Oneplus Launcher continually crashing on 3T

1. NiceBloke
    Donut Feb 19, 2021

NiceBloke , Feb 19, 2021 :
    Hi all,

Noticed last night that my 3T was behaving slightly oddly (keylock turning on while I was reading something on the screen, etc.) so rebooted it. Looked back to find just a blank backdrop with no icons and a “OnePlus launcher has crashed”. It then tries to come back, lists no apps, then shows all the icons in the system tray in low resolution, then displays the message again. This cycle repeats.

I have seen quite a few threads on this over the last few years on all types on OP phones with no obvious cause or resolution. I’ve not installed anything new or received any updates, I have tried backing up the app and restoring, I have tried deleting the cache, the phone has plenty of space on it, I changed to Google launcher which sort of worked but I lost all my icon groups (and some extra issues, see below), etc. and as a last resort I restored the app to defaults which seems to be the most widely suggested solution - this has taken me to a totally blank backdrop so I was about to start setting up icon groups again, but then noticed other problems:

1. Home button and Task Switcher button don’t appear to do anything now - they physically work as they activate clock when the screen is on / work as fingerprint sensor, but the phone is impossible to use as you just have to hit back back back to get out of any app you are using.

2. Settings cog in the drop down menu doesn’t work - you have to access settings through the app tray

3. It won’t let me install anything - I tried to install Nova Launcher but it just sits on “pending”. I have cleared the Play Store cache as well.

4. No notifications for anything are appearing on the top line

(Interestingly this all happened when I was using the Google launcher as well so I wonder if it is a separate issue that has occurred at the same time)

Is there any reasoning behind any of this, or any solution? I feel I have done all I can without a hard reset and I don’t want to lose all my data. I still haven’t found a decent way of backing up my phone. I know it’s old now but it does everything I need. Is it time to retire it?

Please help!

2. NiceBloke
    Donut Feb 19, 2021

NiceBloke , Feb 19, 2021 :
    PS - I’ve just noticed that despite having restored OP Launcher to defaults it won’t let me place any files on the backdrop. Something very wrong here.

3. H1557861646905
    Cupcake Feb 23, 2021

H1557861646905 , via OnePlus 3 , Feb 23, 2021 :
    I have started having this issue from today. Don't want to reset as have lots of memory pics on phone. Any help appreciated. Had this phone from launch. Writing this on my old 1+ 3. Also the LEDs either side of finger print button no longer light up.
    1614092693239.jpg
    y 1614092693666.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021

4. NiceBloke
    Donut Feb 23, 2021

NiceBloke , Feb 23, 2021 :
    Sorry to hear you are having the same issue, but glad it’s not just me. To be fair you shouldn’t lose anything on your phone (apart from your icon placement which is annoying enough after years of fine tuning).

I’m afraid I have given up and ordered a new phone - all the googling I have done has just confirmed that there seem to be various issues with the OP Launcher but none of them seem to be so terminal as mine - I have tried everything short of a hard reset.

Biggest annoyance at the moment is restoring everything to my new phone has restored the lack of any icons on the backdrop which is supremely irritating...

5. H1557861646905
    Cupcake Feb 24, 2021

H1557861646905 , via OnePlus 3 , Feb 24, 2021 :
    Yes I'm having difficulty getting the one app I need to connect phone to pc KDE connect so I can save all my pics to my GNU/Linux Drive. Considering getting Motorola Edge+ particularly in photo department it outstrips 1+7T Pro and currently dropped from £1049 to £599 about £30 dearer than the 1+7T Pro that in a Which? report stated that the 1+7T had a higher camera spec than the 1+ 8. Thanks for responding and take care.

6. H1557861646905
    Cupcake Feb 24, 2021

H1557861646905 , via OnePlus 3 , Feb 24, 2021 :
    I've discovered an option to reset launcher to factory defaults but it states it will remove all data. Will this include personal data such as pics or just the apps icons / data?

7. H1557861646905
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2021

H1557861646905 , via OnePlus 3 , Feb 25, 2021 :
    Partial success I managed to uninstall via Play Store. Managed to transfer a few files across using KDE Connect but having to resort to Windows to import pictures and videos. Can't seem to get replacement launcher installed and email app is pointing bizarrely to a breakdown recovery app instead of Email or Gmail so looks like it is definitely on its last legs. Once I have backed up all my data I will see if I can truly brick it by turning it into an 'E' phone (pure android without Google.

8. H1557861646905
    Cupcake Feb 26, 2021

H1557861646905 , via OnePlus 3T , Feb 26, 2021 :
    Update. Somehow I managed to get the playstore to open showing one plus launcher app, removed it then went to Settings to change charge to file transfer, backed up the whole phone to pc did a refresh and good as new so no need to go searching for a replacement. Currently trialling Smart launcher and yet to try Nova launcher (free version.