OnePlus AMA Compilation (July 9, 2015)

1. D4rkFire
    Froyo Jul 9, 2015

D4rkFire , Jul 9, 2015 :
    The Reddit AMA can be a little hard to navigate so I compiled all the answers from OP to make it easier to read through. Link to the AMA itself:

A: Yes​

A: I can only tell you that under this OnePlus One there is a OnePlus 2 http://i.imgur.com/qdWzOZV.jpg (i.e. The OP2 is smaller than the OP1)​

A: Although the OnePlus 2 is smaller than the OnePlus One we've managed to pack almost 10% more juice: the OnePlus 2 will have a whooping 3300mAh battery!​

Camera-wise, we have a bunch of things that we believe will set the OnePlus 2 apart, but we'll leave the details for the launch :p

A: We recently released an OTA with fixes for touchscreen issues and from what we've seen the reception has been really good. For the OnePlus 2, there's been extensive (like, really extensive) testing all the way through the process and I'm confident our hardware and software guys are on top of things.​

A: Didn't somebody point out that those pics did not match? Like, it was 17cm in one and 14 in the other? On the soft/cap key layout - what would you prefer?​

A: I've been running Oxygen on my One since it came out and yeah - it's quite barebones for now, but I've been happy with the performance. For the OnePlus 2, there's a slew of added features. Honestly, really a lot of good stuff, and a lot of thinking (and heated debating - one of the really sweet things about this company is that you actually do get to have an opinion and argue for it) has gone into it. Like we've said before, we're looking to keep it clean, close to stock with some added customization options and a few of our own little tweaks.​

Oxygen is turning out to be a really solid product. I know you asked for specifics, but I've gotta leave you hanging there for another 2~ weeks. :)

A:We have a solution in place that will satisfy everyone.​

A: I think we'll make you both happy.​

A: Soon™​

A: Our early supporters will be prioritized. Details to come soon.

A: we'll make sure early forum members get rewarded :)

A: The design & build. The OnePlus 2 is a big step up here.​

A: The dev community has been extremely kind to us, partly - I think - because we've been all about giving back where we can, keeping our platform open and accessible, and encouraging the curiosity that makes Android what it is. That's how it should be.​

A: Heartrate sensor (sorry)​

A:We'll have an app for you to download and enjoy the keynote, with a VR and without.​
    A: Hardware has been locked for a while. We're just about to exit design verification stage, still tweaking the last few fit & finish details but no major design changes.
    A: Yes, it will still be available.

A:The OxygenOS team is working to bring this to the OnePlus 2, but it's very likely that this will arrive after the launch via OTA.
    Regarding the band support, we'll have two global models with the following band support:
    US GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/8 FDD-LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/7/8/12/17
    Europe GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/5/8 FDD-LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20​
    A: Wireless charging is not very efficient (really slow)...​

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015

2. D4rkFire
    Froyo Jul 9, 2015

D4rkFire , Jul 9, 2015 :
    A: I've seen a few questions like this. Guys, you know how exchange offers work right?
    Collect all the phones, then sell them cheaply to a third party that freshens them up and sells them in other markets. We wouldn't be able to offer a good discount, and it's much better for you to just sell on Craigslist or Swappa.
    Not saying we won't do this in the future, just saying it's normally not a great deal for the consumer.​

A: Europe/Asia, North America and China versions with much better band support than last time.​

A: It'll be a physical sensor.​

A: The camera is l e g i t. But so is everything else. No joke, I'm super keen on this phone.​

A: And a yo to you good sir. Some of the PA boys are indeed on board with us at the office (see previous AMAs with them specifically) and they're doing a swell job with Oxygen. I'm running Oxygen right now; before then I was rocking both PA, CM, PAC or Slim depending on what I felt like.​

A: I want to set some expectations regarding Indian pricing.
    1. The duties for imported smartphone was recently increased significantly. +6% if I remember correctly.
    2. INR is not doing well vs. USD, and most of the world still trades in USD.

