OnePlus and the lies

1. gyan0621
    Froyo May 25, 2019

gyan0621 , May 25, 2019 :
    mm86444

...and now you've completely changed the topic. So what's the issue again?

We were discussing the drama behind the 3x zoom and your misunderstanding on Jerry's opinion of the heatpipes, not picture quality between different phones. Don't jump topics.

now i won't say anything all the tech Youtuber and bloggers are saying the same just admit it. they did it again the gimmick is back.

and about the 10 layer cooling

https://youtu.be/M7lBJ2XoDZM

Last edited: May 25, 2019

malidan likes this.
  2. mm86444
    Froyo May 25, 2019

mm86444 , May 25, 2019 :
    Alright let's settle this once and for all because you're so adamant in parroting misinformation. Btw your Youtuber only repeated the same information every other YouTuber and news outlet trying to capitalize on the drama wave, so you've provided nothing new nor substantial to this discussion.

Here's a quote from the guy who actually started the whole drama about the zoom lense after discussing how OP justified their claims:

"The main lens/sensor is 26mm rounded upwards, and OnePlus used the Ultrawide angle as (0.6x) of that main sensor. The math is centered on the main lens.

Edit: So yeah, Wide angle is 17mm like you said, 26mm on main, and **claimed** 78mm on the telephoto (35mm equivalent lens numbers).

OnePlus centers the math around the main lens, so 17mm is 0.6x, and Telephoto is 3x."

So if the guy who set off the entire drama admits the math is sits with how OP calculated the 3x zoom, surely you can settle down and realize you got conned by listening to Youtubers seeking to nab a chunk of advertising on your behalf by jumping on the drama train and rehashing the same, incorrect information.

They don't actually care what OP said/didnt say. Lets be real here. They just want your sweet cash in their pocket for the advertising you subject yourself to by watching them rehash the same source of misinformation over and over again.

Do your research. Don't rely on Youtubers to give you factual information unless you can confirm they're qualified in the subject at hand.

Link: Your misinterpretation of how many times an image...

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/co...isnt_wrong/eonyg2q?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

FAFM9 and FlixbusLennart like this.
  3. malidan
    Marshmallow May 25, 2019

malidan , May 25, 2019 :
    You guys crack me up
    Dude it's a con, it's not 3x optical, if it was 3x optical they wouldn't change their marketing.
    The fact they have changed their marketing means you are now defending what they nolonger claim.
    Just the same as on the 6/T the specs went from
    Water resistant
    To
    Splash proof
    To
    Nothing.
    OP are as shady as hell, they just keep doing the same things.

As for the 10 layer cooling that too is a gimmick, with the 2 Jerry couldn't add in for fun being.
    .Hot air
    .Users hand.
    There certainly isn't anymore hardware.

The video @gyan0621 posted clearly shows this supposed 10 layer system, has still not stopped a OP device from being amongst if not the hottest running a top tier SOC.

Why don't you ask OP to verify the 10 layers before defending that which can not be defended.

gyan0621 likes this.
  4. malidan
    Marshmallow May 25, 2019

malidan , May 25, 2019 :
    Which other phones look horrendous zooming in at their quoted distances?

5. mm86444
    Froyo May 25, 2019

mm86444 , May 25, 2019 :
    "it's not 3x optical zoom"

Dude, I literally gave the quote and source from the same exact person who made the initial claims about the 3x zoom that spread around the news. You read the whole thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/bsific/why_oneplus_3x_zoom_advertised_isnt_wrong/

Same. Exact. Guy.

You want to tell me that despite his/her admission, you won't come to terms that perhaps OP wasn't lying about the zoom? That the guy who started this entire drama shitshow about a zoom lense, admitted that the way OP calculated and justified their 3x optical zoom is correct?

If you can't arrive to that rational conclusion by yourself, no one can help you.

And I really don't care how many layers there are. My point is that the original poster claimed Jerry found only 4 layers and not 10, therefore OP lied. Which is completely wrong and its hilarious that somehow you're convinced of the same, wildly incorrect claim.

Jerry says without a repair guide, he doesn't know what the 10 layers are. Full stop. If you can't wrap your head around that fact, again, I can't help you.

Feel free to continue crying about truly the most superficial things if that makes any of you feel better at night. The facts are there and its up to you to decide on how you wanna act upon them. I've said what I needed to, as this discussion has clearly run its course.

Btw added a screenshot in case you were too lazy to check for yourself that OP didn't remove the optical zoom marketing from their website. But hey, you don't have to believe it.

