2. No

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. razzor228
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2020

razzor228 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    OnePlus Bullets Wireless Thread.jpg

Hello Community!

Hope all of you are in the loop of what's been cooking at OnePlus lately! This week, OnePlus officially announced the addition of a TWS earphone to its audio product line called “OnePlus Buds!” The first look and some key details were revealed by @Pete in a follow-up post. In case you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it.

I had this thread planned for quite some time now, but with the recent announcement, I had to get it done on priority. Initially, I had planned on making a review comparing the BW1, BW2 and the BWZ, since I owned all 3 of them, but my BW2 failed on me before I could start working on the review.

If you’re active on Social Media or the OnePlus Community you must have seen some renders made by Max J. that have been circulating around. He has been extensively leaking stuff about OnePlus potentially launching a TWS Earphones for the past couple of months now.

Below is the render made by Max J. where he showcased how they might look like.

Max J Render.jpg

Also, OnePlus recently teased the OnePlus Buds here on the Forums and dropped some major details about them. Based on @Pete 's Thread we have the following information.

• Ergonomic Design
    • Up to 30 hrs Battery Life - 7 hrs+ from the Buds and more than times from the charging case (21hrs+) giving a cumulative of up to 30hrs Battery Life
    • The Buds weigh just 4.6 grams and the Charging case weighs just 36 grams
    • Ultra Low-Latency with OnePlus devices

OnePlus Pods Announcement.png

With the OnePlus Buds launching alongside the OnePlus Nord later next week, I thought of kickstarting a discussion based on

• What are you expecting from the new OnePlus Buds?
    • How will it compare to the previous generations?
    • Will they be affordable?
    • What features will it have?

To give you a refresher and have a more clear picture of what to expect, I would like to take you guys back in time, when the first OnePlus Bullets Wireless launched.

Bullets Wireless 1

OnePlus Bullets Wireless 1.jpg

It’s been more than 2 years since the Bullets Wireless 1 launched in India alongside the OnePlus 6 on May 21, 2018. With OnePlus, already succeeding in making a good quality pair of Wired Earphones - The OnePlus Bullets (V2), it only made sense for them to get into the Wireless Earphones category. This came at a time when the True Wireless Earphones were gaining popularity with the new prototypes being showcased at the CES 2015 from brands like Bragi with their new Bragi Dash. The expected price for it was around 400$ which is quite a lot of money for most individuals. But this is the case with any new technology, the cost is always higher when trying to adopt it. And, a Brand which has focussed on making premium hardware accessible to all via an affordable price; it might have not made a lot of sense for them to launch an expensive True Wireless Earphone that might have cost 300-400$. So, they made an obvious choice and took baby steps and launched their new Bullets Wireless line-up.

The Bullets Wireless 1 was a complete package when it came to the features it had. Although it failed to impress a lot of audiophiles with the sound quality, it sounded decent with some compromises. Enough with the criticism let’s have a short look at them:

Design:

OnePlus Bullets Wireless 1 Design.jpg

Back when it was launched, a lot of people talked about its uncanny resemblance to the Beats X Wireless Earphones. Although it did have some similarities like the integrated mic layout or the magnetic earbuds it was in no way like the Beats X. The premium looking glossy metal earbuds housing and the red accents on the back of it looked great. Also, in the box were three sets of ear tips or wings as you might like to call them. These ear tips helped to give a tighter and more secured fit in your ears. They helped a lot, particularly while doing any physical activity or during a lot of movement.

Coming on to the neckband, it was made up of silicone and wasn’t particularly huge. I really love neckband style wireless earphones because it’s like a “hang it and forget it” kind of a scenario. I generally have my earphones around my neck at all times so they ended up being very comfortable to use. The earphones were also kind of light-weight and did not fall quite easily owing to the ear tips and the grippy silicone neckband.

Performance:

OnePlus Bullets Wireless 1 Performance.gif

To be honest these did not sound great. But they were perfect for my use case. My main expectation from it was good battery life and excellent connectivity, which it excelled at. It did lack bass, the bass wasn’t punchy or thumping like one would expect it to be. It was subtle, but it was there. That aside, everything else was great, the mids and highs were on par if not better than what you might expect from a similarly priced pair.

Now coming on to the actual positives of it. The connectivity was great which meant that I could listen to music and attend work calls with ease even when my phone was halfway across the room charging or just sitting somewhere. Apart from this, I really loved the quick connect feature, it saves a lot of battery and a lot of effort in having to connect it every now and then. With 2-3 hours of daily usage, it lasts up to 5 days without having to charge it again. Since the BW1 had the Dash Charge Technology, the charging was also quite quick.

Now comes the successor to the Bullets Wireless 1 - The Bullets Wireless 2

Bullets Wireless 2

OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2.jpg

The Bullets Wireless 2 was launched just over a year ago alongside the 7 Series and was priced considerably higher than its predecessor at Rs.5990 or $99. It was the first wireless earphones to be launched with Warp Charge Technology. OnePlus claimed, “Charge for 10 minutes and Play for 10 hours.” This claim held true and also offered a great battery life of 14 hours. Even though the BW2 came with upgraded internals and better performing hardware: Knowles Drivers and Aptx HD, it did not translate well into daily usage. Hence, in my opinion, the price increase when compared to the BW1 isn't justified.

