OnePlus is no longer Community driven, it's forcing decisions down the throat of Users!

?

What do you as a user feel about the 3.5 mm jack ?

1. Must Have

74 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. It's better if it's there

32 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. No need

26 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. Radeon962
    KitKat Sep 14, 2018

Radeon962 , Sep 14, 2018 :
    You do realize that OnePlus has never listened to "the Community" from the start? The business model is to take What Oppo designs and upgrade the internals, put OOS on it and slap the OnePlus logo on it and market the crap out of it.

All the way back with the OnePlus One, Carl Pei was looking for a way to "monetize the user" (that's where you come in as a member of the forums and OnePlus owner.

From a 2014 interview with Carl Pei:

Pei explained that the goal is to eventually create a loyal fanbase of users who then spend money with OnePlus in other places after buying a phone. “Later on we can convert these users and monetize them through software and services,” Pei told The Wall Street Journal. “The way we see things is that hardware is increasingly becoming the distribution vehicle for software.” Pei didn’t explain what OnePlus will sell, through presumably it could be some sort of software – perhaps subscription services.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/12/14/heres-how-oneplus-plans-to-make-money-from-you/

OnePlus has followed the Apple model but not on the same scale and most likely will never get there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...08/how-apple-inc-makes-most-of-its-money.aspx

It's a launchpad for Apple Services
    That brand loyalty makes the iPhone an ideal launch pad for Apple's growing Services business, which includes the App Store, iTunes, iBooks, AppleCare, Apple Pay, and Apple Music. CEO Tim Cook has repeatedly stated that Apple plans to grow its software services to offset its gradual slowdown in iPhone sales. Apple's Services revenue rose 18% annually and accounted for 9% of its top line last quarter, but there have been a few speed bumps.

The Apple Dongle has been the best selling accessory at Best Buy for the past two years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-dongle-most-popular-apple-accessory-best-buy

That's easy money for OnePlus if the eventual hope is to convert all you OnePlus fans to cash after you buy your phone. Whether through accessories, software or something else the machine is looking for ways to cash in on your loyalty.

You need to speak with your wallet and buy something else for OnePlus to truly listen as its a bottom line business driven by BBK Electronics and not you or any other user in these forums (short of Carl Pei or Pete Lau making a brief appearance and then vanishing for months).

Bugis likes this.
  2. Mustasim
    Honeycomb Sep 14, 2018

3. jmpickrell
    Froyo Sep 14, 2018

4. chrstph_brthl
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

chrstph_brthl , Sep 14, 2018 :
    Well the Headphone Jack made me switch from my old iPhone 6 to the 5T last year, since Apple pissed me of with their adapter policy, the CPU throttling when the battery gets older and those other pranks.
    Every adapter just sucks, of course for most they might be okay at least, but its still an adapter, fixing something thats not working natively. I also agree that you can almost adapt anything on a stationary device, because you can kinda hide it and you won't fortget it anywhere, since it's always connected, but yeah we're talking about a smartphone obviously, you'll run into moments when you forgot your stupid adapter at home, you just lose it, or it breaks.
    Visually, you have that adapter where you plug your headphones in, instead of having them clean in the jack, and that might be a small issue, for me it's also, but you can't say it's as 'clean' as plugging in your headphones in your 3.5mm jack.
    Better example for this might be the newer Macbook Pro's, I own an early 2015 one, actually the last USB-A, SD Card Reader,... one. Nobody can say it's ports are outdated and stuff, I can still plug in the SD Card right out of my DSLM Camera, to import pictures and videos, the USB-A Ports also works for everything I'm and 90% of the users are using, while USB-C won't without stupid adapters. Of course Type C is way more versatile in common, but the tech you are using those things with are still the same. So Type C only forces me to get adapters, which cost extra money getting me a device which also looks less 'pro' then. You can hate the Macbook, but you have to admit, the finish is kind of perfect. I don't get why I should screw this.
    Also what I totally do not understand is, where are those Bluetooth Headphones Wireless? Bullets for Example, okay you connect them via Bluetooth, but you have those 'devilish' wires still hanging around in your neck, i really don't understand where this is any progress, still having wires on even weirder places, getting no better sound, even worse without aptx, and for all of this you also have to charge a battery for 5-8 hours of usage, where is this the new tech everybody needs?
    Airpods might be, but they sound like 10$ headphones, while you have to pay 150$. Bose also has those Soundsport Free ones for 200$ with better sound than Airpods at least, but they look pretty bulky. And there are probably some more, but none without flaws. and 80% of those as wireless marketed headphones just aren't wireless, they just have a wire less, L U L.
    Last point is still you can't adapt headphones and charge at the same time. Of course I can the sacrifice the 30 minutes of dash charging looking for another activity instead of watching a video or something on my phone, but sacrificing this and having a worse phone for me, sucks even more.
    At the moment I'm annoyed, I was pretty sure to buy the 6T, I was pretty hyped to be honest, since my 5T has an ugly scratch on it's display, yes i also dislike protection, and love the pureness of a well built phone. I was pretty sure going with Oneplus for the next few years at least, their community closeness was pretty cool. Phones are best bang for the buck, but seeing them now forcing this is sad. The new features, instead of the headphone jack, better be pretty cool, just for 200mAh more battery it's not worth for the most of us. Right now I see me going back to Apple, because they offer the same for me, with a better OS, and that's worth the 300$ for me.
    Still have like 1% of hope those rumors arent true, fingers crossed.

Ghoostreccon likes this.
  5. Orangeatang
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

Orangeatang , Sep 14, 2018 :
    My last three phones have been from OnePlus; I have zero interest in replacing my excellent AudioTechnica M50xs, or using an annoying dongle. "Never Settle"... no I won't.

