OnePlus Design Philosophy: Never Settle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emmanuel Marketing Feb 28, 2014

Emmanuel, Feb 28, 2014 :
    “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” – Steve Jobs

A few months ago, we launched OnePlus and announced our ambition to design the best smartphone experience in 2014.
    It is our commitment to bring the best possible technology to users around the world, reaffirmed by our personal experiences as smartphone geeks. Only a few devices available on the market aim to satisfy tech lovers. We believe that consumers shouldn't have to choose between performance, quality and price. Our motto - Never Settle - illustrates our will to disrupt the way companies design and build mobile devices.
    Unlike other manufacturers, we don’t see a smartphone as a list of tech specs and features. We focus on delivering the best end-user experience on a day-to-day basis. To do so, our approach integrates three main elements: people (desirability), technology (feasibility) and business (viability).

Engage with users
    Designing the best smartphone experience requires a full understanding of people’s expectations and desires. We believe that engaging with you would provide us with the best insights on the tech scene, as seen by avid users, as well as excellent feedback on existing devices.
    Thanks to your participation, we have been able to choose the specs that will most likely meet your smartphone needs. We value your opinion so much in fact, that we promise that the OnePlus One and any of our future devices will be developed with your insights in mind.

Design the best combination
    A smartphone is more than the sum of its parts. It is the combination of complementary components that offer an overall experience. Some companies make people believe that a particular spec can totally transform a device. However specs frequently conflict with each other. A powerful battery lets the device run for longer, but significantly increases its thickness and weight.
    At OnePlus, we believe that a mobile experience has to take a holistic approach in order to be optimal.

Partner with the experts
    OnePlus simply aims to create the best products that we can for consumers. Partnering with OS experts like Cyanogen Inc. is not only a disruptive way to deliver on our promises to our audience but allows us to leverage OnePlus’ high-performance hardware.

Maximize consumer value
    Companies generally focus on retail price first when defining phone specs. The better the specs, the more expensive the product. We believe that there are new ways to incorporate more technology with no extra cost.
    OnePlus doesn’t compromise on product quality and plans to offer greater value to consumers through innovative design and online strategy.

This is how we plan to disrupt the mobile industry. It's time to demand more from technology.
    Stay tuned next week to find out more about our very first device, the OnePlus One.

2. muddy46 Jelly Bean Feb 28, 2014

muddy46, Feb 28, 2014 :
    "The OnePlus One will definitely be the smartphone with the best price/performance combination in 2014." I was excited for the OnePlus endeavor sicne I first read about your company back in December, I grew more and more excited with each new bit of information that your company released to the wild. Now I am...I am...whats a good word for "beyond estactic"? I dont know the strongest word I could use here but I am that! Wish I was part of this OnePlus team. If you guys deliver on all of what you say you have in the works, I predict OnePlus will grow like Google did.

3. Dmh_86 Froyo Feb 28, 2014

Dmh_86, Feb 28, 2014 :
    Wow! That's a bold claim. Currently the Nexus line holds that title (with some compromises, of course). Hopefully One Plus One will surpass it. That'll be quite an achievement.

Teaser for next week? Yay! Let's show them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

4. Jaice Joy Skaria Gingerbread Feb 28, 2014

Predatormilk, alkeram and muddy46 like this.
  5. infernowheels Jelly Bean Feb 28, 2014

Predatormilk and muddy46 like this.
  6. script Nougat Moderator Feb 28, 2014

script, Feb 28, 2014 :
    That sounds very promising! Thank you, me and many others are looking forward to the ONE. And: its very nice to participate in this a little bit. As a writer I want to say: its never one single thing that makes a story good, its the perfect combination of parts that can make it great.

Congrats and greetings from Cologne,

script (Rüdiger)

7. Mark Falsing Jelly Bean Senior Moderator Feb 28, 2014

Mark Falsing, Feb 28, 2014 :
    This sounds great, I really like the philosophy of OnePlus of trying to combine beauty and functionality to give us the best user experience with the most beautiful phone. We will most likely not see the latest top of the line specs but rather the best combination of specs to create the best experience.
    Now I'm just straight guessing, but I'm thinking the OnePlus will rock a 1080p display of some sort, 2GB RAM, 32-64GB Internal Storage, Qualcomm 800 processor, 13mp camera with 5mp front camera with OIS, 2800-3000 mah battery depending on the size of the device which I think will land around 4,7 - 5". All of this will be embodied in a beautiful design and the best user experience to date.