Design:

OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 Design.jpg

Although they are identical to the BW1, there are a couple of differences. The BW2 had ditched the wings/ear tips in favour of a more ergonomic fit. Also, the magnetic contact surface of the earbuds had significantly reduced which made it very difficult for the buds to stay put when not in use. With all these design changes brought to the BW2, I always perceived the BW1 to be more comfortable to wear even though it lacked the audio performance of the BW2. Although I couldn’t pinpoint it to a specific issue, I assume it was mainly due to the lack of the ear tips which actually did a great job of allowing for a more secure fit or maybe because of the weight.

The neckband is almost the same as the previous-gen but just a tad bit larger to accommodate for the bigger battery. I liked the fact that not much had changed here and they continued with the same tried and tested approach with their neckband.

Performance:

OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 Performance.jpg

The dual Knowles balanced armature drivers and the individual 10mm dynamic driver surely improved the listening experience. The Bass department saw a major overhaul when compared to the BW1. BW1’s were quite famous for their flat bass as reported by a number of users. Although, I would have loved to see something which had the performance of the BW2 with the form factor and design of the BW1. It would have been like the best of both worlds. With the more than adequate bass, the highs, the mids and the lows were perfectly fine on the BW2. I just would have loved to use it more often if it was not for the uncomfortable fit. I have owned my pair of BW2 ever since it was launched but I haven’t used them for more than 10 hours in total over the year just because I don’t find them to be comfortable enough.

Now comes the latest addition to the Bullets Wireless line up launched alongside the 8 Series - The Bullets Wireless Z.

Bullets Wireless Z

OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z Teal.jpg

OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z Oat.jpg OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z Black.jpg OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z Blue.jpg

With all the leaks going on that OnePlus is finally launching a Truly Wireless Earphones, everyone assumed the BWZ might be the one. But much to everyone else’s amusement OnePlus launched a much more affordable version of the Bullets Wireless 2 at one-third of the cost. Although they look a lot more alike, for you to assume they are almost the same, there are quite a lot of differences.

Design:

OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z Design.jpg

The BWZ shares quite a lot of resemblance to its predecessor (I am not quite sure, we should be calling it that). Out goes the heavy all-metal aluminium alloy housing found on the previous two generations of the Bullets Wireless and In comes the lightweight all-plastic housing on the BWZ. Even though they might feel a bit cheap because of the plastic build, they have good build quality. OnePlus managed to adopt user feedback and increase the contact surface on the earbuds where the magnets connect. Although I haven’t tried doing any major physical activity with them on, they surely have a much better grip and stay connected while I do my daily chores (Mopping, Cleaning, Washing Dishes - “Lockdown Blues”)

Performance:

OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z Performance.jpg

With an appearance quite similar to the BW2 the BWZ have a huge difference which can be mainly observed under the hood. OnePlus decided to let go of the two Knowles armatures driver and the single 10mm dynamic driver and replaced it with a single 9.2mm driver. That’s two drivers less on each side. Though it might feel like there will be a huge impact on the performance, that isn’t the case. The Bass on the BWZ packs a punch and is quite a bit louder than the BW2, which is quite surprising, to be honest. I never expected them to be this awesome. Apart from the sound quality, OnePlus managed to pack in one more surprise - The Battery Life! The BWZ manages a commendable 20hours+ battery life and the same 10-minute charge and 10 hour playback time using Warp Charge. With the inclusion of an official IP55 Rating, I am proud to declare it as my “Dish Washing Companion”. Also, if you’re a mobile gamer, the Low Latency Mode with 110ms response time, will be very useful for all those times when you have an enemy sneak up on you!

Well, if you have been reading the entire thread, you might have noticed how I criticised the fit of the BW2. But surprisingly enough I feel the BWZ to be more comfortable in spite of the fact that they have the almost same design and fit. I assume this might be because they are quite a bit lighter than the BW2. Whatever the reason might be, with my BW1 almost on its last leg and the BW2 already dead, I needed an alternative fast; and the BWZ perfectly fit my requirements.

Now comes the most interesting part of this thread, the future of the Bullets Wireless - OnePlus Buds.

OnePlus Buds

OnePlus Buds.jpg

They indeed are a set of True Wireless Earphones, OnePlus confirmed the name along with an announcement for their First TWS earphones earlier this week. Also, the recent certification listing shows the input voltage rating for a charging case. Although I don’t consider TWS Earphones as my cup of tea, the constant fear of losing them derails my music experience. I did buy a pair of the Haylou GT1 Pro, just to get aboard the TWS hype train. It's too dear to me, and I don't use it just so that I don't lose it. (Ah! The irony)

Having used all the previous generations of the Bullets Wireless, I have a certain set of expectations from the upcoming OnePlus Buds.