Bugis and RafiqKas like this.
  6. O1536949289216
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

O1536949289216 , Sep 14, 2018 :
    Was waiting to purchase the 6T for my wife. I think it'll have to be the 6 now while I still can.
    I can't believe after running a poll, they decide to remove the jack. Seems like a bad business move.

7. Adam.rosenthal
    Gingerbread Sep 14, 2018

Adam.rosenthal , Sep 14, 2018 :
    According to this article, OnePlus thinks that 59% of OnePlus own bluetooth headphones so now it's safe to get rid of the headphone jack. Like the article states, it doesn't mean that people who use bluetooth headphones don't also use wired headphones.

https://www.androidcentral.com/heres-why-oneplus-getting-rid-headphone-jack-oneplus-6t

Personally, I never use wired headphones because I have bluetooth ones that sound good enough and I hate wires but I enjoy the comfort of knowing I can use my wired headphones when the batteries in my Bluetooth ones run dry and that I could enjoy high quality sound if I get some better wired headphones.

8. G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf
    Froyo Sep 14, 2018

G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf , Sep 14, 2018 :
    Sometimes a brand makes certain compromises when being a "flagship killer" takes precedence over other things like what the user really wants and that involves doing whatever it takes to stay true to it's name.

This will be a test for OnePlus. If the sales of the 6T are going to be great then that's going to mean that a majority of their fan base and others switching from iOS or other Android phones did not consider the absence of a headphone jack to be a deal-breaker. Remember that despite a lot of people complaining and cribbing about the notch the OP 6 still did well. For those that will sorely miss the headphone jack they'll just have to compromise with other options out there like Huawei or LG.... or better still choose not to upgrade if you already own an OP phone.

You never know.. The jack could make a return some day... Or not! Who knows...! But this is how technology is evolving and that's the way its going to be. So my point is.... Much like the notch-haters, the headphone jack lovers are going to be a minority!

Personally as long as I use Android I'm never going to switch to Huawei or LG. The software experience on my OP is absolutely the best. OP 3 and 3T are going to get Android P I hear. I'd rather appreciate the ability to update my phone to the latest Android version than worry about hardware.

MikeMp likes this.
  9. neoxid501
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

neoxid501 , Sep 14, 2018 :
    Not sure what they were thinking, I LOVE not needing to carry a dongle with me or worrying about losing it :(

Hopefully it's not too late for them to correct this with the 6t, but if not hopefully they'll revise it for the 7 :/

10. Asis21
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

Asis21 , Sep 14, 2018 :
    I refuse to buy a phone without a 3.5 mm audio jack. The oneplus 5 I have will be the last oneplus phone I ever buy unless they reverse their decision.

Orangeatang and kevonn95 like this.
  11. Mr.Rawal
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

Mr.Rawal , Sep 14, 2018 :
    Yes. It was to launch the upcoming OP6T during December ; (i.e); one phone every 6th months .Not it decided to launch in next month October.

12. kevonn95
    Honeycomb Sep 14, 2018

kevonn95 , Sep 14, 2018 :
    I agree so much! OnePlus turned out to have Marketing myopia, as they don't listen to customers anymore but they make and impose their products. Hope people don't buy the OP6T

Oh, this decision benefits Samsung though... I prefer to spend $300/400 more and have ALL things I need

RafiqKas likes this.
  13. Zaman Saaz
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

Zaman Saaz , Sep 14, 2018 :
    1. Most good quality headphones are based on 3.5mm Jack.
    With this decision Oneplus will technically also force us to switch our favorite headphone set.
    2. this makes it difficult for us to connect the phone to traditional speakers or in case using an aux.
    3. The market from audio companies side has not yet shifted to type c, this makes it difficult for us and we will be forced to buy Wireless headsets or bullets stype c earphones.

Oneplus is a company that started for Geeks and to have a separate Identity but now it's falling prey to the marketing style of it's sister companies like Oppo and Vivo..... strange that when companies targeting very high end market like Samsung have still sustained with the Jack. with the kind of market oneplus is targeting, it's a sin to leave out such a basic thing. it will be even stranger if these guys still don't introduce wireless charging and IP certification as those were more important than removing a headphone jack.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018

14. Greg Hogan
    Eclair Sep 14, 2018

Greg Hogan , Sep 14, 2018 :
    on the nose old man,

15. amartens181
    KitKat Sep 14, 2018

16. srinivas0301
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 14, 2018

srinivas0301 , Sep 14, 2018 :

Zaman Saaz

1. Most good quality headphones are based on 3.5mm Jack.
    With this decision Oneplus will technically also force us to switch our favorite headphone set.
    2. this makes it difficult for us to connect the phone to traditional speakers or in case using an aux.
    3. The market from audio companies side has not yet shifted to type c, this makes it difficult for us and we will be forced to buy Wireless headsets or bullets stype c earphones.​

If most of the products opted for the same type c audio output then obviously we can see type C earphones with in no time .

17. Zaman Saaz
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

18. Ghoostreccon
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

Ghoostreccon , Sep 14, 2018 :
    They lost me, and I been a fan from oneplus one, OP6T will lose alot of people. They brag about listening of their COMMUNITY. This decision is just to continue the trend.

19. GA026
    Donut Sep 14, 2018

GA026 , Sep 14, 2018 :
    OnePlus better listen to us or they will regret it. The pocophone is all of the sudden turning into the option the OnePlus phones used to be. Listen to the community that are very disappointed and reflects a very different opinion than what the Carl Pei is saying. You aren't apple that can afford forcing their customers to whatever they want to. The OnePlus is barely 4 years old with a small community that is growing because they used to listen. Remove the headphone jack and you will see the concequences

Vinaykumar_a likes this.
  20. Vinaykumar_a
    Donut Sep 14, 2018

arifholmes likes this.