OnePlus Investigates Pt.2! We answer your industry questions.

1. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Apr 9, 2019

Ruby G. , Apr 9, 2019 :
    Forum (4).png

Hello friends,

We’re back with another edition of OnePlus Investigates! You ask, we answer. These are the most interesting ones we saw from the thread in March:

How did Qualcomm and Sony become the standard for hardware parts such as modems, processors and cameras? - @Daniel Hee

Why have smartphones batteries not seen much development? - @Damon003

Why are smartphones more powerful than laptops these days? - @the_o2

Reminder of how you can participate too:
    • Ask us the hardest/most interesting smartphone industry related question you can think of ---> If your question is chosen, we’ll send you a $20 USD voucher!
    • Give a better answer to a question than what we’ve found ---> We’ll send you a OnePlus Backpack.
    Feel free to leave us a question or alternative answer in the comments. Until next time!

We’ll select a maximum of one “better” answer per question answered, based on OnePlus staff and Mod team voting. Everyone is welcome to participate, but please note that since this is a North America team-led activity, all physical prizes will only be mailed to US or Canada addresses, with vouchers being awarded in USD or CAD respectively.

All responses in this series represent the analysis and opinions of individual team members and do not represent the views of OnePlus as a company. If you find that any response does is not accurate according to your understanding, please reply to this thread (or message Ruby G. via forums PM) with facts from an official, verified source and we will be happy to post an addendum.

2. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 10, 2019

palc , Apr 10, 2019 :
    Would ask the same qsn as in part one.

Why is there no perfect smartphone in the market? I'm not talking about perfect from a user's PoV. But, perfect from a company's PoV. Some smartphones lack in design, while some in materials, some in wireless charging, some in battery and some in camera. It's okay, I know technology changes every other day. But, why can't some company create a smartphone that excels in all areas for atleast a month, or atleast before some new tech is introduced.

3. David Y.
    Global Community Manager Staff Member Apr 10, 2019

David Y. , Apr 10, 2019 :
    Good question. Answers wanted.

I want to go further with your question: Why isn't there a perfect human being on earth that excels in all areas, even in the Marvel universe?

4. F_Prashant_Karmacharya_U
    Honeycomb Apr 10, 2019

F_Prashant_Karmacharya_U , Apr 10, 2019 :

David Y.

Good question. Answers wanted.

I want to go further with your question: Why isn't there a perfect human being on earth that excels in all areas, even in the Marvel universe?​

oke lets just forget new technologies and focus on essentials like Sd card slots, 3.5mm head phone jack, wireless charging etc..
    Are they really difficult to put into a phone for a sake of big battery, huge internal memory and fast wired charging??

just a thought [e]1f60a[/e][e]1f60a[/e]

5. pavanraghavaraju
    Gingerbread Apr 10, 2019

pavanraghavaraju , Apr 10, 2019 :
    Why can't we have IP68, Good camera, wireless charging & Good software like Samsung S10 + & Huawei P30 pro?

6. pavanraghavaraju
    Gingerbread Apr 10, 2019

7. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Apr 10, 2019

B_Wrath , Apr 10, 2019 :
    Congrats to all the winners!:)

@Ruby G. Excellent choices of questions selected:)
    Glad to see the knowledge sharing tradition continue:)

Jammin619, buntycubal, palc and 3 others like this.
  8. palc

palc , Apr 10, 2019 :
    That, I believe, is because within the community of human beings, perfect is just a concept. Noone knows which moral values are actually moral, what is actually good. Take this hypothetical example: A person stealing because he got fired from his job due to racism against him, and now he has to steal to feed his family. So, is he right or is he wrong? He is being a good member of his family by providing, but what about how he's providing? We don't know what ethics are yet. What some may consider ethical, other community may not. And how-much-ever hypothetical my example may be, we see such sort of stuff happening everyday, all around us - sometimes much more complex than what I stated.

But, I believe, the power of technology can be rated. For eg. we can rate that this smartphone is better than the other based on processing power. Or camera. Or software - which is again debatable. My question is only in terms of tech. Not software. It's true that many companies sacrifice in areas to maintain smartphone cost to cater to a specific category in economy. But, why can't bigger tech companies like Apple, or say Google or say Samsung achieve this feat? They anyway price their smartphones way over the cost price of the components. And people still buy their 1000$ smartphones. Why don't (atleast) they create a smartphone that excels in all areas - at least for the launch period - in terms of specs.

Now I personally have a theory in mind. They may do this because if a person is satisfied with a smartphone in all aspects when he buys it, they are less likely to change that smartphone because a newer one came in which is likely to decrease profits for the company. Is that true? I don't know.