1. A lightweight body which will facilitate a comfortable fit. ✔
    2. Powerful Bass (most TWS fail to deliver in this department)
    3. In-Ear Style Earphones ✔
    4. Warp Charge or even faster? :p
    5. Compact Charging Case
    6. Good MIc Quality/ Good Calling Experience

Based on the existing leaks from Max J. I decided to take it a step further and use his render as an inspiration to create something similar. I have created a bunch of renders to show-off come colour variants. The new colours on the BWZ are so cool and I would love to see them on the new OnePlus Buds as well. I did take the liberty here and add a few of my favourite colours as well!

OnePlus Buds Color Variants.jpg

OnePlus Buds Color Variants with Case.jpg

It would be interesting to see if this is the end of an era! Will this be the Future of the OnePlus Bullets Wireless Line-up? Is this a goodbye to the Bullets Wireless Nomenclature? Drop your views in the comments down below and let me know your opinions!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

2. Amaan086
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

3. Optimus_Prime_07
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2020

Optimus_Prime_07 , via OnePlus 3 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    1595351523144.jpg

1595351523340.jpg

1595351523465.jpg

Should be affordable to keep the market in mind.
    i think at this price range it will disrupt the Indian Market. Blue one really takes all the charms 🥰🤩[e]1f499[/e]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020

4. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jul 16, 2020

YRJ , Jul 16, 2020 :
    A great read @razzor228

I do not know if this is THE future of OnePlus's audio accessories lineup, but I do hope that they do not scrap the neckband styled earphones. It is really convenient to just drop them when you want to free your ears and avoid discomfort after long periods of listening.

OnePlus had to enter the TWS market, it was inevitable. But I guess the timing is just right.
    Looking forward to what these pack and how everyone will receive it.

Btw, those renders are lovely :hearteyes:

5. DarshanMeniya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 16, 2020

DarshanMeniya , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Thank you for featuring past and future!

Now eyes are on 21st July to see official specification of OnePlus Buds!

7. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2020

8. Batman360
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2020

Batman360 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    @razzor228 yet another amazing thread man!! 🔥
    I own a collection of all the bullets from Type-C to BW-Z and man I so want the buds not just to complete the collection but also because I know they will include the same dash/warp charging tech in these too, plus every bullets sounds good maybe better than their previous versions but I can compromise a little sound quality over comfort and ease of usage. I expect them to seamlessly connect to my device. But the thing I can compromise in is the lag, I really hope they have really low latency and not just in papers but in real life usage too. I would have preferred rubber tips over this one which ia teased because of the perfect fitting and having no fear of it falling down. Dolby tech is a MUST, increase the price a bit but I need the 🔥 sound. I really hoped that they wouldn't go with the toothbrush design but eh (I really like the design of galaxy buds).
    My expectations are endless so I will stop writing it here and wait for the product to drop. Maybe write a review on it too once I get my hands on it 😉

Thanks again for this thread Siddhesh. 😊

9. Girish.Pranav
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 16, 2020

10. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2020

Swatiranjan , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Nice thread @razzor228 .
    The evolution is strong and growing much stronger.
    And the concept of buds is great, but the design .. looks like a copy IMO. 30 hours is definitely a big +.
    I think I have seen some different looking case ( elliptical design ) 21 hours of case charge means bigger battery, so may not be accommodated in such a small case.

Low latency, quick switch are some great & effective technical advancements.

11. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2020

fragargon , Jul 16, 2020 :
    @razzor228 that's a good read. Personally I don't think nake lace BW would be off as the price and this product got its audience.

Let's see what would be the spec from TWB.
    Would be wireless charging complying?
    Would be ANC complying?

The price target will be déterminent. I'm hyped by this but waiting spec. Hope that they are ANC!

We will soon know.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

12. rsinghdel
    Donut Jul 16, 2020

14. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 16, 2020

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    @razzor228, thank you for this great thread:)
    And a lot of questions:D
    Honestly, I am not going to buy them.
    I already own the Marshall Major III bluetooth headphones. Additionally I have the OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z in blue (@Batman360 💙💙💙 :) ).
    So there is no need for truly wireless earphones/headphones.
    And to be honest,...OnePlus don’t use a unique design... they are looking like cheap Apple AirPods..It doesn't bother me that the BWZ are „wired“..
    But let’s see.
    If the price is less than 99€, they might have a chance ...:) Maybe around 69€ or 79€...

YRJ, razzor228, Swatiranjan and 2 others like this.
  16. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Agreed my friend! [e]1f44d[/e]

YRJ, razzor228, Swatiranjan and 2 others like this.
  17. Dresa91

YRJ, Helder_DAlmeida and razzor228 like this.
  18. Batman360
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida and Dresa91 like this.
  19. Dresa91

Helder_DAlmeida and Batman360 like this.
  20. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2020

fragargon , Jul 16, 2020 :
    I'm not a fortune teller but I bet review will soon pop in up in the user review channel! :)

Dresa91 and Batman360 like this.