A: Later on, but much faster than last year :)

A: Design, build quality, user experience.​

A: Yeah, more info soon.​

A: Camera is improved, but to be fair, the OnePlus One had a great camera sensor. The Sony IMX214. We could have done a lot better on the software. This time we have a Taipei engineering office with a lot of ex HTC camera guys. Fingers crossed.​

A: We love our fans and we'll make sure OnePlus users will get an easy access to OP2 invites. Stay tuned!​

A: OP1 will receive continued support. We're ramping up the team so we can support multiple devices at the same time.

A: It will last less than last year :)

A: Like touch ID​

A: We'll support the 800MHz band.​

A: Yes. (OP showing their humorous side hahaha)
    A: Our service has a long way to go, definitely. Reading about us on reddit and our forums, you'd think 80% of our devices have problems, when in reality it's in the very low single digits. Our users are very digital and vocal. It's a more difficult crowd to please in the short run, but in the long run, they help us to improve and run forward much faster.
    A: I agree & there have been improvements lately. Still a long way to go before we can be proud of this.
    A: Yes, OnePlus is all the community. We will definitely reward early supporters and loyal users with invites :) More details soon
    A: From launch we will have 5 available​
    A: Easier than anything out there.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

3. Flywhiz101
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 9, 2015

Flywhiz101 , Jul 9, 2015 :
    This is awesome. Thanks!
    Wi-Fi calling and band 2/12 are a HUGE turn on for me
    considering the iPhone 6+ doesn't even have band 12
    I love you guys

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

MustBeTrippin and aneesimran like this.
  4. ogriff
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2015

5. Rolodex
    Marshmallow Jul 9, 2015

OALEXANDER and D4rkFire like this.
  6. Lilmoe611
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2015

Marlon likes this.
  7. feluda
    Lollipop Jul 9, 2015

BLK911 likes this.
  8. D4rkFire
    Froyo Jul 9, 2015

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

Rolodex likes this.
  9. TeamValor91
    Community Veteran Jul 9, 2015

10. Deactivated User
    Jul 9, 2015

jdm001, pmartins78 and ShaneH2735 like this.
  11. t0astywombat
    Donut Jul 9, 2015

t0astywombat , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Can anybody with a more broad understanding of LTE bands inform me of how compatible the OPT is with AT&T's network?

Or if it is compatible at all?
    Much appreciated.

12. ShaneH2735
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2015

ShaneH2735 , Jul 9, 2015 :
    I think the reason they do invites in they can control the amount of orders they will receive. I know they could do this with a limited pre order number however they cannot control who orders. Ie an early member who has been on the forums etc did not get to order but someone new was lucky and got ahead of him. Just my 2 cents however. Thought?

meatandy likes this.
  13. Ukali
    Jelly Bean Jul 9, 2015

Ukali , Jul 9, 2015 :
    Thanks for the compilation :)
    Makes me a little more hyped altough i don't have much time.. Hope to get an invite fast to replace my one with broken ips :/

14. Martin Hotmann
    Community Veteran Jul 9, 2015

Martin Hotmann , Jul 9, 2015 :
    AT&T 4G HSPA and HSPA+ use 850Mhz(Band 5) and 1900Mhz(Band 2)

So you will not have any problems, since the US Edition supports:

US GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz WCDMA: Bands:1/2/4/5/8 FDD-LTE: Bands:1/2/4/5/7/8/12/17

Both! ;)

BLK911 likes this.
  15. JeanThea
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2015

16. D4rkFire
    Froyo Jul 10, 2015

D4rkFire , Jul 10, 2015 :
    Yup the OPT is fully compatible with AT&T's network. In the case of the OPO, it was missing LTE bands 2 and 5. While this didn't prevent the phone from being usable on AT&T's network, it meant that sometimes you wouldn't get as fast LTE speeds if you were in a congested area.

This time around with the OPT however, they included the missing LTE bands so you'd be good to go!

17. Deactivated User
    Jul 10, 2015

18. Tryminator
    Honeycomb Jul 10, 2015

Tryminator , Jul 10, 2015 :
    Thx :)

19. Deactivated User
    Jul 10, 2015

20. patstar5
    Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2015