Daniel Hee, Jammin619, MikeMp and 4 others like this.
  9. pavanraghavaraju
    Gingerbread Apr 10, 2019

10. YRJ
    Lollipop Apr 10, 2019

YRJ , Apr 10, 2019 :
    At any given point of time, in the android ecosystem there are MANY phones when compared to iphones.

As apple owns and develops IOS specifically for its models it is easy to optimise and work on for those models.
    On the other hand, in the android world there are hundreds maybe thousands of phones and each maker has to tweak the android framework according to their liking based on the hardware and the software skin they are using.

11. Hydra Bob
    Starting Point Expert Apr 10, 2019

Hydra Bob , Apr 10, 2019 :
    You obviously haven't met Franklin Richards;):p

buntycubal, G_plusone, the_o2 and 4 others like this.
  12. David Y.
    Global Community Manager Staff Member Apr 10, 2019

David Y. , Apr 10, 2019 :
    What should be the objectives/goals of this product?

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  13. Xnatty
    Honeycomb Apr 10, 2019

Xnatty , Apr 10, 2019 :
    idk about you but software wise oxygenOS is better, Samsung is just better feature wise by adding wireless, ip , ... so it's not that one plus can't do it , it's just if they add features people rarely use it would make the device cost up around 800-900$. do your research about OnePlus standing than buying it without a clue, they are about speed and performance, not about we have features you won't use, for more research use YouTube reviews I guess.

14. Xnatty
    Honeycomb Apr 10, 2019

Xnatty , Apr 10, 2019 :
    @David Y.
    according to the battery in the OnePlus, how do you intend we charge it and discharge it. there are alot of debate about charging it from 20-80% or draining it from 10-100. for maximum battery life what is your opinion on how to charge the OnePlus phones for long term usage?

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  15. palc

palc , Apr 10, 2019 :
    This product would cater to needs of all consumer types. And also help prolong the life of the device. People generally change their smartphone when they feel the need for better. And such a product will help a consumer retain it for more than 2 years which is the normal nowadays. Many consumers want a smartphone that has a good camera, good processing power for games and can continue to provide that throughout the lifetime of the device. This product would also retain a better value in resale and reuse as the consumer that is buying it in resale would still get a better smartphone than say one that focuses on processing power and has a low quality camera. Also, if a product is this good, and the company also manages to tweak the software in a way that most users prefer (like OOS or LineageOS), that sort of a smartphone would need much less marketing strategies than a normal one. It would spread better in terms of word of mouth as the absolute best for that period. Ofcourse there will still be points to criticise as new technologies come up. But I don't think tech today is so fast as to totally overcome this product in a year. Take for eg. OP3. Yes it had it's compromises but people still preferred it in 2017 as it had made the right compromises - a feat that no other brand except Samsung, Nexus and Apple have achieved. Now think of a no-compromise smartphone. How long will that last and how long will people prefer that?

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  16. palc

palc , Apr 10, 2019 :
    [e]1f602[/e] That was funny. But patience is key. It takes time to implement security updates too. Would you rather have Security updates and delay pie more or have pie early? That's the smartphone industry question you need to answer for yourself. Also, there's not any BIG flaw been discovered in Android that your phone is at risk without security updates. Had it been the case, you wouldn't have to ask OP to deliver. :)

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  17. YRJ
    Lollipop Apr 10, 2019

YRJ , Apr 10, 2019 :
    Given that OEM's have started releasing 2 major phones a year, the above idea would kill sales.

And if (majority) people start buying 1 phone every 2 years it would turn out to be warning bells for OEM's.
    I don't think that any manufacturer us up for the challenge and frankly speaking one cannot survive in this competitive market that makes the user upgrade only once in 2 years, not to mention the slim profits.

Ravi BINAVAT and palc like this.
  18. aphrahman
    Froyo Apr 10, 2019

aphrahman , Apr 10, 2019 :
    Why don't you make a small size Battery for 4000mAh and above powered to give the better space in the smartphone. Like already resized a big sized memory card to a small one, or a normal SIM to Nano-SIM etc.?

19. palc

palc , Apr 10, 2019 :
    Agree with your answer. That is also what I think.

But is that the only reason why no perfect-for-the-time-being smartphone is made? I asked it here as I would like to hear it from a company's PoV or from the PoV of some person who's in the industry.

YRJ and Ravi BINAVAT like this.
  20. aphrahman
    Froyo Apr 10, 2019

aphrahman , Apr 10, 2019 :
    Any thought about a single camera on the smartphone introducing that only can be used for rear and front side. For example, just one camera of 32MP or 48MP in the phone and that only mechanism as using it for rear and front without introducing with as many cameras', flash' and lens' etc.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.