OnePlus Design: Craftsmanship with a bit of attitude

1. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Sep 18, 2019

Pete , Sep 18, 2019 :
    designdeepdive001.png

Hi everyone,

Today, I want to talk about "love at first sight."

In the past, I've been talking about our design philosophy and the efforts we've been putting in to make our smartphones - being visually appealing while retaining an amazing touch and feel. I think it’s important to get the design of smartphone right, and to make it "presentable", so to speak - if the product is not appealing enough to raise people's interest, there will be no rest of the story.

The smartphone market has advanced very quickly over the past decade; the TV space, however, has remained largely stagnant - especially when it comes to design. But we did see an opportunity for OnePlus to bring its design expertise to the TV industry.

For every product we make, we believe it deserves the same holistic attention to detail and exacting level of craftsmanship. In the past years, our premium design has been well-accepted by our users, and the reason behind our well-received product design is our consistent and impeccably balanced design language.

As I mentioned previously, OnePlus TV is another representative of our OnePlus' values, vision and proud focus on delivering user-centric innovation, which is why we are committed to bringing the same level of detail and similar design language for OnePlus smartphones to the OnePlus TV.

Since the inception of OnePlus, we have delivered high quality products and premium design in our smartphones, and product design has always been one of the foci when we make our devices.

No detail is too small, as showcased in the OnePlus TV remote and back case design. In fact, the remote is inspired by the design of our OnePlus 3 series - its continuous hard edge perfectly blends into a rounded curve. The hard edge gives the remote a clear silhouette and structure, while the round curve adds some soft tone to it. Overall, it's another great example of our design language and attitude.

The reason why we drew the inspiration from the OnePlus 3 series is because it's a perfect example to showcase the balance in our design language. Since the product was introduced, the design has become one of our most classic looks among our products.

TVdeepdive.jpg

We're excited to continue down this path, especially as the smart TV industry is set to grow rapidly in the years to come. We will continue to evolve the OnePlus TV to feature the latest advancements in AI, AR, VR and beyond, to always create the best experience possible.

Join our journey as we continue to bring our unique design philosophy to our broader ecosystem of products. I can't wait for you to be a part of it.

Never Settle

2. otto2
    Lollipop Sep 18, 2019

otto2 , Sep 18, 2019 :
    Sorry, @Pete but:
    The best Design was Not the OP3, which was more or less a copy of an existing Phone Design, paired with that ugly and annoying camera bump, the best Design we had on: Oneplus ONE and the OP2. Never again i had a Phone in my hands with an outstanding design combined with functionality (Sandstone back!!!)

3. Vansh99
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 18, 2019

Vansh99 , Sep 18, 2019 :
    OnePlus 3 was genuinely a great looking phone, to this day my favorite design but the "inspiration" you're talking about seems to come more from the Apple remote than the OnePlus 3/3T.

Thanks for teasing us like that...tease us everyday with some new details, I'm fine with that.

Why do you have to hurt me by talking about love at first sight? :(

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019

4. Drasm19
    Honeycomb Sep 18, 2019

Drasm19 , Sep 18, 2019 :
    OnePlus One was the phone that Kickstarted the evolution of affordable flagships, OnePlus 3T was the phone that made OnePlus what it is today.

5. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 18, 2019

YRJ , Sep 18, 2019 :
    How does OnePlus 3 become the perfect example?
    Sorry, but I'm not a fan of the OnePlus 3's design.
    Neither of the 7Pro whose curves are a lot more rounded that what would be ideal.

I have nothing against the remote! It looks good but it has an uncanny resemblance to the Apple TV remote. I don't know how I feel about that but I am sure many would be concerned.

Anywho, all the best for the launch and I wish the team great success with the 7T series and TV in which you've entrusted a lot of hope.

Cheers!

6. Starcommander
    KitKat Sep 18, 2019

Starcommander , Sep 18, 2019 :
    Hey, I love the oneplus 3's design. Its slim look, proper weight distribution, metal unibody.

Having said that there wqs something called as 'SANDSTONE FINISH' what made oneplus design stand out. I loved this design, however a more unique oneplus approach could have been better.

Imagine Sandstone remote!

It would also help to get a great grip on the device

7. John j
    Jelly Bean Sep 18, 2019

8. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 18, 2019

YRJ , Sep 18, 2019 :
    Lol :tearsofjoy:

9. Sujknair

Sujknair , Sep 18, 2019 :
    Ahh.. This post brings back memories of my OP3. The metal back sure was pleasant to the touch. Although your signature is sandstone, i can appreciate your going with this finish too.

rayn paul, Jana_js, Xcutioner and 3 others like this.
  10. Rick Manders
    KitKat Community Expert Sep 18, 2019

11. hennes
    Lollipop Sep 18, 2019

hennes , Sep 18, 2019 :
    I'll never understand how to turn away from the absolutely greatest idea that came up with the OnePlus One. It was unique, it was outstanding and modern. The 3 Series, on the other hand, is a copy of all smartphones on earth. I only like the 3 because at least it doesn't have a glass on the back, but the bump is just not good, if the remote is just as wobbly when it's on the table and you want to operate it, it's a faulty design.
    Sorry, but that is my opinion @Pete, but i know, my opinion isn't relevant.

Note: Sandstone was one oft the greates ideas ever paird with the continuous smooth front, it was, no it is still a awesome phone and an eye-catcher

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019

Jana_js, nateavi, cdnfarmer and 14 others like this.
  12. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Sep 18, 2019

Bouncer71 , Sep 18, 2019 :
    Cloned with this... ;)

[​IMG]

13. Interview_Tech

14. sam37
    Froyo Sep 18, 2019

sam37 , Sep 18, 2019 :
    Why on some picture there is a amazon prime button, on other nothing and a other one with a menu button ?

Jana_js, Wonderwoman13 and otto2 like this.
  15. SJBoss
    Lollipop Sep 18, 2019

SJBoss , Sep 18, 2019 :
    Bullies :rolleyes:

16. otto2
    Lollipop Sep 18, 2019

otto2 , Sep 18, 2019 :
    At all we can see:

Oneplus is no more making outstanding design- they re just copycats, copying instead of making something by their own.
    You ve lost your roots, take care not to loose in the future, too.

Instead of some TV , which is more than redundant, market is more than full, you should build an Oneplusone with modern hardware inside. Pretty sure, this would be way more interesting than just some other TV screen.

Antonio_Luis, shapz, nateavi and 10 others like this.
  17. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Sep 18, 2019

Cheetosdust , Sep 18, 2019 :
    Awwww, Pete. Are you going to talk about the first time our eyes met? :relaxed:

Oh, it's about the remote. Cool. :cool:

Hee H., cdnfarmer, sommersy and 4 others like this.
  18. Rick Manders
    KitKat Community Expert Sep 18, 2019

19. SJBoss
    Lollipop Sep 18, 2019

SJBoss , Sep 18, 2019 :
    tbh, no one is, now that we have truly bezel less displays on the front. there’s only so much you can do to the back of a smartphone to distinguish it from others and end up making ‘em look uglier eg. iPhone 11, pixel 4.

Whatever @Pete just said is marketing stuff and every company has to do it, the thing you/we had to understand is OnePlus is like every other company but still trying not to look like ‘em.

Meh you guys are just bullies troubling little pete here. :rolleyes:

20. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Sep 18, 2019