Other OnePlus Dex

1. Elo63
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

Elo63 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    my idea is that you connect your Oneplus device to the computer and then with the appropriate software you get a kind of Oxygen Os as PC operating system. Like Samsung Dex.

2. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Mar 19, 2020

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Mar 19, 2020 :
    [Not Adopted]

Hello Elo63, thank you for your idea.

We will hold our opinion about Samsung's solution, but we do agree that a more seamless connection between smartphones and computers should be provided.

We discussed it internally and we believe that, when our fans use a smartphone in tandem with a computer, they mainly focus on three things: file transfer, notifications, and controlling the phone via the PC. We need to have more insights about this idea, so once again we are requesting our Community’s feedback. To help us understand exactly how this idea could be beneficial, we ask every Community member that’s reading this to comment below their vision about it.

We’ll keep monitoring this thread and we kindly ask you to please write your feedback in detail. That way you are helping us more efficiently. Thank you once again, Elo63, and everyone who’s going to take their time to think and write their feedback.

Learn more about how your Idea flows within OnePlus

3. SebastianAV97
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

4. sevnsevn
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

sevnsevn , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I think this is a great idea. Android 10 already supports a dual display (desktop) mode that people are using their OnePlus 7/7T Pros for with tweaks.

It would only require that OnePlus update their Launcher to support this extended mode and then also a few small tweaks to the phone display manager to allow things like turning off the display without sleeping and maintaining the USB-C to Display Port connection.

Example of said tweaks can be found in this article which you can then use to find some work the awesome folks in the open source community have done to show an example of how a launcher can be extended:

https://www.xda-developers.com/make-android-10-desktop-mode-useful/

5. nosirrah116
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

nosirrah116 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I'd absolutely love to see this get a OnePlus makeover and make it a full-on feature. Dex does it well and I do miss having that since it can be extremely useful.

6. 6.T
    Froyo Mar 6, 2020

6.T , Mar 6, 2020 :
    this is the best idea i have read till now

must support all oneplus devices !!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020

7. americosta
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

americosta , Mar 6, 2020 :
    One of the greatest freatures I've used and love in the Samsung Note lineup.
    I've switched to the OP for the better overall experience, but lost the phone-computer I had.
    I know android 10 has a desktop kind-of, but doesn't compare to Dex.
    I would be called +desk, and It would show how great the phone is, faster than average notebook, compact like no other.

8. A1573108791307
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

A1573108791307 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Users who wish to have a better "Desktop" experience should check out AndroNix.

In some ways, it's better than DEX since you are actually installing a full-blown Linux OS with variety of distros and desktop environments to choose from.
    No reinventing the wheel, just access to a full blown desktop OS.

I haven't tested it with OTG screens just yet, but it should work great.

SWAPPYONE likes this.
  9. NotTheBigNerd
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

NotTheBigNerd , Mar 6, 2020 :
    This is the best idea ever and a low hanging fruit too - esp with the xda implementation already available. Just make sure phone can be charged when connected and screen can be turned off.

10. hackatit
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

hackatit , Mar 6, 2020 :
    The nextDock is being marketed right now and on a Kickstarter campaign...
    I'd prefer if it did more than act like a bad Android tablet or laptop. To launch a proper Linux chroot, or a proper chromeOS desktop would be awesome.

11. dr3am_r
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2020

dr3am_r , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Looking for this for long time. Would be great to be implemented. I even bought Flow Desktop to get closer to that goal of having a functional Desktop Mode. Dex is a great implementation, and it shows that they put thought in it. With the great dev team of oneplus this could become a reality...

jviola and Sicksher like this.
  12. Joshua1017
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

Joshua1017 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    They wouldn't be able to call it Dex so they should call it OnePlus Dock. I like the idea!

googlemedion, SWAPPYONE and Elo63 like this.
  13. SPATIALLYPOETIC
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

SPATIALLYPOETIC , Mar 6, 2020 :
    yes! this is such an amazing idea, and is one of the things that is making me consider Samsung as a potential replacement for my phone. The laptop experience is something that pretty much Samsung is the only people that have been able to implement such a thing in their operating system. if 1 + devices could do such a thing, perhaps even with a Chromebook, it could be really impactful!

raj.vardhan21 likes this.
  14. RileyDavies27
    Cupcake Mar 7, 2020

RileyDavies27 , Mar 7, 2020 :
    Yes! I made a post about this before I saw this one, but this is a must-have feature that would work great with oxygen os. Dex is the only feature that makes me consider a Samsung over OnePlus. Of course it wouldn't be called Dex but OP would be able to call it something else. If this becomes a thing it's too bad I'll have to miss out for the time being since I have a 6t which doesn't support HDMI...

raj.vardhan21 and Elo63 like this.
  15. Zackeroo
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2020

Zackeroo , Mar 7, 2020 :
    This would be pretty cool, however Dex is a Samsung term, so they would have to rename it :)

Elo63 likes this.
  16. Jamesbp106
    Cupcake Mar 7, 2020

Jamesbp106 , Mar 7, 2020 :
    Yes this is important to me I switch between a Samsung tablet and my OnePlus device because of the lack of desktop support. This is a important feature for me.

17. denisbogdan13
    Cupcake Mar 7, 2020

18. G_Samuel_Rawson_DLMh
    Cupcake Mar 7, 2020

19. ButtKiss
    Froyo Mar 11, 2020

raj.vardhan21 likes this.
  20. ButtKiss
    Froyo Mar 11, 2020

denisbogdan13 likes this.
  21. TomaszKa
    Donut Mar 18, 2020

TomaszKa , Mar 18, 2020 :
    Best idea since I have OnePlus phone.
    Samsung DEX is great, but standard Android desktop mode is basic. With the power of our new phones and support from OnePlus we can have great desktop mode on the second display over USB.

I'm waiting to get my Nexdock touch on June-July. As I'm working on the go, this will be so easy to have all data in one device. No need to share data between two or three devices.

[​IMG]