OnePlus N10 5G & N100 update policy

1. TMCLS.
    Froyo Nov 12, 2020

TMCLS. , Nov 12, 2020 :
    I saw some articles on the internet from xda developers, android authority that the new "budget" devices of Oneplus only will get one major Android upgrade and two years of security updates..,

Where is the good software support that OnePlus garanteed?

tim31 likes this.

3. CuriousLad95
    Eclair Nov 12, 2020

CuriousLad95 , Nov 12, 2020 :
    Android Central was actually the first to broadcast this disappointment. I can understand a case for the N100 but the N10 is only ~$40-60 cheaper (based on AliEx price history) and only 1-step below in terms of specs compared to the vanilla Nord. I (and many commenters in those articles) have negative feelings on what OnePlus said about "looking for ways to improve the software experience for all OnePlus devices" while admitting to providing mediocre software update support in the same breath.

puccellino, Bobbie63 and Mr. BG like this.
  4. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 12, 2020

Bobbie63 , Nov 12, 2020 :
    So where is the line?

5. TMCLS.
    Froyo Nov 12, 2020

hal18ut, bobsta and bian791 like this.

7. CuriousLad95
    Eclair Nov 13, 2020

CuriousLad95 , Nov 13, 2020 :
    Agreed. The $129 Nokia 2.3 and $350 Nokia 7.2 are guaranteed two years of platform updates and three years of security updates, while Samsung (mid-range and up) and Google (Pixel 4A is a $300 phone) have committed up to 3 years of platform updates.

So as it stands, the mid-range Nord will get the ethical support treatment while the other mid-range Nord N10 will get the "unwanted son/daughter" treatment. The US market wasn't even offered the £379 (EU price) Nord and is instead offered the slightly cheaper £329 Nord N10 (OnePlus hinted that the US market will get one), then this.

Smartphone consumers need to understand that software updates are necessary to keep a phone feature updated, secure, and ensure longevity to avoid contributing to the global catastrophe that is e-waste. In order to achieve this, phones must at least have a support life-cycle of at least 3 years (I'm counting on security updates) and Oneplus' mediocre commitment on the N10 is disappointing, to put it mildly.

bobsta, bian791 and TMCLS. like this.
  8. bian791
    Cupcake Nov 14, 2020

bian791 , Nov 14, 2020 :
    I feel disappointed, im buying a N10, I'm waiting for the shipment, and I saw this update policy and I'm thinking about to cancel the order. I did the purchase with ilussion, oneplus always do a good job with the updates..

9. Timalay
    Gingerbread Nov 14, 2020

Timalay , Nov 14, 2020 :
    I feel only updating the N10 once is a bit of a cop-out on OnePlus's side. The N10 is only £50 cheaper than the original Nord. At £329 I feel people would want at least 2 major updates.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020

bobsta and Josh261995 like this.
  10. Josh261995
    Froyo Nov 14, 2020

Josh261995 , via OnePlus 8T , Nov 14, 2020 :
    Cancel it, you can find much better options

11. WolfpackN64
    Jelly Bean Nov 14, 2020

WolfpackN64 , Nov 14, 2020 :
    If Samsung outstrips your update policy on even cheaper phones, you know yours is bad.

12. TMCLS.
    Froyo Nov 15, 2020

TMCLS. , Nov 15, 2020 :
    I think Smartphone brand should ALL need to have a minimum policy. Like Nokia is doing; They have the same update policy for every device in every price range. So a 200 dollar smartphone is getting the same 2 year OS and 3 year of security updates like a 500 or 600 dollar phone from the same brand. But that's because they're in the Android One program of Google and they need to provide this as one of the requirements, but that update strategy is a good start in my opinion.

And yes, if Google at some point will provide 4-5 years of updates, maybe manufacturers will follow hopefully....But yes software updates cost money and time....

13. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Nov 15, 2020

14. McJader
    KitKat Nov 15, 2020

Mr. BG likes this.
  15. malidan
    Nougat Nov 17, 2020

16. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Mr. BG , Nov 28, 2020 :
    Seems we can't trust you anymore! :D

malidan likes this.
  17. malidan
    Nougat Dec 5, 2020

malidan , Dec 5, 2020 :
    You do know Samsung is No. 2 when it comes to updates on the Android side of things. They are also no. 2 when it comes to longevity with the S7 approching 5 year worth is support. This makes me Wonder why you are attempting to throw a negative light over Samsung.
    Those stale old Samsung tales are just that and your comment shows you are out of touch with reality.

Matt 80 likes this.
  18. CuriousLad95
    Eclair Dec 6, 2020

CuriousLad95 , Dec 6, 2020 :
    It is a problem if we base our expectations of software on the apparent price of the hardware because the price does not reveal everything.

Also, I reiterate the unfortunate fact that companies are incentivized to churn out cheaper phones that are accessible to the majority of the population but are designed not to last because they know that this is where the money lies in the business of smartphones. When money talks, greed follows.

If individuals continue to patronize (or be fanatics) of this particular company [OnePlus] and not see that they're emulating one of the worst aspects of the electronics corporate mentality, then i will be frank in saying that it is becoming difficult to see how we, as a species, would arrive in a truly sustainable future.

bobsta likes this.
  19. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Dec 6, 2020

Topper_Gas , Dec 6, 2020 :
    The Nord 5G won't all stop working just because they don't get updated to Android OS 13? I'm still using my OP3 w/o any issues on Android 9.

Although I've no seen an official announcements the Nord 5G will only be getting the one OS update.

20. CuriousLad95
    Eclair Dec 11, 2020

CuriousLad95 , Dec 11, 2020 :
    You're missing the point buddy so I'll break it down for you.

Why is software support important for smartphones? Well, you have new and/or improved features, bug fixing, renewal of digital certificates, and minor & major vulnerability fixes. If we look at the in-house software, there are many reports of bugs still present in the N10 such as a non-responsive display after idling, non-responsive fingerprint sensor after idling, widevine drm stuck in L3 (should be L1), not properly hibernating during long idle time, etc and these bugs are well publicized so OP should be privy to them.

Bugs take some time to squash but vulnerabilities take even longer to uncover and patch and do you think 2 yrs is bloody enough? I think I recall an iOS critical vulnerability that affected new and old phones making them risky to use so Apple had to issue patches even on older devices. So imagine using your Nord after 2 years only to find out that an independent group (think of XDA developers forum, etc) reports critical vulnerabilities either in OxygenOS or in Android 11. Have you read this article about how Android 7.1 and older versions will be unable to use nearly a third of websites (browser, applications, and in-built OS functionalities) because of a certificate expiration? How confident will you be with your Nord by then?

Also you said you have an OP3 that came with Android 6 but was graced with 9 so you're comparing a device that received 3 OS upgrades to one that will supposedly get only 1. You're lucky you won't get to deal with the certificate expiration issue.