Kar.Ma and Cristian like this.
  8. Mark Falsing Jelly Bean Senior Moderator Feb 28, 2014

Mark Falsing, Feb 28, 2014 :
    Oh by the way, the battery will be replaceable and there will be room for a micro sd-Card as well.
    I'm just guessing :)

mdsakr, Louluvre and muddy46 like this.
  9. AasifMaqsood Honeycomb Feb 28, 2014

alkeram likes this.
  10. AasifMaqsood Honeycomb Feb 28, 2014

AasifMaqsood, Feb 28, 2014 :
    agree with you on most of things bro. QHD is overkill i think for sub 5 inch screen and qualcomm snapdragon 801 or 805 are more than superior as of todays standard. 2 gb ram is also sufficient for most multi tasking purpose. 13 or 16 mp cameras are also enough. Just make them with lots of improvements. Like low light. Optical image stabilization. Optical zoom. Better hdr. 4k video recording is not needed but it will welcome. Battery should as large as for full day of heavy usage.

poulki, alkeram and Mark Falsing like this.
  11. AasifMaqsood Honeycomb Feb 28, 2014

And optimize your software with hardware at extreme level. Like what apple did. Dual core processor is smoking everything

alkeram likes this.
  12. Rob W Ice Cream Sandwich Community Expert Feb 28, 2014

Rob W, Feb 28, 2014 :
    This is the exact reason that I can't wait to see what comes from OnePlus.
    The group seems to legitimately care about the customer and not just the profit.

I can't wait to be a part of it.

muddy46 likes this.
  13. Allanitomwesh Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 28, 2014

Allanitomwesh, Feb 28, 2014 :
    Well,everything with android sure. It is the fastest phone RUNNING IOS,any benchmark should be compared to other IOS devices.That is the problem.

alkeram likes this.
  14. ram gupta Honeycomb Feb 28, 2014

ram gupta, Feb 28, 2014 :
    Well, THANK YOU for letting us be a part of the process, listening to our feedback and incorporating it in the device.Finally, when the device ends up in our hands, we can smile thinking that we have had a small role to play in the making of the phone through its inception and finally into production.I, for one, have become a big fan of the way you guys go on about carryin out your job.Hopefully this doesnt change as you grow bigger .Heres wishing you an awesome first.Please, hit a home run with this one.

Navnath Junghare and script like this.
  15. sudo-O//e Donut Feb 28, 2014

alkeram likes this.
  16. Sparkolo KitKat Community Expert Feb 28, 2014

Sparkolo, Feb 28, 2014 :
    Just as I said in another thread that's also what i think. Perfection is not the latest specs, but a perfect combination of hardware and software which gives you the best performance and design in every aspect!
    A lot of smartphones are perfect on paper, but then when you use it it will lack something, will slow down as you fill its storage, the battery won't satisfy you even if it was 3000mAh because the kernel isn't optimized enough. Or also the battery shorten its life through time and you can't replace it even if the rest of the phone is still amazing.

I don't mind in having a 2 years old phone if it can still compete with the latest competitor device in a good way. And that's not impossible. Apple, even if it isn't perfect at all, has shitty specs in comparison to Android OEMs, but the software just run smooth with them. It's all about balancing the whole system both on hardware and software. And you're nailing it!

17. Luka Froyo Feb 28, 2014

Luka, Feb 28, 2014 :
    First of all; Quoting Steve jobs? I think there are far better human beings we could quote or look up to :p

This part: "Thanks to your participation, we have been able to choose the specs that will most likely meet your smartphone needs."
    And than this: "We believe that there are new ways to incorporate more technology with no extra cost."
    -What i got from that was that we won't see a snapdragon 800 but what ever we do get will grantee that the device will run everything on the market with no problems. Maybe an Octa core MediaTek or a snap. 600.
    If this is true, I got no problems with it. CM is made to work far better and faster than even vanilla Android. I imagine a 600 works better with CM than an 800 with Sony or Smasung UI.

This is what i like most of all: "A powerful battery lets the device run for longer, but significantly increases its thickness and weight.
    At OnePlus, we believe that a mobile experience has to take a holistic approach in order to be optimal.
    "
    -I think everyone needs to keep this in mind when asking for the best of everything. It's not that simple.

Emmanuel likes this.
  18. AasifMaqsood Honeycomb Feb 28, 2014

i was thinking same..

alkeram likes this.
  19. AasifMaqsood Honeycomb Feb 28, 2014

thats my point too

alkeram likes this.
  20. Murat GOLCU Froyo Feb 28, 2014

Murat GOLCU, Feb 28, 2014 :
    Actually this type of development never settle...
    i can fully understand what are you going to do but the metter is best performance/price which is everybody could deal with features/SW.