Oneplus Buds Pro stopped working after firmware upgrade

1. gvv007
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2021

gvv007 , Dec 3, 2021 :
    same issue after update. After replacement i got new Buds. With HeyMelody updated and Buds dead again. Smartphone Xiaomi MI9

2. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Writers' Club Dec 3, 2021

Starcommander , Dec 3, 2021 :
    Get it replaced. Faced the same issue.

umikam likes this.
  3. mystiqu
    Donut Dec 3, 2021

mystiqu , Dec 3, 2021 :
    Same here, brand new plugs - begun by updating the firmware using Hey Melody - got a message stating the update was successful.

Then I couldn't connect to the buds anymore - they are completely dead, have tried to factory-reset multiple times but it does not help.

How can they even release firmware update which renders your buds bricked?
    Sure, I have warranty - but it's bloody annoying....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021

O1616471387244 likes this.
  4. altruisticblack
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2021

altruisticblack , Dec 3, 2021 :
    Had the same issue, got a replacement. Having to wait another week is annoying but I can deal with it.

Don't know why the hell you would release a update that bricks your product though how somebody didn't catch this or fix it by now is beyond me....

5. Q1638612362799
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

Q1638612362799 , Dec 4, 2021 :
    I have the same issue, brand new OnePlus Pro Buds, updated and not working anymore, the case shows green light when is empty, red light if I put any bud or the two buds,
    Tried to reset several times but still the same, fully charged after a full day connected to the charger and still the same, OnePlus Pro Buds are just dead :(
    a lot of people have the same issue:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-buds-pro-update-was-unsuccessful.1523093/
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/how-do-i-connect-the-buds-pro-after-firmware-update.1523643/
    Where is OnePlus support? I can't believe this

6. Gor.
    New Star of Community Award 2021 Dec 4, 2021

Gor. , Dec 4, 2021 :
    Hey there,

Unfortunately, you are asking for OnePlus Support in the wrong place. This is simply a user forum only. If you wish to contact support, check out the following link for all the available mediums (change to your suitable region at the bottom of the page).
    You can also report the issue through the feedback tool below:
    You can try the above and hope there's someone who'll look into ASAP. As users, sadly that's all we can do.

7. R1638230290582
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

R1638230290582 , Dec 4, 2021 :
    wow, bricked with the first update within an hour of unboxing 😔
    I guess I'll get a refund and be a first and last time customer of OnePlus.

8. mystiqu
    Donut Dec 4, 2021

mystiqu , Dec 4, 2021 :
    I actually expect OnePlus employees to be involved in their own forum to see what the community likes/dislikes and also common issues. That way they can easily report back to the various teams/departments what's working and not.

Releasing a firmware that bricks your device is beyond catastrophe - someone has ignored some very basic testing!

9. umikam
    Donut Dec 4, 2021

umikam , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 4, 2021 :
    I understand what you say. But when I contacted the support, they asked me to report in the forum and stay tuned with it. But I don't see anyone from Oneplus actually checking these or replying. Won't the Oneplus technical support team check on the posts in the forum?

Gor. likes this.
  10. bradleyb
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

bradleyb , Dec 4, 2021 :
    Same issue here. It will only pair if I try to pair it with only the left earbud on. It will not enter pairing mode otherwise. I already applied for a RMA for replacement.

11. Gor.
    New Star of Community Award 2021 Dec 5, 2021

Gor. , Dec 5, 2021 :
    Your point is absolutely bang one! That is what has always been suggested by fellow users for years to a few active members of staff here in the forum, but unfortunately we don't see a big change yet in their interest of having a big, active team overseeing the opinions and climate here.

The only way to write to them at the moment is through using the 'submit suggestion' option available in the feedback section where one can hope that they actually read and work on improving the flaws.

They can seriously learn a lot to learn about user behavior, tastes and preferences, and present issues by just considering the community inputs.

12. Gor.
    New Star of Community Award 2021 Dec 5, 2021

Gor. , Dec 5, 2021 :
    That is one of the biggest flaws of the CS team. This forum is not meant for customer support. How can users here work on solving something technical which only the concerned OnePlus software teams can, who are not all present here! This is something they should raise internally and not direct you here unless they directed you report this as a bug under the feedback section.

umikam likes this.
  13. mystiqu
    Donut Dec 5, 2021

mystiqu , Dec 5, 2021 :
    You're in the wrong forum thread - this thread is for users whose buds are completely dead after the latest firmwere update.

14. bradleyb
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2021

bradleyb , via OnePlus 5T , Dec 5, 2021 :
    Completely dead or half dead, it's still an unusable product after getting bricked. Paid for 2 working earbuds so both should be working.

15. mystiqu
    Donut Dec 5, 2021

mystiqu , Dec 5, 2021 :
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S11, Android 11
    App: Hey Melody, v100.0.21

The app finished with "update successful", but then they buds were both dead.

TibiTibi likes this.
  16. mystiqu
    Donut Dec 5, 2021

mystiqu , Dec 5, 2021 :
    If course, just send them back if you still have warranty - I'm returning mine tomorrow :)
    One dead bud (if it's the left bud) is a known hardware issue and as far as I know there is no fix for it other than to replace them.

17. umikam
    Donut Dec 5, 2021

umikam , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2021 :
    True that one earphone not working is a known problem. But this one seems to be a faulty firmware upgrade, which has caused the buds to not work.

18. umikam
    Donut Dec 5, 2021

umikam , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2021 :
    Can I also ask everyone that is facing this issue, which app did you all use to upgrade the firmware? Oneplus Buds app in Oneplus phones or the HeyMelody app?

19. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Community Expert Dec 5, 2021

TibiTibi , Dec 5, 2021 :
    I use the buds with Oneplus 8T so I don't need the Hey melody. Maybe it or the fw has issues.

Could you find a oneplus phone near? Maybe you can try pairing with it and maybe also rewriting the firmware.

Yeah, many maybe.

If the buds are not visible for bluetooth do not hesitate to contact the support.

20. R1638230290582
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2021

umikam likes this.