OnePlus Canadian Neteork Compatibility

1. krutarth2000
    Cupcake Dec 15, 2017

krutarth2000 , Dec 15, 2017 :
    I am planning on getting a OnePlus device, but before I do that, I wanted to know if it is compatible with Virgin Mobile and Freedom mobile and if it works with these carriers as a regular phone that they sell in their carrier stores (Full compatibility).

2. 3p1phany
    Donut Dec 15, 2017

3p1phany , Dec 15, 2017 :
    There's already a thread on Freedom: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-5-freedom-mobile-wind-4g-lte.554908/

Rogers/Fido have worked fine for me with OP5 and I just bought the OP5T for my wife and it also works fine on Rogers/Fido. Sorry, I don't know anyone who uses Virgin.

artur_krupa19 likes this.
  3. piotrick
    Gingerbread Dec 19, 2017

piotrick , Dec 19, 2017 :
    I'm with Freedom Mobile and the OnePlus 5 works properly. It should work with all Canadian carriers.

4. AlexandreP
    Honeycomb Dec 19, 2017

AlexandreP , Dec 19, 2017 :
    Hi! -- You may want to check the FAQ on OnePlus' main site. The FAQ lists all network bands supported by the OnePlus 5, and also links to a website that help check carrier compatibility. :)

The device should work, but the carrier may not offer all its services on it. If there is some specific service you're looking for, you may want to ask the carrier if it will run on a BYOD.

5. krutarth2000
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2017

krutarth2000 , Dec 21, 2017 :
    is there a sample oneplus 5T IMEI number so I can ask them to check its full capability as they can't guarantee the phone's capability just by its name

6. AlexandreP
    Honeycomb Dec 21, 2017

AlexandreP , Dec 21, 2017 :
    You would have to provide a device you own (or an accointance of yours owns). There is no "generic IMEI" you could provide your carrier. If the carrier was motivated, it may be able to get in touch with OnePlus reps and ask for a test device...

7. Dray451
    Froyo Dec 31, 2017

Dray451 , Dec 31, 2017 :
    I have a OnePlus 3 ( a bit over a year ) and she works fine on virgin.cheers

8. Ubershopper
    Froyo Jan 2, 2018

Ubershopper , Jan 2, 2018 :
    The short answer is, yes, it will work onnboth those networks (along with any of the major networks and their included brands)

The slightly longer answer is yes, but it might not take full advantage of what the network and device are capable of. First, you say you are possibly getting a Oneplus device. Which one? If you are buying from Oneplus, then it will be the 5T right now. I have just replaced my 3T. Its a fantastic device and I miss some things already. Virgin is a sub-brand of Bell mobility so they should be fully compatible. I used Bell and had no problems. I also experimented with Freedom Mobile on the same device. It will work well, BUT it is missing at least one of Freedom's new LTE bands. So, I guess that would be a no to your question of whether it would work as well as a freedom store phone.

To complicate things further, the 5T (and i think the 5) have the new bands but there were several complaints by users noting that they would have to manually force the device to connect to LTE after a phone call. I have read at least one thread that this has improved after a December update but I'd qualify that as unconfirmed for now. Furthermore, I think that you may experience trouble connecting to VoWiFi and I would expect that you will have trouble connecting to VoLTE which is anticipated to be released within months.

On a personal note, I set my father up with my old 3T on Bell, and I bought both my sons 5Ts which they are using on Freedom. All three are very happy as they meet their usage; my dad doesn't need strong LTE and my sons barely use voice calling. I replaced mine with an LG V30 and make refular use of VoWiFi and look forward to VoLTE.

9. bubbob
    Eclair Dec 20, 2018

bubbob , Dec 20, 2018 :
    If RCS, volte and vowifi are important to you, none of those work with freedom mobilen which renders your phone just a big smart phone. Kinda undermines the full paid capabilities of the OnePlus phone. I have the 6T and am as I can't take advantage of those features of the phone and new cellular technology .

10. astracd
    Gingerbread Dec 22, 2018

astracd , Dec 22, 2018 :
    It sucks big time... 6T is more advanced than any phone they offer, but it doesn't work...
    Freedom and OnePlus need to get their shit together and make it work... I guess more we complain to both something will happen... with waiting to happen, no results will come...

11. Z1572824129100
    Donut Nov 10, 2019

Z1572824129100 , Nov 10, 2019 :
    I just received my 7T two days ago. I was hesitant to purchase initially because I had the same concerns as you have. My service is with Lucky Mobile, and my phone worked perfectly from the moment I inserted the sim card . I doubt that you will have problems.

12. astracd
    Gingerbread Nov 16, 2019

astracd , Nov 16, 2019 :
    This topic is a year old. I'm sure he changed two phones by now :D

Btw OP still doesn't support wifi calling and volte for Canadian users.

13. L1572826043240
    Cupcake Mar 26, 2020 at 4:16 AM