OnePlus Investigates – Ask your smartphone industry questions

1. Ruby G.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 26, 2019

Ruby G. , Mar 26, 2019 :
    Forum (1).png

Hello friends,

Don’t tell Google, but my favorite search engine growing up was Ask Jeeves. I loved the idea of asking a butler-type personality. Now it’s just ask.com with a clean red and white design. You can perform search inquires worded as questions today with voice assistants, but the delightful experience they deliver is not quite the same. With this series, we invite you to Jeeves us.

Ask us the hardest smartphone industry related question you can think of (or an interesting one that you’re too lazy to google). We’ll pick 3-4 to answer in the following post. Currently, we’re thinking of doing this series every other week, depending on how excited our community is for this. If your question is chosen, we’ll send you a $20 USD voucher! Since it’s the first post, I got to ask a few questions that I have been wondering personally.

Why are so many foldable smartphones coming out this year?

How did app development for Android go in such a different direction than for iOS?

Why is a lot of notable smartphone innovation coming from Korea and China, but not Japan?

If you can give a better answer to a question than what we’ve found, we’ll send you a OnePlus Backpack. We’ll select a maximum of one “better” answer per question answered, based on OnePlus staff and Mod team voting.

Let’s say I answer 3 questions in my main post. In response, 10 people reply with alternative answers for question #1 and 3 people give alt answers to question #2. The mod team will vote on the best alternative answer for question #1 and question #2.

Everyone is welcome to participate, but please note that since this is a North America team-led activity, all physical prizes will only be mailed to US or Canada addresses, with vouchers being awarded in USD or CAD respectively.

All responses in this series represent the analysis and opinions of individual team members and do not represent the views of OnePlus as a company. If you find that any response does is not accurate according to your understanding, please reply to this thread (or message Ruby G. via forums PM) with facts from an official, verified source and we will be happy to post an addendum.

2. MD1101
    Honeycomb Mar 27, 2019

Ruby G. likes this.
  3. B.yashaswi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 27, 2019

Ruby G. likes this.
  4. Daniel Hee
    Gingerbread Mar 27, 2019

Daniel Hee , Mar 27, 2019 :
    1. Why is it that smartphones released in roughly the same time seems to have the same trend ? for example, if a trend it's 'copied' from Apple, wouldn't it be too short a time for r&d from when apple releases it smartphone to when other developers release their smartphone?

2. How did Qualcomm and Sony become the standard for hardware parts such as modems, processors and cameras? are they just so far ahead of their competitors?

3. When apple developed the original iPhone, it was said that the hardware and software team don't know what each other is doing, so how did the smartphone come together so well? is this kind of development possible?

5. David Y.
    Jelly Bean Mar 27, 2019

David Y. , Mar 27, 2019 :
    Can't wait to see what kind of questions are coming!

chair.gif

6. Cx_1522323
    Froyo Mar 27, 2019

Cx_1522323 , Mar 27, 2019 :
    1) Why is OnePlus called OnePlus?

2) why are companies like energizer getting in the cell phone market?

3) why is Apple the only successful American cellphone company and other companies are from China and Korean ?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019

Ruby G. and G_Love_Phi_Kgnp like this.
  7. vivekmodha
    Eclair Mar 27, 2019

8. Zaphodrocks
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 27, 2019

Zaphodrocks , Mar 27, 2019 :
    Apple accounts for 90% of the smartphone industry profits. Why do the other manufacturers even bother to stay in this business? How do they survive and even manage to innovate on such low margins?

Ruby G. likes this.
  9. Cx_1522323
    Froyo Mar 27, 2019

Cx_1522323 , Mar 27, 2019 :
    What is the point of interest for consumers on considering the brand and which device?

Ruby G. and iamkrafi like this.
  10. OceaneSxm
    Jelly Bean Mar 27, 2019

OceaneSxm , Mar 27, 2019 :
    Why do some smartphone companies release 2 phones per year with almost the same features?

11. Y1540631360848
    Eclair Mar 27, 2019

Sammy Sam and Ruby G. like this.
  12. Pranav R Patel
    Cupcake Mar 27, 2019

BRAD FORD BOI likes this.
  13. Mun.ta.sir
    Cupcake Mar 27, 2019

Mun.ta.sir , Mar 27, 2019 :
    I have not got the security patches in my one plus 6 since December 2018. Please send me a reply to it.

14. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Writers' Club Mar 27, 2019

YRJ , Mar 27, 2019 :
    Hi @Ruby G. and everyone who is going to be answering,
    Talking of modern day tech, why is it that whatever the big boys incorporate becomes a trend?

I mean, the hole-punch is no better than the notch itself, but still it gets the tag of "truly bezelless"
    Just because it is detached from the external frame does not mean it isn't a bezel anymore.
    How do you think of it?

jlasensiofi likes this.
  15. Z1551680689441
    Cupcake Mar 27, 2019

16. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Writers' Club Mar 27, 2019

YRJ , Mar 27, 2019 :
    In my opinion,
    OEM do not want to be left behind, they want to jump in what is now the "folder train"
    Whenever something new enters the market, take the notch for example all OEM's were in a mad race to have it on their models to make it look 2018ish!
    To find a fair mid range phone from a reputed phone maker today that has no notch would be difficult.

Same goes for folding phones too,
    OEM's do not want their shelf spot reserved for the newest trend - 'folding phones' to be left blank.
    What started with the Royale Flexipai and moved on with a reasonable slate from Samsung is now spreading to different companies, Huawei made a good product and eventually other companies will follow the trail to.

It's not about selling phones, it's all about having a phone in each category for each buyer. The only reason why we will see a lot of foldable phones upcoming! :)

At the same time not being left behind.

17. iamalive0
    Cupcake Mar 27, 2019

iamalive0 , Mar 27, 2019 :
    Why do some OEMs make such heavy modifications to Android, when it prolongs the team the consumers are on an old OS?

Why don't Android phone companies offer the choice between using stock Android and their own skin, wouldn't they get more users by providing a choice?

Ruby G. likes this.
  18. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Mar 27, 2019

Dresa91 , Mar 27, 2019 :
    @ruby.: wow, interesting idea :)
    hope we can keep it up:)

so, here are some questions:)

With 5G the question of radiation comes up again (I can already see the threads). How will the smartphone industry deal with this, and what additional possibilities are there in the design and construction of the smartphone to reduce radiation?

What do you think, or OnePlus: what is the next "big thing"? What can be characteristic in the future to differentiate from the competition?

Apple is still charging proud prices for its devices. The customers also buy them, probably justified by the support (updates, etc.). Is that a possibility that such a strategy can also be used with Android smartphones? So basically a lower price compared to Apple, but an equally long support period?

script, jlasensiofi, the_o2 and 5 others like this.
  19. LamoDamo
    Donut Mar 27, 2019

LamoDamo , Mar 27, 2019 :
    with all the development and innovation surrounding all aspects of technology, why have smartphones batteries not seen much development? we've seen alot of great charging technology developments, but it seems that companies just try to cram as much lithium-ion battery into a phone instead of looking towards developing a much longer-lasting alternative.

the one thing I'd love to see most in a slim phone is a week long battery.

AmritRajiva, MJCass and Ruby G. like this.
  20. Moin2200
    KitKat Mar 27, 2019

S1553895128790 and Ruby G. like this.