OnePlus N10 5G & N100 update policy

1. Chris1223
    Eclair May 1, 2021

Chris1223 , May 1, 2021 :
    The price is for the hardware and for the software. If you're going to be a hardware vendor you need to support the software that is on that product for as long as the product is supported. This doesn't mean just minor updates but major updates as well.
    These two phones are becoming the most popular on prepaid services. As well as on other vendors in the United States. You would think the popularity means they would want to do a better job supporting the operating system. Especially for a company as well popular and well liked as OnePlus.
    I would hope with the popularity of these devices that OnePlus would reconsider this upgrade policy.

Last edited: May 7, 2021

2. teotl
    Cupcake May 1, 2021

3. gabriele , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , May 2, 2021 :
    It's not like it won't get Android 13, it won't even get Android 12 and still doesn't have Android 11.
    Should mention the fact that the N10 5G is one of the newest OnePlus phones and came out when Android 11 was out already, which means it should have started with Android 11 and get AT MINIMUM Android 12, this is not what's happening.
    It came out with Android 10 and they said it will only get Android 11, and we still don't know when, yet at the same time older and less powerful OnePlus devices have it or are getting Android 11 and will get Android 12.
    Doesn't seem like a proper way to treat customers IMHO, I feel like a second category customer because I went for the N10 5G for the simple fact that 3.5mm jack and expandable memory are nowhere to be found now on the other OnePlus models and now we're being punished for choosing the N10 5G over pricier yet stripped down phones.

Also I would have happily paid those 5-10 bucks more to get the slider and notification LED, it's not expensive stuff but makes the difference, I'm not saying the AMOLED screen because that's surely more expensive.

Last edited: May 2, 2021

SDMF and Chris1223 like this.
  4. dzenizo
    Froyo May 6, 2021

dzenizo , May 6, 2021 :
    This decision was not taken lightly by OP. Most people change phones every 3 or 4 years, or sooner if the battery starts to lose charge, or if there's a better phone... Sooo, in this era of consumism, it doen't make sense to build "maintenable" phones, it's use it and throw it away. So it doesn't make sense to hike the price of the phone by "supporting" it. Don't like it? Buy another model/brand, OP is NOT going to change...

5. Chris1223 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G Metro , May 7, 2021 :
    The point is it's not getting 3-4 years. It's barely even getting one year since Android 11 already was out when this phone came out. If people on average keep their phones for three or four years then the OEMs need to support the hardware for 3 to 4 years. One of the reasons the iPhone is so popular isn't just the hardware but the fact that you can guarantee you will continually get iOS updates for 4 plus years. If Android phone makers would be more consistent with their updates buyers would probably stick with them longer rather than keep flip floping back and forth between different phone manufacturers every time they buy a new device trying to find one that will be supportive for a longer period of time.

gabriele likes this.
  6. gabriele , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , May 7, 2021 :
    This is the silliest answer that could be given honestly.

7. teotl
    Cupcake May 7, 2021

8. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 May 9, 2021

drl431 , May 9, 2021 :
    OnePlus does not release ETA's for updates, but generally they are bi-monthly (about every 2 months).

9. gabriele
    Eclair May 15, 2021

gabriele , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , May 15, 2021 :
    Apparently people forgot that phones (except IPhones) weren't this expensive. Usually an Android phone considered medium-high range was around €300-400, and that was also the price of OnePlus phones till the 3, then everything changed and OnePlus and some other brands started to inflate prices till the point if reaching crazy €800+
    People have really bad memory and like to be treated like crap by companies accepting everything, even when they remove features like user replaceable battery, expandable memory, 3.5mm jack.
    Not enough people stopped buying and complained about this not realizing the customer DOES have the power, it's easy to make companies step back simply by complaining and not buying.

SDMF likes this.

11. L1621625277018
    Cupcake May 21, 2021

L1621625277018 , May 21, 2021 :
    I have been a Motorola user for many years, but I need a new phone and am sick of the lack of OS and security updates. So, I was seriously thinking of OnePlus and considering either the N10 5G or really spending some $$ and going for the 8T. However, the lack of OS and security updates on the N10 make it seem like a very bad choice, even if the specs and price are perfect for me. IMO, if OnePlus really wants to stand out, Motorola is not the support model that OnePlus should follow -- it should be the Google one.

Even better, I wish cell phones were more like PCs. I have a 16 year old HP desktop (purchased new in 2005 from Sam's Club for $500). It was running Windows 7 at the time, then was converted to Windows 10 years ago, and it's still going strong. It gets lots of updates from Microsoft and there are no issues. However, in that same time period, I've gone through 2 iPhones and 2 Motorola phones.

Chris1223 likes this.