Peace.
    1558789398474.jpg

asasione and Discostu like this.
  6. KTaylor62
    Gingerbread May 25, 2019

KTaylor62 , May 25, 2019 :
    honestly i feel most phones look grainy when zooming in. ive seen the p30 pro samples and those are good. and the iPhone xs Max is solid. outside of those I'm not really impressed by the zoom on any phone

7. bhaumikbheda
    Gingerbread May 25, 2019

bhaumikbheda , May 25, 2019 :
    It is called being active in the community and not dumb! And no, I am not mad because I am in no way working for OnePlus that I need to support them.
    I agree the number of stores maybe less but that doesn't mean you can create a thread for whatever you want to say.
    please try understanding how forums work and don't act stupid by pulling out on everyone. you are not being heard by OnePlus at all, everyone here is a OnePlus user not employee.

8. Moin2200
    KitKat May 25, 2019

Moin2200 , May 25, 2019 :
    Dude if people enjoy the phone at the end of the day isn't that enough?

9. malidan
    Marshmallow May 25, 2019

malidan , May 25, 2019 :
    I never heard anyone say the others look grainy, but I have certainly heard them say OP's is.

10. malidan
    Marshmallow May 25, 2019

malidan , May 25, 2019 :
    Read OP's statements since the revelation, all they have said is 3 x zoom with no loss, they never said 3 x optical zoom.
    The link you posted to reddit proves nothing as most have debated against what the OP said, who is using the size of the wide angle lens to make the equation up to 3 x optical zoom.
    I don't remember anyone saying that OP uses 2 lens to produce 3x zoom, so I'm confused as to why he is calculating the zoom using the width of the wide angle camera.

Posting the OP specs page is not proof, do you know how many times they have removed specs that proved to be incorrect?

Water resistant
    Stereo speakers
    2 X OPTICAL ZOOM
    :D

11. F_Lars_Dennert_NbST
    Gingerbread May 25, 2019

F_Lars_Dennert_NbST , May 25, 2019 :
    I don't believe the revised analysis on Reddit is an accurate way to look at it either. I posted in another thread how I tested the optical magnification of the lenses independent of camera mp or crop. my conclusion from measurements was that the telephoto magnification was 2.2x the normal lens. also the telephoto magnification is 2.9x the wide lens. to me this is a roughly 3x total optical zoom from full wide to full tele.

malidan likes this.
  12. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer May 26, 2019

FlixbusLennart , May 26, 2019 :
    Now there are two(-hundred) of them...

Budruel likes this.
  13. mm86444
    Froyo May 26, 2019

mm86444 , May 26, 2019 :
    Someone argued that OP was no longer marketing 3x optical zoom. I provided a screenshot of the OnePlus 7 Pro's product page that still shows 3x times zoom being marketed. The end. Not difficult to understand.

If a Reddit posted isn't enough for you, here's Android Central admitting they made a mistake in jumping on the drama wagon against OP about the camera and confirmed that OP's advertising wasn't misleading nor false.

https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-7-pro-telephoto-lens

I also suggest you read this careful, really careful, and then settle down with your outrage:

https://www.somegadgetguy.com/2019/...l-zoom-why-generic-consumer-measurements-suck

To quote the article:
    "Anyone trotting out an argument that somehow we're being cheated off the "proper" zoom effect on a OnePlus is either unfamiliar with the physics of lenses, or is lazily reporting on something they know will generate outrage traffic."

seiadoon, Discostu and RockyJo like this.
  14. malidan
    Marshmallow May 26, 2019

malidan , May 26, 2019 :
    Your clutching at straws now dude.
    The CEO in his Reply made sure he did not mention optical zoom and if you look at the 2 main threads with OP staff interaction you will find they quoted 2 different figures for zoom.
    So they dont even know themselves.

Did you read the Android police article?
    All that is mention is 3 x zoom with no DIGITAL loss, not 3 x optical zoom:tearsofjoy:

It looks like Juan Bagnells article has been taken down if you didnt post a dead link:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    I wonder why.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 26, 2019

15. Blue-agila
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 26, 2019

Blue-agila , May 26, 2019 :
    My advice to you is stay off YouTube. Its full of "Fake News" or people trying to gain advertising revenue.

mm86444 and elanglois like this.
  16. J1542606030006
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

J1542606030006 , May 26, 2019 :
    It is funny how every other critical YouTube videos and websites are deemed worthless, but this one website blog written by a guy named Juan, is like a holy Grail that explains everything. Meanwhile, not a single reputable tech website has come forward and backed up that claim. OnePlus has yet to make any official statement either.

