't say what happened before the lockdown as you didn't mention this but I can say, this isn't gonna help you now, this spamming.

Last edited: May 10, 2021

18. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar May 10, 2021

Tokolozi , May 10, 2021 :
    for gmail, you generally only get notifications for "important" mail depending on the app settings.

For the other app, make sure to set the battery optimisation settings of that app to "do not optimize"

19. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 10, 2021

Bobbie63 , May 10, 2021 :
    Nice initiative, thank you. :)

Racing??? Please.........! :p