OnePlus Concept One: A sneak peek

1. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Jan 3, 2020

Pete , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Concept One header.png

Hi friends,

Today, we unveiled a teaser video of our first concept phone, OnePlus Concept One device, first announced here on December 17.

Since day one, we have been designing flagship products based on a “Burdenless” philosophy, aiming to deliver premium products that empower people in the most natural and comfortable fashion. The OnePlus Concept One encompasses this idea by using electrochromic glass, a color-shifting glass, to cloak the rear camera lenses behind a clean glass body and reveal them only when they’re in use.

OnePlus is the first in the industry to explore the applications of electrochromic glass in smartphones. By exploring innovative ways to combine cutting-edge technology and smartphones, we are again boldly challenging the conventional practices of the industry.

The glass on the OnePlus Concept One uses organic particles to create various tints in color when subject to an electrical field. When a different voltage is applied, the light transmission properties are altered, allowing the glass to shift back and forth from transparent to translucent. The technology is currently used in the aviation and high-end automobile industries to greatly reduce glare, such as on the windows of the Boeing 787s and the McLaren 720s. By leveraging this dynamic glass solution, the OnePlus Concept One is able to maintain a clean and unbroken back cover while simultaneously delivering a premium and unobtrusive hand-feel experience to its users.

The OnePlus Concept One will be on display to media and the general public during CES 2020 in the Palmer 2 showroom at Wynn Las Vegas from 7 to 10 January. If you're visiting CES, be sure not to miss it.

2. Mingo_MGx
    Eclair Jan 3, 2020

3. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 3, 2020

4. devil112
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2020

5. YRJ
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2020

6. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jan 3, 2020

Cheetosdust , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Before I jump on the hype train or completely dismiss this, right now I’m intrigued.

Having a clean back on the device looks cool and saying goodbye to the camera bump is indeed a nice step. As of today, I like this because I do appreciate good design - and this can be a nice step to have a device as a piece to contemplate.

However, I don’t look at the back of my device that often and I will probably put a case on it anyway. Reading the article that was published on Wired, I also have a concern - or a little apprehension - with the long term performance. Andrew Dent, executive vice president of research at the New York City-based consultancy Material ConneXion, said about electrochromic glass that:

“If you’re constantly switching modes, over a certain number of years it will degrade. You might get spots where it’s not completely transparent, or experience a weakening of the switch”.

I want to see how OnePlus is preparing their technology to assure that doesn’t happen. But doesn’t diminish the engineering feat, having it take less than one second is promising and adding just “a tenth of a millimeter to the overall thickness of this concept phone in its current design” is impressive.

So that’s where I am right now: intrigued to see what will be presented during CES 2020. And kudos to OnePlus for trying something new, even if it seems to be “form over function”.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020

7. SWAPPYONE
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2020

SWAPPYONE , via OnePlus 7 Mirror Gray , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Wow great idea ....
    Happy that OnePlus brings such tech to users.
    Loved the idea of colour changing Back.
    @Pete I hope Oneplus keeps the promise it made to its users

Please bring back accessories support to order devices(OnePlus 7)
    Also the Bullets wireless 2 Offers....[e]2665[/e]️[e]2665[/e]️[e]2665[/e]️

Looking forward to watch live stream of CES2020 EVENT .
    Any contests to win a ticket to event are just the thing I want for this New Year As a treat ...

@Pete @Carl
    #NeverSettle
    #OnePlus

8. Karun Deep
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2020

Impersonal likes this.
  9. Navdeep_Malik
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 3, 2020

Navdeep_Malik , Jan 3, 2020 :
    so now we will know if someone is hacking our camera to spy on us!:p
    had a watch long time ago which worked like this ! Interesting implementation.. wonder if we community members can sneak peek the whole design of the phone:rolleyes:

SWAPPYONE and Impersonal like this.
  10. manuel19
    KitKat Jan 3, 2020

manuel19 , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Really love the clean back without the bump! Would be such a great looking phone, even without the magic of making the rear cameras disappear! :)

11. everkurt
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2020

Impersonal likes this.
  12. subashbabu
    Froyo Jan 3, 2020

Impersonal likes this.
  13. Narap369
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2020

Narap369 , via OnePlus 7T , Jan 3, 2020 :
    if this is gonna look great
    then I'm changing my OnePlus 7t bought a month ago to concept one
    eagerly waiting for concept one[e]1f60d[/e]

Impersonal likes this.
  14. P1544117264434
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2020

Impersonal likes this.
  15. script
    Nougat Moderator Jan 3, 2020

script , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Great concept.

SWAPPYONE, Bouncer71 and Impersonal like this.
  16. S1552454052055
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2020

S1552454052055 , Jan 3, 2020 :
    All your ideas will be of no interest to anyone unless you use a technically completely different battery in the new phone. Lithium batteries - this is the "last century", or graphene, or something else new, which will allow not to recharge the smartphone for a long time (1-2 months).

17. thoma_hawk
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2020

thoma_hawk , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Although my first reaction when I saw this was 'Why?', this is pretty cool as a concept. I hope OnePlus could achieve this without burning through lot of it's research budget (I read this was a perk that came with the McLaren association). It would be a nice party trick for the McLaren edition (and add more of this to make it worth the extra premium). Would love to see this happening with the display though.

This also makes me concerned if OnePlus is moving to a higher price point. I feel OnePlus shouldn't leave the entry level to RealMe brand and should definitely offer an entry level varient whose features are driven by community rather than just market or industry trends. The 7T is still expensive when you compare it to the original flagship killers. Offer it without a glass back and subsidize it. Make it invite only through the community (I don't care) but go back to your roots and give us another one true to the never settle spirit.

18. meatandy
    Oreo Jan 3, 2020

meatandy , Jan 3, 2020 :
    When will the concept phone be available to the community and will it run on the 5G Network ?

19. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2020

G_plusone , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Hopefully the Future devices have functionality like Wireless charging in addition to aesthetics like disappearing cameras ;)

Anzil_khaN, malidan, meatandy and 3 others like this.
  20. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jan 3, 2020

Cheetosdust , Jan 3, 2020 :
    That's not the correct question :rolleyes:

The correct question is:

After the whole IP Certification and Bucket explanation, is this how OnePlus is going to explain the electrochromic glass to the community:

[​IMG]

?