For most folks, all this should not matter too much if they already have the phone in their hands, tried it, and like what they are seeing with their own eyes, not judging by numbers on a spec sheet.

However, for many people on the fence who have yet to buy the phone and tried it for themselves, it is not a good sign, and no matter how some people come to the rescue in defense of OnePlus in these forums, it matters very little in the end, once the general public( which are consisted of vast majority that are not tech savvy) forms a conception that OnePlus is a company that keeps lying and deceiving.

Many folks sell or trade in their phones before buying a new one. Therefore, it is imperative that they feel comfortable and confident in knowing that they will not be inconvenienced with issues once they commit to a new phone. This issue is a serious one.

OnePlus must clarify the error in the spec sheet and make the necessary change to it accordingly with a public apology. That is how a company keeps public trust and confidence.

17. elanglois
    Lollipop May 26, 2019

elanglois , May 26, 2019 :
    Clarify what? That there is no moving lens that can zoom in on something in a phone? No kidding?

What it comes down to is simple. Is the zoom calculated in software or is it done with hardware and optics? The answer is that its all done with optics. I don't see a foul.

Anyone care to test that USB port and see if you can get USB 3 speeds?

18. Loveit
    Jelly Bean May 26, 2019

Loveit , May 26, 2019 :
    I see your profile picture no longer has you wearing a OnePlus T-Shirt.

Dammit OnePlus if you lose Elangois' trust things are going very downhill.

19. elanglois
    Lollipop May 26, 2019

elanglois , May 26, 2019 :
    LOL. They haven't sent me one in awhile. But ... I didn't just update the profile image (thanks for noticing), but upgraded my 3T to a 7 Pro ... so they must have earned something from me [e]1f603[/e]

Loveit likes this.
  20. mm86444
    Froyo May 26, 2019

mm86444 , May 26, 2019 :
    @malidan

Ah, really happy you mentioned Android Police. I did read it. But perhaps you should revisit the article, because they also updated their article yesterday to admit that they were incorrect:

"It's come to our attention that there are a lot of misconceptions out there about how focal length optics work in photography, and unfortunately it appears we were operating under one of those misconceptions. In short, "cropping" an image to produce an effective amount of "zoom" should produce an image that has optical characteristics identical to those of an image shot at an equivalent "true" zoom using lens optics alone. So, the OnePlus 7 Pro's 3x crop-zoom images should look like images from a "true" 3x optical system - OnePlus is just sacrificing camera resolution to get there. We're sorry for advancing that misconception and we regret the error. We spoke to multiple people - including in off the record conversations - that led us to believe we were correct, but as we've researched more and continued to look at feedback from readers, it's apparent we're not."

Whoops. Now you showed me another news source to admit they were wrong and apologized for spreading their misconception to people such as yourself.

The link wasn't taken down, I wrote out the URL with HTTPS incorrectly. Here's the correct link, where you'll happily see that they didn't take anything down.

http://somegadgetguy.com/2019/05/24...-zoom-why-generic-consumer-measurements-suck/

Just because "optical" was omitted from a statement =/= they've changed their marketing. Changing their marketing encompasses updating their actual marketing in the form of product information, advertisements, and more. If they do that, then you can argue successfully that they have.

Let's review here:
    1. The guy, /u/ImKuya, is the source that all other news outlets reported on initially claiming OP lied about the zoom lense. He/she later admits that OP was correct in their claims on 3x optical zoom.
    2. Android Central releases a statement from their editor, admitting they were incorrect after proper research and apologize for spreading misinformation.
    3. Thanks to you for this discovery, now Android Police's editor admits they were wrong and apologize for spreading misinformation.

This is the biggest issue that's incredibly concerning: entire issue started from /u/ImKuya's post on Reddit.

This. Whole. Issue. Started. On. Reddit.

Go ahead, check the news outlet's sources (like Android Central, for example). They directly link to /u/ImKuya's unverified post without doing additional research. Everyone else gobbles it up and spreads the misconception around, generating unnecessary outrage. Now the same outlets did their research afterwards and found that they incorrectly reported OP lied to customers and subsequently apologized for it. Never mind the fact /u/ImKuya admits OP was right in their claims.

No straws here to clutch. Just facts. I hope this is enough information for you to see the writing on the wall and admit, you let yourself get caught up in unnecessary internet outrage. Peace homie.

Last edited: May 26, 2019